Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Are you chassidish? Poll
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Are you chassidish?
Grew up chassidish, now not anymore  
 2%  [ 8 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, now chassidish  
 5%  [ 18 ]
Grew up chassidish, still chassidish  
 44%  [ 152 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, still nonchassidish  
 47%  [ 160 ]
Total Votes : 338

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Yiddish is not that hard to understand if you know certain languages...
Is it hard for English-speakers?

I thought it was very similar...
similar to english? No, not at all.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:47 am
watergirl wrote:
IIRC, this site started out for Chabad women and opened up to any other frum women not too long after. As facebook came into the picture, I feel like more women left here for FB. Now, it seems like the vane is changing and social media lite, such as using whatsapp for social media (I still don't get that) and instagram becomes more accepted, other venues are somehow available for chassidish women. At the same time, the more accepted it becomes, the more some pull away from it and only use this site for social media. There are also conversations here that you would NEVER ever see on facebook or instagram or even in a random whatsapp thread because the anonymity of this site lets people let loose.
I came to this dite 2005 and didnt have face book for a while after that. But yes, I personally know more modern women, and many chatedi eomen (after a specific asifa sbout the internet) that have left. But there are still old timers thst are not chassidish, that have stayed Smile

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:49 am
Most Chabad Women know yiddish.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
The poll is are you Chassidish so of course more Chassidish ppl will open this thread vs non Chassidish, which skews the results.

I voted Chassidish. My husband wears a gartel, follows the derech of the Baal Stem tov, doesn't shave, davens nusach sfard. We aren't part of a Chassidish corporation though.

And btw my Lubavitch relatives are very proud to be Chassidish.

There’s another more general poll going on now and still most people are voting Chasidish.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:54 am
Yiddish is not that hard to understand if you know certain languages...
Is it hard for English-speakers?

I thought it was very similar...

Not at all similar.

My father is European so he spoke to us in yiddish when we were little. My grandparents never learned to speak English (my grandmother, she should live to 120, says she has a mental block to the English language, even though for the last almost 20 years she has been living in England with my aunt) so we kids spoke to them in yiddish, and even wrote letters to them in yiddish (though I'd say my writing level is very, very elementary. But when a Lakewood paper ran a yiddish serial for the yiddish-speaking readers, I had no trouble following).

I had a Swiss roommate in seminary, and was able to understand her Swiss German quite well. When I visited my grandparents in Vienna and wanted to sleep in, I had no trouble getting to their shop later on by asking passers-by for directions in basic German.

But English? No shaychus.....

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:58 am
Chabad is a Chassidus, so Chabad people are “chassidish.” But it’s likely they don’t identify with “chasseedish” culture. Is the poll referring to philosophically chassidish or culturally “chasseedish”?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
There’s another more general poll going on now and still most people are voting Chasidish.

I'm not Chassidish. I'm not voting in the other poll cause I dont feel comfortable with the other labels. There's a large area between Yeshivish and how some people identify as JPF. I'm not interested in answering.

I did open and vote here because I was following the other related threads. But I agree that nonChassidish posters are much less likely to open this thread. Basic poll bias that comes up all the time

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:17 am
complete misnagdish here, but could well end up up with a chassidish great-grandchild or ten. My ddil is from a community whose rav is chassidish, so even though her family isn't , exactly, she has a lot of chassidish minhagim. Ds seems fascinated by the concept, and every time we visit ds has picked up yet another chassidish minhag. We would be dismayed but not surprised if one or another of their dc eventually went over to the dark side for real. ddil would encourage it and ds wouldn't object. my grandfather will be spinning in his grave.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Most Chabad Women know yiddish.

Many in Chabad, specifically speak to children in Yiddish, as first primary language, as a principle and many maintain it as the language spoken at home, even when older.

People from Russian/Ukranian/Eastern European descent know & speak in Yiddish.

Many yeshivos translate the learning into different languages, Hebrew, English, & Yiddish, word for word.
Like vyomer Hashem, Hashem umar, Hashem spoke, Hashem hut geredt.....

Many pre-schools specifically seek Yiddish speaking teachers, for non yiddish speaking families so the kids should know Yiddish.

These above scenarios I know was going on couple of years ago in Far Rockaway for example.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I'm not Chassidish. I'm not voting in the other poll cause I dont feel comfortable with the other labels. There's a large area between Yeshivish and how some people identify as JPF. I'm not interested in answering.

I did open and vote here because I was following the other related threads. But I agree that nonChassidish posters are much less likely to open this thread. Basic poll bias that comes up all the time

You’re taking this way too seriously.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:28 am
Chayalle wrote:
I know plenty of people in the younger generation who speak Yiddish who are not Chassidish. I have a close friend, as yeshish/Litvish as they come, who speaks yiddish in the home, and she's not the only one. Lakewood definitely has a yiddish-speaking Litvish population.

many Litvish yeshivos have shiurim given in yiddish. The bocherim , regardless of linguistic background, are thus forced to learn willy-nilly. I wish my dad o"h, whose mammaloshen was Mammaloshen, could hear my dss. He'd have shepped nachas up the wazoo.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:30 am
Chayalle wrote:
I know plenty of people in the younger generation who speak Yiddish who are not Chassidish. I have a close friend, as yeshish/Litvish as they come, who speaks yiddish in the home, and she's not the only one. Lakewood definitely has a yiddish-speaking Litvish population.

This is really not mainstream, however. I, personally have relatives who speak Yiddish at home, but I don't think they're even a large minority. Far from it. Most kids in litvish schools really do not know the yiddish that they are teitching into and it's all memorization. (My litvish yiddish speaking relative actually sent to Satmar).

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Chabad is a Chassidus, so Chabad people are “chassidish.” But it’s likely they don’t identify with “chasseedish” culture. Is the poll referring to philosophically chassidish or culturally “chasseedish”?

That's a really good point. We are philosophically chassidish but not culturally.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
many Litvish yeshivos have shiurim given in yiddish. The bocherim , regardless of linguistic background, are thus forced to learn willy-nilly. I wish my dad o"h, whose mammaloshen was Mammaloshen, could hear my dss. He'd have shepped nachas up the wazoo.

Yes, and it's a real problem. I have one child who refused to go to one of these "Yiddish" yeshivos and went to an English shiur instead. He felt he wouldn't get all the yiddish words and he'd rather understand the shiur...

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:33 am
dankbar wrote:

Like vyomer Hashem, Hashem umar, Hashem spoke, Hashem hut geredt.....

Not to get overly pedantic (oh, ok, let it be pedantic) but wouldn't that be more correctly translated as "Hashem said" and "hot gezokt", not 'geredt'? 'spoke' and 'hot geredt' would be the proper translation for 'vayedaber.'

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:34 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
This is really not mainstream, however. I, personally have relatives who speak Yiddish at home, but I don't think they're even a large minority. Far from it. Most kids in litvish schools really do not know the yiddish that they are teitching into and it's all memorization. (My litvish yiddish speaking relative actually sent to Satmar).

You got it! We were forced to teitch into Yiddish for Chumash all through elementary school. It was torture. Pure memorization. Most kids learned less Chumash because of it.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:34 am
Yes, indeed...

American-chassidish seems to be a culture of its own, with its own worldview, language, and a very indirect way of expressing things sometimes...

It could get an outsider confused... Sometimes they might understand the contrary of what was meant...

When people start talking in our own language it's like inside jokes in a family, and we see people get confused, we move convo over to private chassidish forums as respect to general public, as not to appear rude.

If someone wants advice on a topic that's exclusively a chassidish issue, we move it over, to get our own space/privacy without the judgement.

It's not always American/Chassidish. There are many different chassidus, with different mindsets.
It could be like a Satmar thing. Or a Williamsburg or a Monroe thing, being discussed that's exclusive to these circles., which will be very different from Bobov Bp, viznitz monsey, gur or BY chassidish.

We can't all be lumped together because each one has it's own culture, nuances, lifestyle, but maybe to outsiders all chassidim are same. For ex a Monroe woman wearing a shpitzel, will lead a totally different lifestyle than a woman in bp that wears long shaitel, doesn't shave, drives & sends her kids to Bais Yakov, even if both husbands wear shtreimels.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:35 am
Hard for me to say.

I grew up secular, and I'm a Breslover now.

I'm pretty hippy-dippy in my personality, so I really don't think I would ever fit into any other chassidus. I don't know of any other group that still wears tie-dye. Wink I know that a lot of other chassidish people do not consider Breslov to be a legitimate chassidus, and tease us about our "dead rebbe".

On the other hand, I have a good friend who is Breslov, and she wears the shal year round, except when she's indoors. She covers everything from top to toe, shaves her head, and even wears turtlenecks under her blouses, with a vest on top. WOW, talk about commitment! Still she insists it's not too hot, even on 100+ degree days. I'm in awe of her.

She's also one of the most NORMAL people I've ever met, and she blows away all of your preconceived ideas of what a shal lady is.

Einikel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:38 am
zaq wrote:
Not to get overly pedantic (oh, ok, let it be pedantic) but wouldn't that be more correctly translated as "Hashem said" and "hot gezokt", not 'geredt'? 'spoke' and 'hot geredt' would be the proper translation for 'vayedaber.'

We always teitched amar redden and daber zugen

lilies

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:43 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Hard for me to say.

I grew up secular, and I'm a Breslover now.

I'm pretty hippy-dippy in my personality, so I really don't think I would ever fit into any other chassidus. I don't know of any other group that still wears tie-dye. Wink I know that a lot of other chassidish people do not consider Breslov to be a legitimate chassidus, and tease us about our "dead rebbe".

On the other hand, I have a good friend who is Breslov, and she wears the shal year round, except when she's indoors. She covers everything from top to toe, shaves her head, and even wears turtlenecks under her blouses, with a vest on top. WOW, talk about commitment! Still she insists it's not too hot, even on 100+ degree days. I'm in awe of her.

She's also one of the most NORMAL people I've ever met, and she blows away all of your preconceived ideas of what a shal lady is.

Did she ever explain why she wears a turtleneck, blouse, vest and then a shal? What is the purpose?
Also, did you mean to say that she doesn't believe it's too hot to do so even on 100+ degrees days, or that she simply doesn't feel how?
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics