Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Wondering what most do about quarantining kids from school
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:11 pm
Im wondering what most others are doing about keeping kids home from school if a family member tests positive. I am struggling in this situation now with kids home on top of all. If everyone is doing their part to keep (otherwise healthy) kids out of school, I feel bad not to do my part. But if their school is anyway full of other kids whose parents are sick, why am I torturing myself and my child? I am not interested in being a martyr at this time. Just to do the basic moral thing but only if my actions count.
Heimish schools, NY area.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im wondering what most others are doing about keeping kids home from school if a family member tests positive. I am struggling in this situation now with kids home on top of all. If everyone is doing their part to keep (otherwise healthy) kids out of school, I feel bad not to do my part. But if their school is anyway full of other kids whose parents are sick, why am I torturing myself and my child? I am not interested in being a martyr at this time. Just to do the basic moral thing but only if my actions count.
Heimish schools, NY area.

Your actions count with Hashem.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:15 pm
Please, please, please keep your children home. We send to heimish schools in Brooklyn, and I don’t my child encountering yours. (Nothing personal.). We did not have it, and we don’t have antibodies. Please follow all health guidelines and keep anyone who’s potentially contagious at home!

Refuah shelaimah to whomever is sick!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:16 pm
I opened this post assuming it was referring to kids quarantining due to positive cases among schoolmates, and therefore wondering about the rest of the family.

Are you seriously considering sending to school when a member of the household has tested positive???

I must live in an alternate universe since I feel like everyone else here has gone mad.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:16 pm
Your actions may also count with your community.

The more virus particles in the classroom, the greater the chances that someone either directly or indirectly will get seriously ill.

It's called "viral load."

Please, difficult as it is, do the right thing, even if you see a lot of people who aren't.

QueensMama

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:19 pm
The fact that you are even considering sending children to school when a family member is positive is mind boggling.

Even if you don’t murder someone’s grandmother you are knowingly taking that chance. And that certainly counts with God.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:21 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I opened this post assuming it was referring to kids quarantining due to positive cases among schoolmates, and therefore wondering about the rest of the family.

Are you seriously considering sending to school when a member of the household has tested positive???

I must live in an alternate universe since I feel like everyone else here has gone mad.

It’s scary how many conscience-less, utterly selfish People are out there who couldn’t care less about possibly killing others just because they don’t want their kids home!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:23 pm
Use DVDs, crafts, sukkos decorations, blank books for them to create. Bath crayons, paint and bubbles. Whatever it takes to keep you and the kids sane. Stay strong and refuah shelaima!

May the zchus of saving other people's lives hold you all in good stead and serve as a protection to all of you for a year full of Mazel and Bracha!

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:32 pm
Please- go easy on this poor amother. You see that this is a systematic issue. There is no clear leadership in many geographic areas on COVID- not from city Rabbonim, not from schools, etc.... people don’t feel that they can trust the judgement of Dept of health or other health officials to give them fact-based information..... people feel that the advice is all politically motivated or whatever....So basically, people are doing whatever they want based on whatever “facts” they read on imaother or yeshiva world news or whatever. I don’t blame the OP for asking this question.

Ideally, your kids school would have sent out some guidelines. But since they didn’t, you need to make a decision on your own. And yes, it’s annoying, but if you think (or know )that someone is sick with COVID, keep everyone home. It’s a very challenging situation, especially when no one else seems to care, but it’s the responsible course of action.

Hatzlacha! You being careful — even when it’s challenging and no one else seems to care— should serve as a zchus for you and your family.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:45 pm
If your child has been exposed to covid through known unmasked contact (not socially distanced) with someone who tested positive, than he has to stay home, in quarantine, unless the contact was fleeting.

Hope your family remember recovers, and no one else becomes ill.

Shana tova.

My4Jewels

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:47 pm
Yeah so our school sent clear guidelines which very clearly state that if anyone is even awaiting a Result of a covid test Nobody can send any kids to school.

Please do your part in protecting everyone

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:49 pm
I understand op completely. my husband also just tested positive over yom tov, I've got a whole bunch of kids home until succos. my playgroups told me whatever my dr says they will go by (as they have antibodies, the consideration would be for group only) and the schools vehemently dont allow for 14 days-my dr says they must be home for 14 days from when symptoms started. Now, as I am entertaining my kids all day (and nt) I am hearing 'oh, I know this and this dr lets you send kids if they have no symptoms' or 'my daughters classmate went back after 7 days no symptoms'... I keep hearing this and wonder the same as you. obviously I wouldn't consider sending my kids to school if my husband tested positiv and my dr and schools are advising against, I don't claim to know better than them, but IS EVERYONE doing what I am doing - I am def hearing that ppl aren't.

solo

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:50 pm
My kids are in mainstream Brooklyn schools. 3 of thier classmates from separate families were quarantined since Rosh hashana after being exposed to someone who later tested positive for covid. Bh no one from those families has tested positive yet. I’m guessing there will be a lot more of such situations after sukkos

QueensMama

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:02 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Please- go easy on this poor amother. You see that this is a systematic issue. There is no clear leadership in many geographic areas on COVID- not from city Rabbonim, not from schools, etc.... people don’t feel that they can trust the judgement of Dept of health or other health officials to give them fact-based information..... people feel that the advice is all politically motivated or whatever....So basically, people are doing whatever they want based on whatever “facts” they read on imaother or yeshiva world news or whatever. I don’t blame the OP for asking this question.

Ideally, your kids school would have sent out some guidelines. But since they didn’t, you need to make a decision on your own. And yes, it’s annoying, but if you think (or know )that someone is sick with COVID, keep everyone home. It’s a very challenging situation, especially when no one else seems to care, but it’s the responsible course of action.

Hatzlacha! You being careful — even when it’s challenging and no one else seems to care— should serve as a zchus for you and your family.

No medical professional or any health official/human in leadership position with functioning brain cells, no matter how lax they are about covid will say its okay to send a child to mingle in school when that child's parent has covid with symptoms. I feel terrible for op. It sounds like she's sick and has all her children home. But knowingly sending them out to infect others? It's beyond the pale.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:20 pm
Hugs op!! My son tested positive almost 2 weeks ago and my whole family has been in quarantine since. It hasn’t been easy, but we feel we are doing the right thing. It is all so confusing! We’re getting such conflicting comments. So many ppl aren’t taking this seriously and it almost feels like what’s the point? But we feel we are doing our part and chas vshalom would never want to give it to someone who will get hit hard. (And I wouldn’t want to be responsible for putting another family through a 14 day quarantine!!!)

Good luck!! I’m focusing on letting go of a lot, more important for kids to be happy than have a clean house... (my cleaning help isn’t coming during this time either)

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:21 pm
Our school's guideline regarding a family member with covid is that if the other kids test negative and have antibodies, they may go to school.
We're all fooling ourselves if we think that all families that have a member that tested positive are quarantined.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Our school's guideline regarding a family member with covid is that if the other kids test negative and have antibodies, they may go to school.
We're all fooling ourselves if we think that all families that have a member that tested positive are quarantined.

Can you please name your school, just in case my kids are also there, so I'll know to pull them out.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Can you please name your school, just in case my kids are also there, so I'll know to pull them out.

If your kids are there you know their policy. Quite afew schools in our community have this policy.
People are contagious before they feel symptoms and test, so by the time they quarantine it's almost too late, everyone could have caught it already.
The kids have been in school already when the sick family member was already contagious, so all siblings classmates could've also caught it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:26 pm
QueensMama wrote:
No medical professional or any health official/human in leadership position with functioning brain cells, no matter how lax they are about covid will say its okay to send a child to mingle in school when that child's parent has covid with symptoms. I feel terrible for op. It sounds like she's sick and has all her children home. But knowingly sending them out to infect others? It's beyond the pale.

A dr in my town with a practice and medical degree is telling schools they can allow it. Some parents are sending and some aren’t.
My school is allowing.
I am in shock!!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:29 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Even the strict schools are becoming lax.
My friend tested positive and came in contact with over 30 boys one on one for 5-10 minutes before she saw she had symptoms. Because it was under 15 min each they are all staying in school. This is a super strict organized school. Do you think there is really such a diff. 10 min or 15 min?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics