Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O do we need to post in English?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:54 pm
Can people who speak Spanish or French post in that language?
Can the Living in Israel Forum post in Hebrew?
Can the Chassidish Forum post in Yiddish?
Is there a rule for this?

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:09 pm
It is considered rude to speak a languagea language that not everyone understands.

same way that when you're with a group of people and you speak in another language when not everyone understands.

If you really want to talk so much in your own language perhaps you can request a language-specific board.

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:30 pm
singleagain wrote:
It is considered rude to speak a languagea language that not everyone understands.

same way that when you're with a group of people and you speak in another language when not everyone understands.

If you really want to talk so much in your own language perhaps you can request a language-specific board.

Well said!

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:58 pm
If you really want to converse in a different language just for the fun of it maybe do it only in one thread with the title “the Spanish thread” for example.
Otherwise it will get awkward if we have various languages on every thread.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:03 pm
It's an english speaking site so posting in another language would exclude too many.

That being said I think it's rude for people to jump on grammar and language errors making non english speakers feel stupid. I really can't stand when people point out or mock grammar and I think it's hurtful when there are threads stating we can tell people are xyz because of their grammar mistakes.

I am a native english speaker, I don't speak any other language. I also use imamother in my downtime and I don't spend too much time focusing on my sentence structure.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:30 pm
People could post in Hebrew on the Israel forums but most of us type, write, and speak better in english.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:18 pm
The only time I think it's appropriate to use another language is when quoting Hebrew or Aramaic sources as part of a halachic or hashkafic discussion. In that case, let's use the original.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:29 pm
Under the tab "New User Guide" on this site:

Our members are all English speaking, but English is not necessarily everyone's first language. Please post in English and translate Hebrew and Yiddish terms if asked to do so. It is considered rude to comment about another woman's grammar or spelling mistakes.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
The only time I think it's appropriate to use another language is when quoting Hebrew or Aramaic sources as part of a halachic or hashkafic discussion. In that case, let's use the original.

I can't. I don't have Hebrew keyboard and can only transliterate.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

I don’t think anyone minds. As long as you translate if people ask you to.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:33 pm
it's annoying when people post in yiddish without explaining on the main board. There was one thread on the main board that I was wondering if I was one of the only non chassidish posters there! I can see there being a difference in private forum but don't know.

edited to add, the posters were writing almost completely in English in that particular thread. I just think that there is a heavy chassidish presence here and that their "dialect" includes sprinkling yiddish words with their english. It was just an amusing thing I noticed on that thread.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

Totally fine!!!

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:34 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
Under the tab "New User Guide" on this site:

Our members are all English speaking, but English is not necessarily everyone's first language. Please post in English and translate Hebrew and Yiddish terms if asked to do so. It is considered rude to comment about another woman's grammar or spelling mistakes.

Oh! Confused
I must’ve missed it. I usually skip reading guides.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:59 pm
This is what it would look like op

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....30049

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
it's annoying when people post in yiddish without explaining on the main board. There was one thread on the main board that I was wondering if I was one of the only non chassidish posters there! I can see there being a difference in private forum but don't know.

Which thread? Would be curious to see.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ohsay ouldway Iay.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Ohsay ouldway Iay.

Is that the thread title or what?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:07 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Is that the thread title or what?

She would so would I in p1g latin

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She would so would I in p1g latin

And I’m searching thread titles with those words and coming up with no results. LOL Can't Believe It

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

it was only a small part of the thread and people weren't writing full sentences in yiddish, it was written in english, it was like a word thrown in here and there that people do without thinking. I wasn't upset ( I was about to say I had no tainahs lol, but that would be the same idea Wink ) it was just funny when I looked at the posters engaging, I was like oh right they are all chassidish lol!

I believe there have been times when people have written whole phrases or what have you in yiddish but not that thread.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics