Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
October Birthday
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 1:48 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I repeated my Oct kid.
He would have been ok going ahead. Probably.
But with the trend of leaving behind, he would be 14 months younger than the oldest kid in his class. And everything is skewing older- expectations from Rebbeim, principals, etc.
A girl I would probably leave as is.
Primary girls still have much more playtime, tables, circle time, and less expectations- they get their siddur at graduation.
Primary boys have a Rebbi, a desk, school on Sunday, graduation with a Chumash.
I have an older child, September, that I left as is because then, no one repeated September's unless there was a real reason.
He's doing ok. Now. But he is one of the youngest, and he struggled socially and with expectations of maturity in 2nd-5th grade. But I couldn't repeat him then. In 6th grade he hit his stride, and now BH is doing great.
Another point to consider is if you have a school (older siblings) what they say.
And if you don't have a school already, then an October and November, even September is more challenging to get in sometimes

Your saying it’s harder to get in because they are from the younger ones?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Your saying it’s harder to get in because they are from the younger ones?

Possibly. Sometimes. Especially in an already difficult situation.
Schools have limited slots- and limited funding.
Given a choice between 2 children, they will choose to take the child that is less likely to use resources- tutors, aids, pull out, etc.
It's not a definite black and white yes or no.
But younger kids are sometimes viewed as more needy for resources.
I don't know this directly from any schools. This is more what I've heard repeated.

dorothy1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 2:00 pm
My daughter is sept 24 and there is only
One kid younger than her in her class. If I had an October baby unless extreme situation (like a genius and very tall), I would hold back.

A

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:02 pm
dorothy1 wrote:
My daughter is sept 24 and there is only
One kid younger than her in her class. If I had an October baby unless extreme situation (like a genius and very tall), I would hold back.

A

Interesting! I don’t remember it being like this growing up!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting! I don’t remember it being like this growing up!

For a time, parents were encouraged to push their kids forward deadline Dec 31, birthday Jan 3. Oh he's almost, he'll be fine.
I think that was more in the 70s in the yeshivish community. Stay at home mom's, large families, schools started at 3/4 and parents were desperate to get their oldest out of the house for a bit.
At least that's my experience.
In the 90s, though, as more knowledge on the importance of social and behavioral came about, parents started slowly holding back. End December, then December, then end November.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:16 pm
My kid just turned two at the end of September. I didn't even think it was an option to keep her back another year.
She's definitely going to nursery next year.
The deadline is December. November kids should be the youngest unless they're delayed in some way and won't be able to keep up.

dorothy1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
My kid just turned two at the end of September. I didn't even think it was an option to keep her back another year.
She's definitely going to nursery next year.
The deadline is December. November kids should be the youngest unless they're delayed in some way and won't be able to keep up.

I don’t think you have an option for September. I didn’t. In my daughters school the hard cutoff is Oct 31. I am sure it also depends where you live .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics