Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What are some positive aspects of having kids?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:22 pm
I dont have any kids yet and I'm looking forward to having kids, but I hear so much mothers complaining about how difficult it is and how kids can be so kvetchy and keep them up all night and I keep thinking about that. so I guess I just needed some reassurance about the positive aspects of having kids.

immale

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:28 pm
having kids involves long hours of physical work but the pay back is wonderful, you never could imagine the feelings that motherhood is going to awaken and the experience is one of non stop learning, even if you dont always get it right , you dont get fired.

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:29 pm
Even with my baby keeping me up most of the night, still, at 17 months old, I don't stop kissing her all day. Sorry, but that is just the nature of mothers. We have to complain, but wouldn't trade the sleepless nights for anything in the world. So just go ahead, and enjoy life at every stage, and always hope for the best. Hatzlacha.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:29 pm
they love you, they're innocent, they're funny, they cuddle, they learn to call you mama, they make you proud, and you don't always really mind waking up with them at night. and they're so darn cute in blanket sleepers...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:57 pm
You get to play with thier toys. Their clothes are amazinginly fun to buy.

As they go thorough school, you get notes home and stay in the loop of the community ..... you have other mothers for social interaction.

mimivan

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 2:06 pm
CM

Quote:
You get to play with thier toys.

LOL...reminds me of yesterday when we told ds not to take his nice new car to gan but to leave it at home and he said "You have a whole room of toys to play with! Why do you need my car!" Rolling Laughter

That's why I love kids...they make such adorable observations and they really force us to think outside of the confines of our adult minds. They teach us to give and to grow and even at the worst of times, they help us perfect every midda...even when things are hard (or especially) they help us locate that one corner of our personality we wanted to keep in the dark, that thing we need to work on that we wouldn't have been able to find ourselves (like bedikat chametz)...

Of course, at the best of times they make me laugh (and I love it when they laugh together)...simple things, like when my 18 month old put a washcloth over his head and started shuckling and mumbling like he was putting on a tallis...the older ds and I were almost rolling on the floor.

I'm glad I don't have a TV...don't need one..the kids make their own fun.
And the nachas...yes that is great too.
B'h for them!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 2:14 pm
you have a built in comedian in the house... my 2 1/2 year old cracks us up all the time Smile.

MommyEsty

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 2:30 pm
im almost crying just thinkin about the answer!

LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE!!!
omg the first time (and every time ) they say mameeee.. nothing nothing can replace.
a hug from a little tiny man , a kiss
a huge smile when he see's me
a first smile.
when he kushes the mezuza or puts a penny in the pushka or pretends to make kiddush..
when he falls and wants only you.

I cant even begin to discribe the feelings.

total and utter joy , love and thankfulnes

and I have only had 21 months and 2 kids of it!!

zigi

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 3:00 pm
I get to play with a robot and a remote control car!
the first smile. mama. you get so proud when they master things. going to the bathroom, standing, knowing letters of alef bais or abc. they are funny. I like when they can't say things properly.

bigdeal

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 3:07 pm
watching a tiny person who has a piece of you forever- wow !
and then when they do certain things- youthink- wow... that is so my personality!!!

imokay

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 4:17 pm
creating a legacy.
having the ability to impart your values, family history, ideals, etc and create a part of the future.
by having children, in effect u and your past become immortalized as long as the mesorah is passed on from chain to chain.
it is a part of you that will live on even after one is no longer here.

whenever I think about this, the awesome responsibilty I have as a mother infuses me with a sense of profound importance and awe.

and also what everyone else said.

(of course, we also have kids so that we'll have someone to take care of us when we're old Very Happy )

Mommish

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:47 pm
It is amazing to watch them grow. They are so obviously straight from Hashem, who designed them so perfectly. They have perfect, soft skin and hair. They are painfully cute. They make a couple into a family. They give you perspective on life & your true goals, help you to understand what life is all about. They challenge you to work on yourself and grow.

grin

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 12:34 am
well, the fun side is the cuteness and cuddliness and the chochmos that come with the territory. As they get older, there can be many intriguing discussions and exposure to other points of view (as each child is "olam malle").

there is the knowledge that it's one of the best ways for an individual to change the world! and it beats TV hands down for entertainment and diversions.

But if being married is a growth process, kids is 100 times as much. and if "hazult hu har'I", as the Ba'al Shem Tov taught (that seeing other's faults shows up our own - otherwise it wouldn't bother us!), then seeing yourself mimicked and tape recorded to the T (24/7) is the best way to fix them!

louche

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 6:51 am
Isn't it obvious? GRANDCHILDREN!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 6:57 am
When you fart, you can blame it on them.

When you're out for Shabbos lunch, if you want to leave, you can just say the kids are tired and need a nap.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 8:27 pm
louche wrote:

Here's something I heard firsthand (in a private setting) from a Rav who is a VERY well-known posek and is highly respected by ALL communities in America:

"A priest, a minister, and a rabbi were discussing when life begins. The minister said it begins at conception, the priest said life begins at birth and the rabbi said, Life begins when you become a grandparent!"

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 6:57 pm
u give and give and u give and then u get back a warm wet hug and kiss and that completes it all

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 3:25 pm
it's all the little things. It's the smile the hugs, the cute sayings, the firsts the lasts, the ongoings. It's the fear and trepidation. It's the never getting a full night's sleep b/c you are watching them in their utter bliss and peace. it's sharing parts of yourself. it's seeing parts of yourself. and the complaining is also part of it, b/c if I didn't have the kids I wouldn't know from the complaining!

A Rav once said in a shiur, children are a parent's way of continually working on themselves to attain their 'raison d'etre'. We cannot stay stagnant as parents and our children ensuer we do not. I think it was a beautiful way of reminding us of Hashem's beauty and power in every way.

grin

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 5:54 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
it's all the little things. It's the smile the hugs, the cute sayings, the firsts the lasts, the ongoings. It's the fear and trepidation. It's the never getting a full night's sleep b/c you are watching them in their utter bliss and peace. it's sharing parts of yourself. it's seeing parts of yourself. and the complaining is also part of it, b/c if I didn't have the kids I wouldn't know from the complaining!

A Rav once said in a shiur, children are a parent's way of continually working on themselves to attain their 'raison d'etre'. We cannot stay stagnant as parents and our children ensure we do not. I think it was a beautiful way of reminding us of Hashem's beauty and power in every way.

this is beautiful!

su7kids

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 8:52 pm
louche wrote:

I was thinking of this one. This is very powerful.

There is a saying "If I knew how much fun grandchildren are, I would have had them first" and having just come from 10 days with my one and only (so far) interest on my investment, I can say, sleepless nights are a pleasure now. Up early and can't keep your eyes open ... a pleasure . Poopie diapers, THE BEST!!!

And then she snuggles into your neck and you never have to ask that question every again!!!!!!!!!

I only wish I could raise my kids now with the knowledge I have now, except that I am so grateful that they are raised and are more than OK. I'm proud of them. They are part of me, and yet incredibly independent and capable people who are starting their own lives.

To all my kids: those who read this and those who don't: I love you and am so glad you're part of my family.

Explanation of what is great about having kids???? I have no clue, but its worth it!

To those who are wanting them really badly, may Hashem bless you with a beautiful healthy child so you can enjoy the pleasures, yourself. (and if G-d forbid its not in the cards for you, then please, love yourselves anyway, and be someone else's kids' friend!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics