Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Letter from the fjj
1  2  Next

saybesser

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:15 am
Usually I tend to keep my opinions to myself, but I think regarding something as clear and dramatic as the following, it would be a huge aveira if I didn't share my thoughts. It is clear to me that the reason for the terrible virus spreading through our communities is solely due to those who ask for the picture along with the resume. Why else would Hashem decree a sickness that requires us to put a mask on, obviously it's so we pick up on this message. Stop asking for pictures, all you misguided and misled individuals, and hopefully this terrible, terrible situation will go away. Y.M.F.

saybesser

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:16 am
I didn't write this I just copied the text ....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:32 am
Sounds like a bored Yeshiva bachur trying to rile people up.

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:40 am
Maybe the reason Hashem sent this plague is because the Frum media refuses to show pictures of women’s faces - so now everyone needs to cover up their faces. . . Coming up with a specific message from Hashem (which applies to everyone) is generally futile, as everyone tends to choose their pet issue and connect it to the current event.

Yes Hashem is sending us a message to change our ways, but we have no nevi’im today, who can come up with broad interpretations. Therefore everyone should be mefashfesh b’maasav and work on improving him/herself. Each of us knows (or can come up with, upon reflection) where we can improve, but to assume that there is one reason - which applies to everyone - and just happens to be whatever you think is the burning issue of the day, strains credulity.

Let us each work on increasing our mitzvos and ma’asim tovim and improving our own connection to Hashem, and may we all be zocheh to a speedy end to this plague and a happy, healthy New Year!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:45 am
saybesser wrote:
Usually I tend to keep my opinions to myself, but I think regarding something as clear and dramatic as the following, it would be a huge aveira if I didn't share my thoughts. It is clear to me that the reason for the terrible virus spreading through our communities is solely due to those who ask for the picture along with the resume. Why else would Hashem decree a sickness that requires us to put a mask on, obviously it's so we pick up on this message. Stop asking for pictures, all you misguided and misled individuals, and hopefully this terrible, terrible situation will go away. Y.M.F.

I thought it was because of the european countries forbidding muslim women to wear masks (niqqab) or forcing muslim men to shake hands...

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 7:56 am
An article in the latest N'shei Chabad Newsletter said that we should not connect the virus to any failing of the frum community but rather we should use it as a way to bring Moshiach.
After awhile, it is almost comical the way that people are attributing a major worldwide pandemic to the actions of a handful of people as if they know why Hashem sent the plague.
I do agree with letters that call these newspapers to task for putting pictures of community events where there are crowded rooms and nobody is wearing masks. Anyone pick up this paper and many others like it for free and then they have positive proof that frum Jews are spreading the virus.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:19 am
Just going back to the original post, I have no skin in the game as I am completely different Haskafa, if there are no pictures, wouldn't that still not be fair. I'm just thinking of the poor miskeit who gets the date, but then the date is horrible because all the other person is thinking is "ewww" or the flip where the person is gorgeous and the date can't get a sentence out because now they are a blubbering idiot. Maybe pictures help prevent pointless dates. On the other hand, why is a girls value reduced to a 2D image of her?
Honestly, kind of glad I done feel that pressure.

To blame a worldwide plague on resume pictures might be absurd. I thought (having read here-not in my life) that it was because of ostentatious weddings.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:24 am
saybesser wrote:

Lolololol Leah Forster literally just made a video like this! I couldn’t stop laughing!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJUYT2Yx/

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:43 am
Mothers wrote:
Maybe the reason Hashem sent this plague is because the Frum media refuses to show pictures of women’s faces - so now everyone needs to cover up their faces. . . Coming up with a specific message from Hashem (which applies to everyone) is generally futile, as everyone tends to choose their pet issue and connect it to the current event.

Yes Hashem is sending us a message to change our ways, but we have no nevi’im today, who can come up with broad interpretations. Therefore everyone should be mefashfesh b’maasav and work on improving him/herself. Each of us knows (or can come up with, upon reflection) where we can improve, but to assume that there is one reason - which applies to everyone - and just happens to be whatever you think is the burning issue of the day, strains credulity.

Let us each work on increasing our mitzvos and ma’asim tovim and improving our own connection to Hashem, and may we all be zocheh to a speedy end to this plague and a happy, healthy New Year!

Right. However since like you say nobody knows what the message is, we can all work on things that don't need fixing. I believe this pandemic happened because the frum schools cracked down on the anti vaxxers and kicked their children out. Now hashem kicked all children out of school. The mssg is to be kinder to the anti vax community. Another person says the mssg is to not hide womens faces in newspapers. Yet another feels the mssg is that there is to much talking in shul. Another believes the mssg is that couples are getting together to much and it isn't tznius. Now nobody can get together.

My point is that if we don't know what the mssg is then it's hard to say there is a mssg. If my sons rebbe took away recess and didn't tell the boys why, we'd all say that's unfair and ridiculous. How is my son supposed to know what to improve on? Yet with hashem we are supposed to act like it's perfectly reasonable. So we have 10 people interpreting 11 mssgs.

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Right. However since like you say nobody knows what the message is, we can all work on things that don't need fixing. I believe this pandemic happened because the frum schools cracked down on the anti vaxxers and kicked their children out. Now hashem kicked all children out of school. The mssg is to be kinder to the anti vax community. Another person says the mssg is to not hide womens faces in newspapers. Yet another feels the mssg is that there is to much talking in shul. Another believes the mssg is that couples are getting together to much and it isn't tznius. Now nobody can get together.

My point is that if we don't know what the mssg is then it's hard to say there is a mssg. If my sons rebbe took away recess and didn't tell the boys why, we'd all say that's unfair and ridiculous. How is my son supposed to know what to improve on? Yet with hashem we are supposed to act like it's perfectly reasonable. So we have 10 people interpreting 11 mssgs.

What makes you think there is one message, which applies to everyone?

STMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:53 am
Mothers wrote:
Maybe the reason Hashem sent this plague is because the Frum media refuses to show pictures of women’s faces - so now everyone needs to cover up their faces.

STMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:54 am
Quote:
Lolololol Leah Forster literally just made a video like this! I couldn’t stop laughing!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJUYT2Yx/

B"H for Tichel Tuesday!!!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:22 am
If you say you don't know, then why are you attributing it to measles vaxxing issues? You contradict yourself.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:25 am
Mothers wrote:
What makes you think there is one message, which applies to everyone?

My point is that since nobody knows what their message is we don't know what to do. Do you know what your message is? Do I know what my message is? Does anyone know what their message is? No. So we all just say there's a message that we don't know what it is, but there is indeed a message and so we should all work on everything. Fine. But in truth that's something we could say at anytime.

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
My point is that since nobody knows what their message is we don't know what to do. Do you know what your message is? Do I know what my message is? Does anyone know what their message is? No. So we all just say there's a message that we don't know what it is, but there is indeed a message and so we should all work on everything. Fine. But in truth that's something we could say at anytime.

I think we all know what areas we can improve in. (I certainly do.) So let’s all work on ourselves. But to assume that there is one thing, which applies to everyone - and is, therefore the one reason for a worldwide pandemic - is not plausible.

At the risk of repeating myself: We live in an age of hester panim, and there is no nevuah in our days. In my experience, everyone tends to jump to the conclusion that the one reason is their pet issue, fill-in-the-blank.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:15 pm
On Tisha b’Av’s Chofetz Chaim broadcast there was a speaker that commented that the masks should be a reminder that we should pay attention to our speech. He didn’t say we wear masks because of improper speech.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:28 pm
Whenever anyone says that X is the reason for Y, my brain automatically shuts off.

Remember when Jerry Falwell said that Hurricane Katrina happened because of abortion and Gay Pride marches? Let's not be like those people, m'kay?

What I do know for a fact, is that Leah Forster is hilarious. The way she kept saying "karanah" for Corona, and scooping her thumb - oh I just lost it! LOL

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:04 pm
What's FJJ?

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
What's FJJ?

Flatbush Jewish Journal
https://www.flatbushjewishjournal.com/

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:57 pm
saybesser wrote:
I didn't write this I just copied the text ....

I actually saw it in the paper and was horrified!!! I wrote a response which I’m sure will be printed this week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics