Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
HELP me get kids into habit to pack away after themselves

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:36 pm
My kids are slobs! Can't Believe It Sad
Their stuff are everywhere and they dump things down on the first available surface...
I’m going crazy having them home!

I know I didn’t train them well all these years but I’m seriously getting to the edge of my rope!

Any advice?

SingALong

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 1:15 am
I try to make it easier for them to put things away. For example, a hamper in the room so they don’t need to walk all the way to the laundry room with their clothes. They’d never get there. Small garbage can in their rooms.
Their things all have designated places to be. Jackets and knapsacks on hooks, shoes in shoe rack etc. so it’s easy to see when something isn’t where it belongs, and owner gets reminded to put it away

That said I’m also frequently Putting things away for them. I do end up throwing out their things sometimes, that appear to be junk or no longer needed if it’s untouched for days. They’re little still so not really up to managing their stuff well.

How old are your kids that they’re not putting away their stuff?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 1:19 am
Also repeating yourself a million times, making yourself quotable:
"Welcome home! Put away your bag, and come sit down for a snack."
"Put away your bag, and come have dinner."
"Put away your bag, and then come tell me about what happened today."

After every dinner, I need to ask each child, "Did you finish eating? Did you bentch? Did you clear away your dishes?" If I don't ask, they leave it on the table (like tonight).

Eventually I'm hoping they'll do it themselves!

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 1:23 am
Bring the garbage close to table when they're eating. Sit with them when eating and join in. "Let's clear the table as we get up".
My kids are good about putting their clothes in the hamper (too much stuff actually gets in there lol). But leave their school stuff around and things around the kitchen. It's better when I say let's put things away and do it together with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics