Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
After 120, do you want your grandchildren to name after you?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Einikel

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:21 pm
I don’t think I’ll care after I’m no longer alive

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:26 pm
I don't want my descendants named after me because I don't like either of my names. My parents wanted an unusual nameand it's something that really makes me sad and I cringe when I see threads asking for unusual names.

Stars

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:30 pm
Why would I care?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:41 pm
I don't relate so much to my Hebrew name as I am called by my English name.
But I want my children, grandchildren and so on to remember me and think about me and talk about me after I am gone (ad 120). I want them to pass around my recipes and go places we enjoy going together now. I want them to say, "remember when bubbe...", and "but bubbe let us..."
I'm tearing up thinking about this. I hope it is not relevant for a long time. Crying

deams

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:43 pm
I have children who are named after people who have had very hard lives and many challenges. I don't think of that part of there lives when I think of there names. I think of how strong they were and how they could still smile and be happy. How they helped so many people and family oriented they were. I want my children to gather the strength of there namesake to overcome the challenges that life may through at them. Just the flipped side of those who are having such a rough time.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 6:07 pm
I would.
Because I'm named after my grandmother who was named after her great-grandmother, possibly further up.
But I'd rather they remember me with love rather than feeling forced to name after me.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Naming threads got me wondering...

Is it meaningful to know that your descendents will name after you?

Do you care if your descendents choose random names they like in lieu of yours?

Do you
Do you even think about it, or is it just me?

Discuss.

Is this for a jewish mag article ?
I find the ' discuss' patronizing.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 6:31 pm
If if causes machlokes, it won’t give me nachas.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 6:45 pm
Einikel wrote:
I don’t think I’ll care after I’m no longer alive

You don't know. Your physical body will no longer be alive but your neshama is eternal. Your neshama might have a benefit from your name being carried by a grandchild or a grandchild's grandchild.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 6:55 pm
If they want to, I'd think it's lovely. I like my name, I hope they do, too, and I find it very special when a name brings up pleasant memories of a cherished relative.

That said, I do not believe in putting an ounce of pressure on parents to give their baby a certain name. My children and grandchildren are free to choose whatever names they see fit, and I certainly don't hope any of them pressure their own descendants to name after me.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:01 pm
No. I want them to choose names that are meaningful to them. I don't want to be a chore or burden on them. If they decide naming after me is meaningful then I'm ok with it. But I don't want anyone to ever feel obligated.

chay

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:01 pm
My community typically names after ancestors.
I would assume that's what would happen after 120.
Naming our children after loved ones brought so much menucha.
I think it is beautiful, and hope future generations feel the same way.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 1:13 am
I don't particularly like either my Hebrew or my English name, even though I wouldn't change them. I feel like my Hebrew name suits me spiritually (why I don't like it is because it's an old lady name in Israel).

I really hope to have many Jewish descendents living in Israel beezrat hashem, but I don't care at all if they name after me or just give whatever Jewish names they like the best.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:04 am
Not particularly, although the sentiment - perpetuating my legacy and acknowledging my contribution - would be appreciated. I think there's more ways to do that than by giving a name, though that's the most common.

chicco

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:21 am
Rappel wrote:
I hope that I become a person whom is worth naming after. I think whether they actually use the name is irrelevant.

Applause This.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:29 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
No I hate my name.
And what I hate more is that my mother hates my name, too, and added a gorgeous name in the hopes of calling me that gorgeous name, but my father didn’t let.

You can still change it.

Ask your husband to call you how you like it.
Change your name on your email, and family chats.
Introduce yourself to new people that way too.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:59 am
I will make it very clear that if anyone wants to name after me, that's great, but don't add my sibling's or my mother's name to it. I remember hearing once that it's not a good mazel for the child to be named after two people who didn't get along with each other. On the other hand, dh grandmother's name is a combination of my name and a name of a person I do not get along with. People will need to make it very clear that this combination name is after that grandmother and in no way shape or form has anything to do with me.
For this reason (putting names together of people who might not have gotten along) when we name a baby we don't mix sides like two grandmothers from each side because you never know if the shviggers got along with each other or not. If you want to combine a few names, you should do research and find out about the people you want to name after.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 3:06 am
No. I have an ugly name and I've already told my kids that they don't have to use it. I hope they will be able to remember me without saddling their children with my name.

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 3:49 am
Rappel wrote:
I hope that I become a person whom is worth naming after. I think whether they actually use the name is irrelevant.

This is what I came to say.

heidi

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
No. I have an ugly name and I've already told my kids that they don't have to use it. I hope they will be able to remember me without saddling their children with my name.

This.
My parents gave me ugly old fashioned Yiddish names and called me an English name that is completely unconnected.
I would hope to be remembered as loving, fun, good cook etc.
I don't think using my actual name is important.
Also, here in Israel the DL community rarely uses grandparents names. If anything it's given as a second name.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics