Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
What do u daven every day?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 9:14 pm
and on shabbos? I had people moving in for shabbos and was surprised taht some didnt even open a siddur or tehillim the entire shabbos.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 6:51 am
I daven Shachrit and maarviv everyday including shabbos
tehilim whenever I can, but try at least a bit every day and for sure on shabbos

but I think it is a very personal thing and everyone should daven whenever they feel is right for them.

Davenig should not be an obligation but an opportunity for us to be closer to ashem

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 7:45 am
different rabbanim say different things about women and davening.

Maybe these women do daven, but not when someone is watching them...you can also daven by heart, and it wouldn't show... I didn't know THAT was scrutinized too...

LuckyMum

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 8:22 am
I wish I had the time to Daven more....
Im off to work with no chance for shachris. Not done till after mincha.... I daven on shabbos. embarrassed

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 8:35 am
I haven't davened in a really long long time!
I daven in my own words though, all the time.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 12:05 pm
I daven brachos, shema, ani mamin every day before eating breakfast. then I daven micha, perek shira, and tehillim. I make it a point to find a few minutes every day to daven to our dear aibishter in heaven

happymom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 1:47 pm
I daven boruch sheamar yistabach shema shmone esrei and aleinu every day and on shabbos whatever I can

rikismom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 2:15 pm
I daven the basics of Shacharis, Mincha, some of tehilim and perek shira. It doesn't take long and if I can chat on the phone , I can definitely make time to pray.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 2:33 pm
I daven better when I am up and out, like at 770, beofre a shiur, or on the way to the train, or some such.

greentiger

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 2:42 pm
Sad
I've become so bad about davening. I used to daven shachris and mincha religiously (pun haha) every day. oh and full kriyas shma out of a siddur every night, but I've lowered my standards to just bircos hashachar and a shortened version of shema by heart plus 2 perokim of tehillim I say every day.

Abigail

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 3:07 pm
ye me too, I also used to daven a lot better, then I stopped completely till my dh went to a shiur by our rabbi and he said that all women should daven brochos every morning. (that what our rov said-each to their own,) so thats what I do now every morning be4 breakfast.

Toot

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 12:00 am
Even though a full tefilla bi-zman is not an obligation for women, full Kriyat Shma is. It's one of the exceptions to the mitzvat 'aseh she-ha-zman grama rule, since everyone is obligated in kabalat 'ol malchut shamayim. Even though it's at a set time every day women are still chayavot and should try to say it on time.

HooRYou

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 4:31 am
I don't want to say what I daven since it is really in flux and depends on how much time I have during which zman tefila. I did want to recommend a sefer that will change the way you view tefilah (it has changed mine). It is Shearim B'Tefilah by Rov Shimshon Pincus zt"l. As far as I know it is only in Hebrew but for those who can handle it or canlearn with someone who can it is really worth it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 5:50 am
MorahS wrote:
Even though a full tefilla bi-zman is not an obligation for women, full Kriyat Shma is. It's one of the exceptions to the mitzvat 'aseh she-ha-zman grama rule, since everyone is obligated in kabalat 'ol malchut shamayim. Even though it's at a set time every day women are still chayavot and should try to say it on time.

this is a question for a rav. I didn't learn like this.

Toot

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 2:32 pm
*Correction*

Technically women are exempt from Sh'ma, but still should say it because it is kabalat 'ol malchut shamayim (which of course is incumbent upon all Jews, that's why we add things like `ani ma`amin which reinforce this idea).
It has, throughout history, become minhag for women to say sh'ma as their kabalat 'ol malchut shamayim.

Sorry about the mistake, and thanks Ruchel for making me second guess myself and check the sources.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 2:35 pm
You're very welcome Smile

hannah95

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 11:19 am
I usually do morning brachot, whole shema and schmone essre every morning. My goal is to change from "usually" to "always". I sometimes don't have the strenght to get out of bed early enough and I don't feel good doing tfila in the bus or subway (though my Rav allowed it).

I have the habit of reading tehilim whenever I can. I have them always in my bag, very small book, and read them everywhere (appropriate) really : waiting for an appointment, waiting for the bus. I find that it's the best way to connect to H everyday through little things : when I have free time, I don't dwell over next shabbat menu or shopping, I take out my tehilim.

Smile

freidasima

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:29 pm
I daven shachris and mincha, no maariv unless I happen to be in shul betzibur like megilla leining.
I say it all, from korbonos, through psukei dezimra, yishtabach through until aleinu, shir shel yom, I say my name pasuk, aseres hadibros, the 13 ikarim and I try to say the tehilim of that day...when I don't have time for the whole tehilim of the day I say my perek of my age, that's something that I learned from the Lubavitch minhag which I think is lovely.

But I prefer davening at home than in shul almost at any time. Shul is not conducive to kavannah for me, I end up counting the light bulbs in the women's section as it takes either too long, or I end up skipping as the chazan is going too fast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics