Home

Which area in israel is like cedarhurst NY
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 1:42 pm
HI
we are considering Aliyah in the coming year bH
Wondering which area in Israel is most like cedarhurst NY, meaning like has a mix of frum jews, close to shopping centers and a bunch of shuls and yeshivos
We are frum,sephardi with kids in darchei torah and BBY (bais yaakov,yeshiva ketana type schools here in NY) my husband will be learning full time in israel bH and ill be working in the medical field

We have no family in Israel thus im completely clueless to say the least..
All I know is that Id like to live in an area that has strong yeshivot with limudei chol/kodesh, frum neighborhood with a bunch of shuls
I dont think were looking at tel aviv bc its too modern, nor are we looking at bnei brak type areas bc we are not charedi in that sense-- my husband wears jeans lol
Thanks for helping out a clueless friend
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 1:48 pm
Following Smile
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 1:54 pm
Rechavia/ shaarei chessed in Jerusalem could work
certain ares of Ramat Bet Shemesh
both will provide you with a soft landing, lots of anglo's so you aren't thrust into a totally foreign environment. And a big mix of all sorts of Jews
Back to top

Sarah15




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Rechavia/ shaarei chessed in Jerusalem could work
certain ares of Ramat Bet Shemesh
both will provide you with a soft landing, lots of anglo's so you aren't thrust into a totally foreign environment. And a big mix of all sorts of Jews



ive heard about rbs aleph or givaat zev-have no info about them though lol
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:13 pm
vonigzan wrote:
ive heard about rbs aleph or givaat zev-have no info about them though lol

I was also told to look into RBS aleph and Sheinfeld, Bet Shemesh. I'm looking for a small house, not apartment. I'm posting anonymously because I've discussed it with so many people. Maybe you should contact Gidaliah Borvick, real estate broker(My Israel Home).
Back to top

amother




Magenta
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:14 pm
Culturally, some parts of Jerusalem, but they are pretty expensive, and obviously urban. That is a big change for kids from the suburbs. I would think Ramat Beit Shemesh is a good bet.
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Rechavia/ shaarei chessed in Jerusalem could work
certain ares of Ramat Bet Shemesh
both will provide you with a soft landing, lots of anglo's so you aren't thrust into a totally foreign environment. And a big mix of all sorts of Jews


These are the only places that might possibly work for the OP, and even then, she might have to make some changes to fit in to the school system.
Back to top

Sarah15




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:19 pm
Success10 wrote:
These are the only places that might possibly work for the OP, and even then, she might have to make some changes to fit in to the school system.


can you please elaborate? changes meaning in theway of dress or what?
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I was also told to look into RBS aleph and Sheinfeld, Bet Shemesh. I'm looking for a small house, not apartment. I'm posting anonymously because I've discussed it with so many people. Maybe you should contact Gidaliah Borvick, real estate broker(My Israel Home).


If you are looking in beit shemesh (either in the Ramah or sheinfeld etc) I highly recommend getting in touch with Ruchama Prager from meor hashemesh realty. She's especially helpful with new olim looking for a place from there
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:29 pm
vonigzan wrote:
can you please elaborate? changes meaning in the way of dress or what?


Yes, mostly dress. She mentioned her husband wears jeans. I know my husband has a friend in RBS who had difficulty getting his kids into one of the open-minded schools in the Yeshivish category, at least partly since he dressed so "sporty".

Also, these schools are considered "olim" schools, where the kids will be speaking a lot of English inside and outside of school and will be slower to integrate into Israeli society.

Also, here there are separate schools for Sefardi and Ashekanzi. I don't know so much about the RBS school system in that regard.

I don't live there and there are several women on this site who do, so they might have more info for you.


Last edited by Success10 on Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Apricot
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:31 pm
If you want BY style schools, RBS A.
Sheinfeld is DL, not BY-type.

There are many good real estate agents for RBS A.
These are 2

Ruchama Prager
https://www.shemesh.co.il/en/e.....tails

Barbara Lemkin
http://aliyahrealty.com/
Back to top

Sarah15




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:37 pm
thanks for your help ladies!
what schools in RBS A are BY style for boys and girls
ALso, have you heard of a place called ramat modiin.. thanks
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:43 pm
vonigzan wrote:
thanks for your help ladies!
what schools in RBS A are BY style for boys and girls
ALso, have you heard of a place called ramat modiin.. thanks

I'm going to rip the bandaid off here even though its gonna hurt. If the dad wears jeans, no BY style school is going to take the kids...even more so if they are sefardi. I wish with all my heart it wasn't the case, but I think its better to face the reality. In america there's so much gray area, my dad wears jeans, my mom covers her hair partially, and we went to top Bais Yaakov's in the US. That is NOT the case here in EY. I'm sorry. If the kids are thriving in good frum schools in the US think really really really hard if you want to uproot them in put them through such a trauma only to put them in schools that might not have been your top pick in the US.
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I'm going to rip the bandaid off here even though its gonna hurt. If the dad wears jeans, no BY style school is going to take the kids...even more so if they are sefardi. I wish with all my heart it wasn't the case, but I think its better to face the reality. In america there's so much gray area, my dad wears jeans, my mom covers her hair partially, and we went to top Bais Yaakov's in the US. That is NOT the case here in EY. I'm sorry. If the kids are thriving in good frum schools in the US think really really really hard if you want to uproot them in put them through such a trauma only to put them in schools that might not have been your top pick in the US.


Thank you for saying it. I didn't have the heart.
Back to top

amother




Apricot
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I'm going to rip the bandaid off here even though its gonna hurt. If the dad wears jeans, no BY style school is going to take the kids...even more so if they are sefardi. I wish with all my heart it wasn't the case, but I think its better to face the reality. In america there's so much gray area, my dad wears jeans, my mom covers her hair partially, and we went to top Bais Yaakov's in the US. That is NOT the case here in EY. I'm sorry. If the kids are thriving in good frum schools in the US think really really really hard if you want to uproot them in put them through such a trauma only to put them in schools that might not have been your top pick in the US.

Ummm...aren't there threads here all the time about how many rules American schools have for the parents? BYs and Yeshivish boys schools make the parents jump through hoops all the time regarding dress.

I live in RBS and agree that the BY schools will probably not accept kids whose fathers wear jeans.
That being said, there are other great frum schools in RBS, such as Ahavat Yisrael (boys and girls divisions). Parents can wear whatever they want - there are dads who wear black hats, kippah sruga, shorts, jeans, suits; moms who cover all their hair, some of their hair, none of their hair.

Netzach may also not have so many rules for parents?
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:53 pm
Success10 wrote:
Yes, mostly dress. She mentioned her husband wears jeans. I know my husband has a friend in RBS who had difficulty getting his kids into one of the open-minded schools in the Yeshivish category, at least partly since he dressed so "sporty".

That's the "open-minded" school? Laugh
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Ummm...aren't there threads here all the time about how many rules schools have for the parents? BYs and Yeshivish boys schools make the parents jump through hoops all the time regarding dress.

I live in RBS and agree that the BY schools will probably not accept kids whose fathers wear jeans.
That being said, there are other great frum schools in RBS, such as Ahavat Yisrael (boys and girls divisions). Parents can wear whatever they want - there are dads who wear black hats, kippah sruga, shorts, jeans, suits; moms who cover all their hair, some of their hair, none of their hair.

Netzach may also not have so many rules for parents?

She specifically mentioned the type of schools she's looking for and I'm explaining that the equivalent to darchei and bby etc here in EY won't take her kids. So she's going to move across the world to put her kids in schools below her personal standard- thats a decision she needs to make with her eyes wide open, thats all.
p.s.- for some reason jeans are a thing here. Meaning a statement about which community you associate with, even jean skirts for the girls mean something. Those who learn full time and wear jeans usually live in Dati Leumi communities like Efrat, Gush etzion etc
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
That's the "open-minded" school? Laugh


Yups. But I think they were cool with him having a smartphone at least.
Back to top

Sarah15




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I'm going to rip the bandaid off here even though its gonna hurt. If the dad wears jeans, no BY style school is going to take the kids...even more so if they are sefardi. I wish with all my heart it wasn't the case, but I think its better to face the reality. In america there's so much gray area, my dad wears jeans, my mom covers her hair partially, and we went to top Bais Yaakov's in the US. That is NOT the case here in EY. I'm sorry. If the kids are thriving in good frum schools in the US think really really really hard if you want to uproot them in put them through such a trauma only to put them in schools that might not have been your top pick in the US.


thanks for your reply-I really appreciate the honesty- we would definitely change that small thing in order to get into BY schools
we are looking for seperate schools, not coed so im sure my husband wouldnt mind changing to get into a strong yeshiva
can you name a few yeshivos in rbs a that are BY, interestede for both my son and daughter ty
bte
Back to top

Sarah15




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 3:06 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
She specifically mentioned the type of schools she's looking for and I'm explaining that the equivalent to darchei and bby etc here in EY won't take her kids. So she's going to move across the world to put her kids in schools below her personal standard- thats a decision she needs to make with her eyes wide open, thats all.
p.s.- for some reason jeans are a thing here. Meaning a statement about which community you associate with, even jean skirts for the girls mean something. Those who learn full time and wear jeans usually live in Dati Leumi communities like Efrat, Gush etzion etc




what type of sheitel is accepted in hte BY communities>
At work I wear a tichel but shabbos /otherwise I wear a sheitel, its over the shoulder, hits right above the breast.. I really appreicate your help
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Malden ( Boston area)
by amother
2 Today at 5:20 pm View last post
Student getting a booster in Israel
by amother
4 Today at 10:22 am View last post
Pans doctor for initial diagnosis in tristate area
by amother
4 Today at 1:11 am View last post
Help needed for a father to see his children in Israel!
by amother
39 Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:45 pm View last post
Pediatric Gastroenterologist in NY area
by amother
5 Tue, Sep 14 2021, 1:33 pm View last post