Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Wifi plans and how to set it up w no computer

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 8:16 pm
I have a laptop but I’ll be getting rid of it soon Smile

What are the most affordable wifi plans?

What do I need to get?

Is it possible to get wifi at home without a computer?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 8:39 pm
I’m not sure what your question is.
You can definitely have WiFi without a computer- whoever you use will come to your house, set up a router and modem and you just have to enter the password into whichever device you need to access the web from- phone, computer, etc.
I don’t know about which plans are best though.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 10:22 pm
What are the things needed to set up wifi and if there’s an affordable only internet plan.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 12:34 am
What device are you planning on using with the wifi, if you don't have a computer? If it's for your phone, it's probably cheaper to just get more data on your phone plan. You may be able to use your phone as a hotspot to provide internet access to another device.

If you must have wifi in your house, look for DSL in your area. It's not the fastest internet, but it's usually reasonably affordable.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 9:04 am
Thanks!
I’m currently saving up for a laptop Smile the one I have has windows 7 and that’s not supported anymore Sad I cannot upgrade it.
I have a phone but I already have unlimited data and talk and text
But can’t exceed that. It happened last month and I couldn’t get back on my email for a few days straight. I had to wait for the new cycle to start.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 9:37 am
My iPhone switches to Wifi when I am home.

But I don't understand how you can have unlimited data and yet be cut off when you exceed that. I would call my provider and find out what plans are available.

Getting a wifi with internet would not make economic sense at this point since the cost of the plan would probably far exceed the cost of upgrading your phone so that you had enough data each month

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 11 2020, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Kumphort

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 9:38 am
How can you exceed unlimited?
Why not just add to your cell plan and make it into a hot spot instead of starting a new plan

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 9:45 am
I couldnt add anymore, it says I’m already at unlimited.

I spoke to customer service and they said I exceeded the unlimited data and hotspot (probably bc my husband used my phone to call to Hungary to speak to his mother 2 1/2 hours) and theres no way to add more

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 10:13 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I couldnt add anymore, it says I’m already at unlimited.

I spoke to customer service and they said I exceeded the unlimited data and hotspot (probably bc my husband used my phone to call to Hungary to speak to his mother 2 1/2 hours) and theres no way to add more

That doesn't make sense

The definition of unlimited - there is no amount. You can exceed.

Call back customer service.

Unlimited = no limits.

Perhaps you have unlimited data on your phone and limited Hotspot.
You should still he able to use data on your phone, though

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 10:20 am
If you read the terms of service, unlimited on phone plans doesn't mean completely unlimited as there is generally a clause that caps it for reasonable use and it can't be used for commercial purposes.

For most people the caps for unlimited service on phone plans are moot unless they are streaming loads of data heavy content. However, presumably OP is using quite a bit of data. I would suspect a 2.5 hour International call would send up red flags and trigger some form of throttling.

Wifi plans are generally truly unlimited although even with those there can be throttling if there are red flags from truly excessive use but in general Wifi plans cover large amounts of data.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 12:43 pm
Towards the end of the cycle it slows down a little. But last time it took 2 min for a page to reload and 5-10 min to get new emails if I stayed on the page

We never called Hungary from my phone so I’m assuming that’s it...

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:44 pm
Optimum is about 40 dollars a month before installation/equipment fees/taxes for the cheaper option, 65 for quicker speed. Verizon Fios isn't allowing me to check plan details without an exact address but my base price in NJ is about 65, I am assuming in Brooklyn its similar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics