Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Masks are NOT proven to protect anyone or prevent anything
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:02 pm
Why is everybody talking about it like it's a given fact that masks are a de facto prevention/protection against the virus?
It isn't.

pause

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:03 pm
Because people need something within human control to blame the spread of the virus.

GetReal

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:08 pm
Because studies show they make a difference.

Mothers

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why is everybody talking about it like it's a given fact that masks are a de facto prevention/protection against the virus?
It isn't.

Because there is overwhelming evidence that consistent mask wearing by entire population significantly reduces transmission of the virus by over 80%, and because wearing a mask appears to decrease the “viral load,” so that even if one gets the disease it may be more mild, and because while we are not in control of outcomes, we are responsible to do our hishtadlus - which includes following overwhelmingly accepted medical advice of the day. . .

camp123

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:11 pm
Most scientists think they help.
If the scientists are right we'll save countless lives and if they are wrong people will just be uncomfortable for no reason.
All things considered it probably makes sense to err on the side of caution.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:13 pm
People try. This post is inflammatory and I don'( like masks

simcha2

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It isn't.

There have been numerous studies saying otherwise.

Where do you get your information?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:15 pm
I’m so sick of this conversation. Don’t ask the question before you’ve read at least one research study. One.

I’m so excited to know that if a loved one of yours needs surgery, you’ll march right over to the surgeons and ask them to eschew PPE. After all, THEIR comfort is paramount. Right?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:18 pm
Finally! I’ve been waiting for posts on a thread that make sense to me. Masks aren’t political they are PPE.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I’m so sick of this conversation. Don’t ask the question before you’ve read at least one research study. One.

I’m so excited to know that if a loved one of yours needs surgery, you’ll march right over to the surgeons and ask them to eschew PPE. After all, THEIR comfort is paramount. Right?

Surgical masks are generally worn to prevent spread of bacteria and keep surgical field clean. Virus is a whole other thing. One has nothing to do with the other really. Virus goes right through standard surgical masks in fact.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Surgical masks are generally worn to prevent spread of bacteria and keep surgical field clean. Virus is a whole other thing. One has nothing to do with the other really. Virus goes right through standard surgical masks in fact.

They keep people from spitting and sneezing and coughing into each other, which cuts down on spread.

It's very far from perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Especially if everyone wears it properly and consistently.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:51 pm
Who on here read what the mask manufacturers write on the n-95 masks

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:52 pm
I'm sorry if I came across 'inflammatory'
I'm just tired

imasoftov

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:54 pm
Ruchel wrote:
People try. This post is inflammatory and I don'( like masks

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who on here read what the mask manufacturers write on the n-95 masks

How hard is it to understand what the poster above you said. If we all cover our coughs and sneezes etc with a mask it drastically reduced the spread. Why does it have to be so black and white about what it says on the box. And yes I’d bet most of us did read what it says on the box.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:55 pm
The same people who keep yelling it's a NOVEL virus we know nothing! Are the ones who are sure about masks, quarantine and lockdowns. I think they live in a world that instills a lot of fear and they are holding on for dear life to anything that makes them feel good. Truth is it's probably like any other virus and we don't need to fear it extra or it's completely man made and totally different and holding on to these beliefs is a waste of time.

Oh and spare me with your articles. That doesn't prove anything, they all contradict each other.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It isn't.
why are people talking about it like its a given fact that masks provide zero[b] protection.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
How hard is it to understand what the poster above you said. If we all cover our coughs and sneezes etc with a mask it drastically reduced the spread. Why does it have to be so black and white about what it says on the box. And yes I’d bet most of us did read what it says on the box.

Ok but if we're all doing what we're supposed to be doing then we're staying home with any symptoms. Masks are supposed to be for the asymptomatics I thought. In any case, if someone has no symptoms and never sneezes or coughs, what would be the benefit of wearing a mask?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
why are people talking about it like its a given fact that masks provide zero[b] protection.

Because dozens of studies were done after the previous SARs pandemics and did not find a benefit to the entire population wearing a mask. Hence, no mask policy was ever instituted previously. The research that the CDC based it's original recommendation on did not change.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 3:03 pm
I'm simply baffled why people talk about a mask like it's a no-brainer when in actuality it raises so many more issues than it helps with
and like another poster said - every article contradicts the previous one
there is just no clarity around the topic
and yet the government and others require masks and shame non-maskers in a manner that makes you wonder where they get they're facts from
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics