Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me organize my toy closet please!
Previous  1  2

mfb

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:22 pm
https://I.imgur.com/eApg8ms.jpg
Here’s a picture of my game shelf if I figured out how to post it

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:23 pm
[img]C:\fakepath\69E70360-D1F2-4AB3-A71F-3EEE6DB8631A.png[/img]

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:33 pm
Dh really does the organizing since I am horrible at it. Lol
I have my toy closet custom done with cubbies (dh did it on his own) he uses clear bins and I make the labels. You have to see what size fits your closet and toys. For example I have a TON of magna tiles like (if I didnt lose any) 700 pieces. I have a massive bin for them. I keep my art supplies in another room. One organizer (ikea) has drawers with markers, crayons, color pencils, other supplies and color pencils etc.
I have another organizer for arts and crafts and beads.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:36 pm
Just saw raizyscookin has great ideas

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:55 pm
thank you! yes bh it is unbelievable how much peace of mind this is giving me. not sure where you are located but I think she travels also, I used chaya malky scharf in lakewood her number is 19177312363.

and about the containers for games- yes its the best way to keep games neat not sure where she got it I think the container store. I think she does consults also and can help you with sending link to items and ideas if you dont wanna pay. good luck

sweet

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:31 am
trixx wrote:
But this isn't for storage, it's for the toys that are out on display.

I have 3 of these in my basement .
And 2 single ones with 4 shelves.
1big and 2 smaller ones for toys- 1 for books and 1 for games.

I put the playstix/traintracks/pegs/magformers.....
Into a fabric bin or plastic containers fit on to the shelves.

Truth is I need these since there aren't any closets in my bsmnt.

I can open up a toy store

cbg

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:18 am
I think the secret is labeling the bins and the shelf, with pictures if they are young
Like they do in pre-school
This way the kids can be responsible of cleanup and you can supervise
Once you set up the system
It will keep
You just have to be motivated to do it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:30 am
Thx everyone for your suggestions so far. Would love to hear some more ideas, suggestions and pics before jump headfirst into my closet. 🙈

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:44 am
I don't have a way to post a picture online but you can PM me for picture via email or text.

baltomom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:30 pm
Lots of great ideas here for toy organization! I happen to have a separate small closet for games, and I was at my wit's end a few years ago about keeping it organized. I found a system online which has worked really nicely for 5+ years:
-Buy Sterilite countertop 3 drawer units. They come in different sizes; I believe I got some small and some medium--check the measurements so you see how many you can fit on your shelves (and how well they can fit your games). For example, I can fit 3 medium units or 4 small units on one shelf in my game closet. (Unfortunately it looks like these are not available online individually now; they come in sets of 6 or more in Target or Amazon... If you can't get the number you need, maybe share with a friend who also wants to organize her game closet)
-Take all games out of original boxes and store pieces for each game in a plastic drawer (small or medium, depending on the size of the game pieces). Traditional game boards do not fit in these drawers, so they have to be stored separately either at the side of the shelf or on top of the shelving units.
-Label each plastic drawer, which can be removed from the unit to play with the toy and then returned when kids are done
-Put each card game in an index card holder (they cost about $1-2)--must be labeled because they are not clear
-Put puzzle pieces in ziploc bag along with cutout picture of the complete puzzle--or, even better, put puzzle pieces in clear zippered bags that come with linens etc (I save them whenever I get them and use for puzzles when I need)
-If you have game instructions, put them in plastic page protectors in a binder stored in the game closet

Basically, something like this: www.raisinglemons.com/mother/t.....tion/

Good luck!

abmom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

hi! above I posted 2 images , I actually hired an organizer for it. I tried a few organizer but I think her method makes most sense. basically she makes sure that there is no empty room between containers everything fits like a puzzle. this way the shelves are maximized and you dont have the option of dumping thins random. also, every single item goes into a bin. she was very creative in getting the right size bins for every individual toy or supplies. best is to get clear bins! because with clips they might discotinue and you stay stuck if you want to add! I had the blue clips before and didnt want to dump them, but stores were out of these now... so the new containers are all clear. good luck!

Can I come play???? Your closet is so much fun!!!

abmom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 5:57 pm
baltomom wrote:
Lots of great ideas here for toy organization! I happen to have a separate small closet for games, and I was at my wit's end a few years ago about keeping it organized. I found a system online which has worked really nicely for 5+ years:
-Buy Sterilite countertop 3 drawer units. They come in different sizes; I believe I got some small and some medium--check the measurements so you see how many you can fit on your shelves (and how well they can fit your games). For example, I can fit 3 medium units or 4 small units on one shelf in my game closet. (Unfortunately it looks like these are not available online individually now; they come in sets of 6 or more in Target or Amazon... If you can't get the number you need, maybe share with a friend who also wants to organize her game closet)
-Take all games out of original boxes and store pieces for each game in a plastic drawer (small or medium, depending on the size of the game pieces). Traditional game boards do not fit in these drawers, so they have to be stored separately either at the side of the shelf or on top of the shelving units.
-Label each plastic drawer, which can be removed from the unit to play with the toy and then returned when kids are done
-Put each card game in an index card holder (they cost about $1-2)--must be labeled because they are not clear
-Put puzzle pieces in ziploc bag along with cutout picture of the complete puzzle--or, even better, put puzzle pieces in clear zippered bags that come with linens etc (I save them whenever I get them and use for puzzles when I need)
-If you have game instructions, put them in plastic page protectors in a binder stored in the game closet

Good luck!

I recently did similar with card games. I put each card game in a pencil case, and put a tag with a picture of the card game on the zipper pull. I paid about 50 cents or less per case.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 6:33 pm
I like Kallax (ikea)
And the other ikea toy storage set (trofast)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:19 pm
Anyone else? Would love more ideas and pics. Thx so much all!

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:02 pm
I am also looking to organize my toy closet.

My thoughts are that some of these closets are so overwhelming. So many toys and options etc at once.
I wonder if there is an efficient system for storage and rotating some out in a different system?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:08 pm
FYI if you do not like clear containers (like me) white containers are usually cheaper and you can tape a picture of the toy to the outside of the container.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:43 am

Still a work in progress. Havent decided on the lowest level. I have a heating vent down there by one so I have to do a half size on one.
And I need to label them still.

Will probably do half size and in the 2 middle and full ones on the side.

I also still need to place all the big cars and trucks.

Paint sand playdoh stickers beads scissors/glue and arts n crafts are all upstairs because I want to supervise when it's being used. My kids aren't so big yet. Games are in a huge ottaman upstairs too.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:02 am
baltomom wrote:

Good luck!

This looks extremely disorganized to me and very not child friendly.

climbing613

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:45 am
lamplighter wrote:
I am also looking to organize my toy closet.

My thoughts are that some of these closets are so overwhelming. So many toys and options etc at once.
I wonder if there is an efficient system for storage and rotating some out in a different system?

For toys-Shelves with some that are high up and using colored bins instead of clear. That way the ones lower down are more accessible looking since you can see them, but you can't see what's inside the ones higher up. You can label with a small picture for the same reason.
Then a separate closet or shelves or area for games and puzzles so they're in their own space. Less overwhelming and potentially more conducive to staying organized.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:14 am
I have a toy closet with plastic bins that I store all my toys in. I rotate some at a time out onto cube shelves and set my play area up preschool style with displayed toys or toys in baskets. Very accessible, easy to clean up, not overwhelming for kids.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics