Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cant fall asleep

Moonlight

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:27 am
DS age 8 has a really hard time falling asleep at night. He can lay there for 2 hours. He is not going to sleep too early. He asked me to take him to doctor but doctor says it's not medical and he needs to learn to meditate to sleep. I tried to teach him basic relaxation techniques but they weren't helpful
I personally take sleeping pills so idk how to help him.
Ideas?

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:06 am
Melatonin. Works wonders, and my doctor who is usually anti extra medications says it's no problem to give it.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:15 am
Camille tea with milk and honey.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:36 am
I rub lavender oil on their chest and put some on their pillow... Works pretty well.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:48 am
Melatonin !!!!!

Moonlight

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:58 am
So occasionally I resort to melatonin but my husband freaks out that I shouldn't give it! Guess I will double check w pediatrician about that

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:58 am
Is your husband a doctor?

Melatonin is something that is naturally produced in your body, it's not a foreign substance or "drug". Some kids just don't produce enough of it, so you're supplementing something that should already be there. If you don't get enough vitamin D, you take a supplement - same thing.

DD's pediatrician said that there was no problem giving the lowest effective dose, even for long term use. 1/2 of a 1mg tablet was enough to get her to sleep for the night, and she'd wake up rested. She took breaks on weekends and holidays, when she didn't need to be on a schedule.

She weaned off of them herself, with no help from me. She just decided one day that she'd try to sleep on her own, and only take them if she had a hard time winding down. It was no problem.

Honestly, I have no idea where people got the idea that melatonin was so evil.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:17 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is your husband a doctor?

Melatonin is something that is naturally produced in your body, it's not a foreign substance or "drug". Some kids just don't produce enough of it, so you're supplementing something that should already be there. If you don't get enough vitamin D, you take a supplement - same thing.

DD's pediatrician said that there was no problem giving the lowest effective dose, even for long term use. 1/2 of a 1mg tablet was enough to get her to sleep for the night, and she'd wake up rested. She took breaks on weekends and holidays, when she didn't need to be on a schedule.

She weaned off of them herself, with no help from me. She just decided one day that she'd try to sleep on her own, and only take them if she had a hard time winding down. It was no problem.

Honestly, I have no idea where people got the idea that melatonin was so evil.

My husband is in the medical field.
My previous pediatrician definitely was anti

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:24 am
Moonlight wrote:
DS age 8 has a really hard time falling asleep at night. He can lay there for 2 hours. He is not going to sleep too early. He asked me to take him to doctor but doctor says it's not medical and he needs to learn to meditate to sleep. I tried to teach him basic relaxation techniques but they weren't helpful
I personally take sleeping pills so idk how to help him.
Ideas?

My brother had the same thing. Someone told my mother about melatonin and it helped a lot! She gave it every night religiously. However, I don't think it's a long term solution and I think it is also sign of depression in kids (at least in his case) that my mother never realized.

pizza4

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:58 am
Melatonin isn't quite so simple. I save it for very important times when my child needs to sleep. I didn't make an official log but I was trying to find if it caused waking up at night and nightmares. Right now I am not giving it. Also haven't needed to since school stopped in March.
I'd first try essential oils if I need it again.
(Also they say the body gets used to it and it doesn't work so well or need higher doses after a while)

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:27 pm
My son would lay quietly in bed for hours and hours and hours. Melatonin was suggested, but my pediatrician was adamantly against it. A weighted blanket was suggested. It makes the body produce melatonin naturally and helps relax the body. It was a game changer.

pizza4

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:20 pm
Oh a weighted blanket, I'm going to look into that, thank you!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:43 pm
When my 5 year old can’t sleep for hours I know there’s stuff on her mind bothering her that she’s ruminating about. Ask him what’s on his mind and try to teach him strategies for dealing with his worries/fears/anxieties

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:43 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
When my 5 year old can’t sleep for hours I know there’s stuff on her mind bothering her that she’s ruminating about. Ask him what’s on his mind and try to teach him strategies for dealing with his worries/fears/anxieties

This isn't the problem here. It's been going on for months. He says nothing is bothering him
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics