Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Intensive Speech Therapy for toddler
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:44 pm
Where can I get intensive, immersive speech therapy for my 3 year old that doesn't talk yet in NYC? What do I do to get him talking?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:49 pm
Do you want to get him evaluated through an agency?
Or do you want to skip the process and pay out of pocket?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:50 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Do you want to get him evaluated through an agency?
Or do you want to skip the process and pay out of pocket?

Why can’t she go through her insurance? find a m in network speech therapist. OP consider posting your boro and insurance and you may get more targeted response s

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:53 pm
He's been getting EI for 2 years and was evaluated for CPSE already but I don't think what he was approved for will be enough so at this point I'm willing to try something else as well. But if I'm paying, I need it to be really good.

bsy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 10:28 pm
Try a center based program, like strivright

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:11 pm
Does he talk at all? For instance children with apraxia of speech do much better with a specialized therapy such as prompt therapy. Also I think strivright is for children with auditory processing delays.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:20 am
I also think a place like strivright is good but for various other reasons it won't work right now. Is there anything else like an outpatient therapy place of some sort? I dont even know if what I'm looking for exists...

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:51 am
Have you checked his hearing?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:01 am
Is he typical in every way with the exception of expressive language? Does he understand all you say? Does he have good eye contact, initiate and maintain play with others?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Have you checked his hearing?

Yes and had tubed put in even though it wasn't excessive fluid but enough that in case that was the cause we did it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Is he typical in every way with the exception of expressive language? Does he understand all you say? Does he have good eye contact, initiate and maintain play with others?

He does have other developmental delays but this is by far the worst of them. Everything else he does, just took a little longer or is still a bit clumsy but this has not budged. He does understand everything and is good with eye contact etc.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:17 am
What did the EI people say was causing it? Do they think it’s a language delay or something else, like apraxia?

What spoken words or word approximations does he produce?

Do you have the time to work on skills yourself?

Is your son getting frustrated?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:21 am
If his team thinks it’s just a delay, and you can work on it yourself, then get It Takes Two to Talk ($54 on Amazon, overpriced but good) and follow what it says to do. Also listen to Laura Mize’s podcasts, and right now because of covid, her Teach Me to Talk dvd is available to watch free on youtube.

bsy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I also think a place like strivright is good but for various other reasons it won't work right now. Is there anything else like an outpatient therapy place of some sort? I dont even know if what I'm looking for exists...

There are clinics. Strivright has one, as does omni and yeled. They do speech therapy sessions usually through insurance or dept of education.

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:25 am
I know there are 2 week 'camps' for intensive therapy. It usually goes by diagnosis. Does your kid have a diagnosis? There is no magic button to get a non verbal kid to talk. I wish there was.

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:28 am
https://www.apraxia-kids.org/a.....axia/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 10:26 am
bsy wrote:
There are clinics. Strivright has one, as does omni and yeled. They do speech therapy sessions usually through insurance or dept of education.

Okay that's good to know. I'll look into these. Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 10:28 am
bnm wrote:
I know there are 2 week 'camps' for intensive therapy. It usually goes by diagnosis. Does your kid have a diagnosis? There is no magic button to get a non verbal kid to talk. I wish there was.

He has not been officially diagnosed with apraxia but its been referenced by his therapist and the evaluators. (He also had a traumatic birth but everything else is catching up and this just isnt)

I looked at the link you put in the next post and I wish I would have seen them earlier, seems like they're summer camps.

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has not been officially diagnosed with apraxia but its been referenced by his therapist and the evaluators. (He also had a traumatic birth but everything else is catching up and this just isnt)

I looked at the link you put in the next post and I wish I would have seen them earlier, seems like they're summer camps.

has he seen a neurologist? he might need a catscan or mri to rule out TBI.

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:59 pm
also check out this link. http://www.kidspeech.com/

I don't know if any of these intensive things are happening now due to COVID. I know I looked into one at a certain point but decided my child didn't need something that intensive anymore.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics