Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Shaping burgers

smile

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:35 pm
I want to make beef burgers. But somehow the shape never stays. No matter if baked or fried, they tend to shrink and become more balls shape instead.
What should I do or not do, so they stay as burger shape?

Cookin4days

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:38 pm
I’ve heard of people making an indentation in the center of the patty so that when it comes it doesn’t puff and shrink, maybe try that?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:42 pm
Divide 1 lb seasoned ground beef into 4 balls. Use the top of a deli container to press a ball of ground beef into to get the perfect shape. Gently press out and bake them on a cookie sheet.
If you're frying or grilling them, make an indentation in the middle first.

smile

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:57 pm
Does it make a difference that I put eggs and matzo meal in the mixture, so it gives me more?
Also how long and how high to bake it and fry it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:03 pm
smile wrote:
Does it make a difference that I put eggs and matzo meal in the mixture, so it gives me more?

Patties are different. I use all beef for burgers. Bake burgers at 400 for 20 minutes.

naomi2

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:50 pm
I have a great hack for that
Take two round plastic takeout container covers and squash meat between them with both tops of the covers touching the meat, and you have a perfect patty shape.

raich

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:58 pm
I think the trick is to make them flatter and larger in diameter than you want them to end up, since they bunch up and get thicker as the meat cooks.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:57 am
Burger shape tool
I have something like that, but rarely use it. I heard if you freeze them into the shape first, and cook it frozen, it stays better. I’ve never done it because I usually end up doing it last minute.

gyf45

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:41 am
smile wrote:

If u put in egg and matzo meal it wld be considered meatloaf and not burgers if u want more the taste of burgers- plain beef only with seasoning on top and bottom of patty. If they shrink so much maybe youre using regular ground beef? They shrink more than lean ground beef bec of the fat. And in general shape the patties wider than your desired size so they shrink to ur preferred size. Indentation is a must for grilling or pan frying.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:54 am
It's only meatloaf if it's a loaf.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics