Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to make 2 year old understand he can’t run in street?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:54 pm
He knows he can’t. He used to not. Now it became a game and he started running away from me occasionally. I’m pregnant and it’s hard for me to run after him fast enough. Any ideas how to discipline him?

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:55 pm
Keep him strapped into a stroller if you think he might run

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:57 pm
Zehava wrote:

This. Tell him this is the alternative. If he’s clever he’ll learn pretty quick

amother
OP

Zehava wrote:

I can’t always, every second I’m outside, have him in a stroller. He also hates that.

amother
Yellow

Buckled in the stroller is where he belongs.
He is not capable of understanding. That's like punishing someone nearsighted for not being able to see without glasses.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:58 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Buckled in the stroller is where he belongs.
He is not capable of understanding. That's like punishing someone nearsighted for not being able to see without glasses.

He used to understand. He says “boo boo” when I tell him he can’t go in the street. He started pushing boundaries a lot lately.

Learning

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:59 pm
You can’t make him understand. He is only two years old. I saw someone some wearing kind of a vest and there is kind of a “leash” and the parent was holding the leash. It looks bad but at least the child can walk and doesn’t need to be in the stroller

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:01 pm
Either strapped in the stroller or take him inside. He'll learn very fast.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He used to understand. He says “boo boo” when I tell him he can’t go in the street. He started pushing boundaries a lot lately.

If he is running into the street then he does not understand even if it seems he used to.

Genius

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:03 pm
My three year old knows that if he runs in the street we go home. No more playing on the street that day. It worked.
If you’re outside because you’re going somewhere then definitely strap him into the carriage

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can’t always, every second I’m outside, have him in a stroller. He also hates that.

Of. Course he does. That’s the point!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:06 pm
I have this "monkey". All my kids used it at a certain age. Yes, I sometimes get dirty looks when I'm in public places. But I'd take that any day over having a child get lost (like in the airport) or run into a street. My kids tend to be runners and I just won't take a chance.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:09 pm
You can't count on a two-year-old to understand that...
Let's face it: humans are quite stupid and have under-developed survival instincts, and a very long learning phase...
Why do three-year-olds drown in pools?

You can't count on such little humans to keep themselves safe.
You have to supervise them till they get it. And that's not at two years old...

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:11 pm
My oldest was a runner. We only went places that were fenced in. Anything else was too stressful.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:14 pm
You can’t make him listen. You must watch him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:21 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
You can’t make him listen. You must watch him.
I watch him every second. He’s still faster than me sometimes. I was hoping there was a consequence that would teach him not to do it again but I guess there isn’t.

soap suds

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
If he is running into the street then he does not understand even if it seems he used to.
He may not have understood why, but it seems like he understood that he's not allowed to. OP he's testing you to see how much he can get away with. I agree with the posters who said to take him inside or strap him into the stroller as soon as he attempts to run into the street. I also like the idea of the leash thingy. I wouldn't worry about how it looks. If he's happy wearing it, it could be a win-win for both of you.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:22 pm
When I was going through that phase, strapping into a carriage or go back in-yes, a consequence for me too. I also kept repeating, on the road, only while holding mommy's hand. Only way they learnt.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I watch him every second. He’s still faster than me sometimes. I was hoping there was a consequence that would teach him not to do it again but I guess there isn’t.

The consequence is strapped in the stroller or going inside. There isn't a quick fix to the situation or a way to make him learn on the spot.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:29 pm
There’s this strap that my mother used on my younger brother when he was a toddler.
It was this cute little monkey backpack that had straps that she put his arms through (like a regular backpack) and the straps also had straps attached to them to buckle over the chest

And the backpack had a leash like thing attached to the top of it and there was a loop for my mothers wrist to go through. .

I plan to use this with my son if he is one of those “runners”

Hatzlocha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics