Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is it forbidden to follow the law?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

crust

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:51 pm
Yael wrote:
Op is a liar and a troll and is now banned.

Can't Believe It

liveandlove.ima

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:04 pm
Yael wrote:
Oy vey, I missed the boat. I had so much to share on this topic, my luck! Crying

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:07 pm
Well, that escalated more than usual and more quickly than usual...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:08 pm
My rav says we should work more on being nice to each other and judge less. I like my rav.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:17 pm
Ha! Not so tough now OP huh? Trying to make us turn against each other..for shame!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:39 pm
Yael wrote:

I would never have connected any dots. My apologies, Yael, I'm clearly not spending enough time on Imamother. I'll have to remedy that.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 12:26 am
PinkFridge wrote:
When this comes up, I think it is really, really important that we first steep ourselves in the sugya of respecting people and maintaining our ahavas Yisrael for those we disagree with.
Let's share links of shiurim and articles. I am not hijacking the post, I'm doing hachana to tackle this question.
I'll start with some recent shiurim on TorahAnytime by Rabbi Chaim Eisenstein. Google.

I heard him too, but he absolutely did condemn the shameful acts of not wearing masks and social distancing. But he said you can’t hate those doing wrong but you can hate the actions,

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 12:27 am
Delete

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 12:30 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
No one in Boro Park who I know says or writes "dina de malchuta dina" with Sephardic pronunciation . Even the very few BP Sephardim who I know use Ashkenazi pronunciation in causal conversation.

When you don’t know everyone in BP cuz I have a Sephardic friend lived there and they do talk like that

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:42 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I heard him too, but he absolutely did condemn the shameful acts of not wearing masks and social distancing. But he said you can’t hate those doing wrong but you can hate the actions,

I've been saying this for MONTHS now, and all I hear back is "Why do you hate Chassidim? You are a Nazi! You are sick, stay home!" Banging head

Way to project your issues, and miss the point entirely. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:14 am
So much interesting is happening here when I'm fast asleep Sad

mfb

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:59 am
crust wrote:
Can't Believe It

How in the world did you figure that out right away?????
Please enlighten us so we can do the same in the future.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:31 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:

I know, he was shtark. But the message stands. Somehow we have to compartmentalize, and it should lead to greater emotional health and achdus.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:39 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Mine says “NOT EVERYTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE ESPECIALLY IN THESE CRAZY TIMES.”

In these crazy times doesn’t it make sense to be careful?

Laiya

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:14 am
Yael wrote:

Thank you. May I ask, was she actually a frum woman? TMI

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:06 am
I'm just trying to imagine being literally forbidden to follow the law. How would that work? Would we literally have to jaywalk everywhere and tamper with U.S. mail every time we encounter a mailbox?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:18 am
Sometimes

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:19 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
I'm just trying to imagine being literally forbidden to follow the law. How would that work? Would we literally have to jaywalk everywhere and tamper with U.S. mail every time we encounter a mailbox?
Just to play devil's advocate, what if there was an actual law that forbade brit mila? One would have to go against the law, no? So in order to follow halacha we would have to not follow the law.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:25 am
I read a Times of Israel op ed today on why frum people avoid following these laws and I don't know how to link it but the upshot is that frum people do a lot of what we do because of community pressure, support, expectations, etc and this would probably disappear if everyone isolated in his own house. Our life and world is communal and it doesn't work well in isolation. The average person who is not frum misses his social outlets, sports, etc but his life is less dependant on what his friends and neighbors do and he has no religious component of davening three times a day.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 11:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate, what if there was an actual law that forbade brit mila? One would have to go against the law, no? So in order to follow halacha we would have to not follow the law.

That's a different interpretation of "forbidden to follow the law". One might be forbidden to follow a particular law, but "the law" can refer to all laws.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions