Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What do you do because you saw it growing up?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

cinnabon

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:44 am
I was FaceTiming my friend while making kugel for shabbos. She saw me putting the oil in pan and then heating it in oven before adding it to potato mixture. She asked me why I do that, and told her I have no clue! That’s just how I saw my mother making it and have no idea why she did that. But for years that’s how I’ve been making kugel.

There’s an old joke about a woman who used to slice off ends of meat before putting into pot to cook. Once her mother saw her doing that and asked her why. The daughter answered - “what do you mean? That’s how you always did it!” The mother was laughing and told her she used to cut off some meat because her pot was too small and didn’t fit the full meat!
But her daughter’s pot did and there was no reason why she cut off the ends !

Then it dawned upon me that there must be plenty of things I do without knowing the reason behind it - Just because I saw it growing up!

Anyone else do things by rote without knowing reason behind it? Just because that’s how their mom did it

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:55 am
You can really skip the heating the oil! Laugh
It’s an extra unnecessary step.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:58 am
Keep my oil under sink because my mom did

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:00 am
dankbar wrote:

Where else does it go?

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:00 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
You can really skip the heating the oil! Laugh
It’s an extra unnecessary step.

Actually it makes a lot of sense. since the oil is heated the kugel gets a quick broil and it reduces the chances of browning. also, if you use foil pan (the non disposable) it can be easier to remove.
im not doing it myself but I can see the logic behind it.

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:01 am
dankbar wrote:

Keep potatoes in a bin under sink (not refrigerator like many do)

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:01 am
Argue. With my dh.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:02 am
mocha wrote:
Actually it makes a lot of sense. since the oil is heated the kugel gets a quick broil and it reduces the chances of browning. also, if you use foil pan (the non disposable) it can be easier to remove.
im not doing it myself but I can see the logic behind it.

I also think it’s because it shouldn’t stick to the pan. I use baking paper so no issue there.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:02 am
Haha regarding preheating oil. I've been doing so for around 5 years now. I was sure it makes some difference.

Last week my sisters and I were discussing it. None of them but me seemed to be doing it.. So this week Friday I decided to try without. Believe it or not, it was the same good. My mom tasted it and gave her approval:) and I asked her about it. She said, she always made potato Kugel in a frying pan, so in order not to stick it needed preheated oil. In the oven she's not sure it needs but still does it. Was too funny.

rdmom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:03 am
We have a family Minhag. We cook fish for pesach and then we cook potatoes in the fish sauce. So we essentially eat salmon, gefilte and a slice of potato for the fish course. This has been going on for at least 70 years. And it’s only on pesach.
Until I found out why. My grandmother told me that one year, when she cooked the fish, she mistakenly oversalted it. So then she cooked the potatoes in to absorb the salt. And the family liked it so it became tradition. Now I do it too. Cuz I love it. Or I take some from my mom. And my husband can’t stop laughing. Cuz it is a weird combo.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:04 am
Keep pots in top cabinets.

Anyone else keeps it there? I'm really curious

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:04 am
rdmom wrote:
We have a family Minhag. We cook fish for pesach and then we cook potatoes in the fish sauce. So we essentially eat salmon, gefilte and a slice of potato for the fish course. This has been going on for at least 70 years. And it’s only on pesach.
Until I found out why. My grandmother told me that one year, when she cooked the fish, she mistakenly oversalted it. So then she cooked the potatoes in to absorb the salt. And the family liked it so it became tradition. Now I do it too. Cuz I love it. Or I take some from my mom. And my husband can’t stop laughing. Cuz it is a weird combo.

Rolling Laughter

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:05 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Keep pots in top cabinets.

Anyone else keeps it there? I'm really curious

No, that’s interesting. So what’s on bottom?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:09 am
leave white tablecloth on, until sunday morning

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:10 am
dankbar wrote:

He I do it too! (And so does she)

pizza4

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:11 am
rdmom wrote:

No way! I think I have a lead as to why dh family makes potatoes with the fish!

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:11 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

I believe this is a segula for parnasa!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:12 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
I also think it’s because it shouldn’t stick to the pan. I use baking paper so no issue there.

I use a real (aka non disposable pan) and always hear the oil; I feel it makes the Kugel bottom brown up even crispier and the oil rises over the top when I put the potato mixture in so it alll gets extra crispy. I love skipping steps b it this is not one to skip

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:13 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

I hope my kids don’t copy this as I’ve been lazy recently 🙈

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:13 am
mocha wrote:
Keep potatoes in a bin under sink (not refrigerator like many do)

I keep them in a bin in a cabinet. No space under the sink. Oil is already there.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics