Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
First grade play dates

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:38 pm
My first grader sometimes plays with neighbors on weekends or after school (but often doesn't want to- he is a bit shy or introverted, I am not sure which), but I don't arrange play dates with school friends because they don't live nearby and is a huge hassle for me, with other little kids and driving across town etc.
is that ok? He seems to have friends in school- his rebbi/teachers tell me he does, he comes home happy, he tells me who his friends are. Twice last year he did have a school friend over - twice over the whole year- and both of those times it was stressful for me.
Please let me know your thoughts.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 11:10 pm
We started play dates around 3rd or 4th grade, and we'd have to choose someone that was a reasonable walk away.
We did then on shabbos afternoon, dad would drop us off on the way to mincha or whatever, or we'd make plans to walk with another friend.
Regular play dates on week days are too stressful. An occasional Sunday playdate is fine if parents are available to drive the kids, but it really depends on family dynamics and location, usually not a need more like a bonus.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 11:13 pm
Not needed at all. Especially not on school days. We only ever have play dates when the other parent wants to bring their child over, and only on weekends and other non school days. My kids play with the neighbors if they need more socializing than school provides them with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children