Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Bread & Oil Cocktail aka Sufganiyot Cocktail

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:11 am
I am not much of a drinker except for the girlie martinis like Cosmos and Lichee Martinis LOL but I thought this might be a fun addition for the adults at a Chanukah party - or at least an ice breaker.

I haven't made it so can't warrant it's taste but I guess if you have more than one, they will start tasting delicious anyway. Very Happy Very Happy Directions include making up a large batch for a party so that they just have to be poured and the ale and garnishes added.

Chaim Dauermann, bar manager of The Up & Up in New York, created a flavorful Hanukkah cocktail, which is so good you’ll want to drink it all eight nights.

Dauermann, who admits he’s recently been “preoccupied with making cocktails that taste like baked goods,” didn’t have to look far for inspiration. His cocktail, the Bread & Oil, channels sufganiyot—a small, jelly-filled doughnut that’s become a Hanukkah staple all around the world. During the holiday, Jews traditionally eat foods, like donuts or latkes, that include or have been fried in oil to commemorate the retaking of the Temple from the Greeks when a small jug of lamp oil miraculously lasted eight days instead of just one.

To evoke the beloved yeasty, fruity flavor of sufganiyot, Dauermann mixed together an arsenal of unlikely ingredients. He combined brown ale and single malt Scotch to capture the taste of the puffy dough, while crème de cassis, sugar, and lemon juice mimic a jellied black currant filling.

The result is a refreshing cocktail as stuffed with fruity flavor as any donut you’ll find on the holiday table, with “enough heft to satisfy a seasonal craving for comfort,” says Dauermann.

The Bread & Oil is also appealing because it’s absurdly simple to fix. Based on the concept of a traditional whiskey highball, the recipe can be easily made in a glass and requires minimal prep work or special bartending tools.

Expecting a crowd for a menorah lighting? Batch the Bread & Oil ahead of time by mixing the Scotch, cassis, simple syrup and lemon juice. Then, just top off each glass with brown ale before serving. It’s so quick, you can even get a round ready between your turns in a game of dreidel.

Hanukkah is all about spending time with friends and family, so serve the Bread & Oil and avoid getting stuck behind the bar all night. L’Chaim!

Bread & Oil

Created by Chaim Dauermann

INGREDIENTS

1 oz Glenmorangie Original Single Malt Scotch
.75 oz Crème de cassis
.5 oz Simple syrup (1 part sugar, 1 part water)
.25 oz fresh Lemon juice
Brown ale (approx. 3 oz)
Garnish: Slice of lemon or other fruit
Glass: Highball

DIRECTIONS

Add all ingredients except the brown ale to a highball glass filled with ice. Stir and top with the ale. Garnish with a slice of lemon and/or other fruit, if desired
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics