Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
PSA repeat
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:50 am
I copied and posted and older thread because it seems like some need this reminder:

When a post comes up stating frustration at the insensible Covid laws, lockdowns, masks, vaccine mandates, unfair policies, etc, it DOES NOT MEAN that the poster is taking Covid deaths lightly.

It does not make a poster a cold blooded person who has no empathy.

I’m very vocal here about the government’s hypocrisy during Covid, and about all the contradictory statements, “facts”, studies etc.

Twice, on separate threads, I was attacked in a very passive aggressive manner saying that if my parent would die from Covid,/ if I’d have loved ones struggling for breath, then I’d be more empathetic.

So this is a friendly reminder, that posters here are anonymous, you have no idea who is posting. You have no idea what I went through with my loved ones in the past year.
You have no idea how many loved ones were sick, struggled for breath, or didn’t make it out alive.

It does not change my opinions on the matter. And I share these same opinions with many others who had lost loved ones or were very sick themselves.

So stop attacking posters like myself with such rude comments because:

A. they are extremely hurtful to anyone, especially posters in pain, and if it was you who wrote that, then I’d love to get an apology.

B. It simply isn’t true.
For most people, the struggles they had during Covid has nothing to do with their beliefs on the matter. I’ve spoken to countless people.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:47 pm
There have been people who were dying of coronavirus and saying that they had thought it was a hoax so you are right that belief and reality don't coincide.
I agree with you that someone can be at death's door and still believe that it's a Democrat attempt to undermine Trump, a Chinese attempt to take over the world, or a big pharma attempt to make loads of money.
I think that many of us have a problem with those who say that the virus isn't fatal, hospitals kill for profit, or HCQ could save the world but politicians are getting kickbacks from big pharma and HCQ isn't profitable, or that masks are an attempt to steal our identity, or that the elderly are forcing these restrictions on the public (a poster actually said that). People are entitled to believe this stuff but if they post it, they will get an argument.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I copied and posted and older thread because it seems like some need this reminder:

When a post comes up stating frustration at the insensible Covid laws, lockdowns, masks, vaccine mandates, unfair policies, etc, it DOES NOT MEAN that the poster is taking Covid deaths lightly.

It does not make a poster a cold blooded person who has no empathy.

I’m very vocal here about the government’s hypocrisy during Covid, and about all the contradictory statements, “facts”, studies etc.

Twice, on separate threads, I was attacked in a very passive aggressive manner saying that if my parent would die from Covid,/ if I’d have loved ones struggling for breath, then I’d be more empathetic.

So this is a friendly reminder, that posters here are anonymous, you have no idea who is posting. You have no idea what I went through with my loved ones in the past year.
You have no idea how many loved ones were sick, struggled for breath, or didn’t make it out alive.

It does not change my opinions on the matter. And I share these same opinions with many others who had lost loved ones or were very sick themselves.

So stop attacking posters like myself with such rude comments because:

A. they are extremely hurtful to anyone, especially posters in pain, and if it was you who wrote that, then I’d love to get an apology.

B. It simply isn’t true.
For most people, the struggles they had during Covid has nothing to do with their beliefs on the matter. I’ve spoken to countless people.

Seems to me every time the word 'hypocrisy' is thrown around, the underlying sentiment is 'if THEY do this, then clearly this whole thing a hoax'.

Probably I feel this way because I don't see the hypocrisy, because I don't think 'government' holds itself out as some highly moral entity - nor do I think they should.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:23 pm
I don't understand why people feel the need to point out hypocrisy. I don't care how politicians approach science and medicine, and I don't follow their medical advice. So if the consensus among the medical professionals is x, there are laws enforcing x, and politicians personally ignore x, I will still follow medical advice and do x.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:24 pm
OP, you are not supposed to post as amother, unless it will violate someone else's privacy.

I'd take you a lot more seriously (maybe) if you'd use your screen name when discussing politics.

If you are so sure that you are in the right, name it and claim it. Don't hide! Hiding

Quoting directly from the board rules:

Quote:
The posts that are posted by amother are not all written by the same person. Amother is an anonymous mask that you can use to post private things. Each person who posts as amother in a thread is assigned a color that is their own for that thread only. This allows you to keep track of who said what in a thread with multiple amothers posting. When posting as amother in a different thread each person gets a new color assigned to them. Amother should not be used to attack another poster. Please do not use amother to post things which are not private or personal.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I don't understand why people feel the need to point out hypocrisy. I don't care how politicians approach science and medicine, and I don't follow their medical advice. So if the consensus among the medical professionals is x, there are laws enforcing x, and politicians personally ignore x, I will still follow medical advice and do x.

I think some people treat it as a sport.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I think some people treat it as a sport.

I think some people treat is as an excuse.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I think some people treat is as an excuse.

Agree.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:05 pm
Here's the thing.
Back in May/June in NJ, we were down to a state total of 30/40 cases a day.
But our governor was dragging his feet about opening things up.
So nonessential stores were closed.
Now if I would sign up for a private appointment at my shoe store, lingerie store, toy store.
Just me and the store owner. Both of us fully masked, fully SD, frequent purelling.
But I would be doing something illegal (I can be fined, the store owner can be fined).
Yet I'm not careless or thoughtless or thinking Covid is gone.
And pointing out that I'm taking more precautions than is required in Walmart yet this store is opened illegally and Walmart legally. That's pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians.

That's my frustration.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:10 pm
keym wrote:
Here's the thing.
Now if I would sign up for a private appointment at my shoe store, lingerie store, toy store.
Just me and the store owner. Both of us fully masked, fully SD, frequent purelling.
But I would be doing something illegal (I can be fined, the store owner can be fined).
And pointing out that I'm taking more precautions than is required in Walmart yet this store is opened illegally and Walmart legally. That's pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians.

That's my frustration.

Except that's not hypocrisy - its inconsistency.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:14 pm
Except that's not hypocrisy - its inconsistency.

You're right.
Hypocrisy is seeing pictures of the Governor at a shoe store, or restaurant, or barber.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:18 pm
keym wrote:
You're right.
Hypocrisy is seeing pictures of the Governor at a shoe store, or restaurant, or barber.

meh. That's someone not following the rules he made. Its horrid leadership - but its not hypocrisy.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:20 pm
keym wrote:

That's my frustration.

I don't think anyone is advocating for permanent lockdowns. It's not about whether or not to open up, but HOW to open up safely.

When you had to wait outside the grocery store for a half an hour, once you got inside people still crowded around the meat counter and breathed all over each other.

Last week we could get food delivered. This week we can't. I was really craving sushi for Shabbos, and now that's not going to happen. I could have had sushi delivered to my house last week, so what changed? That makes no sense to me. #FirstWorldProblems

Most schools aren't even pretending to have any kind of social distancing in place.

I feel like we're on the Titanic. Some people are heading for the life rafts, some people are complaining because the buffet is closed, and some people are looting the state rooms.

It's like herding cats. Really. 😺😾🐱

Some of us are overly cautious, some of us don't care one bit. Some are trying to make sense of the rules that change every other day. Personally, I don't rely on miracles, and err on the cautious side.

One thing we can agree on, is that EVERYONE is getting crankier by the minute. This is not normal. Nothing like this has happened since the Spanish Flu, and that was 100 years ago. Let's be honest, we're making it up as we go along, because nothing we do is guaranteed and we have no real frame of reference.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:26 pm
keym wrote:
Here's the thing.

That's my frustration.

I 100% agree. I am frustrated when people say "Well the politicians are targeting us therefore we should not take any precautions". You can be frustrated and upset with politicians but that should never be a factor in medical decisions!

keym

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I don't think anyone is advocating for permanent lockdowns. It's not about whether or not to open up, but HOW to open up safely.

When you had to wait outside the grocery store for a half an hour, once you got inside people still crowded around the meat counter and breathed all over each other.

Last week we could get food delivered. This week we can't. I was really craving sushi for Shabbos, and now that's not going to happen. I could have had sushi delivered to my house last week, so what changed? That makes no sense to me. #FirstWorldProblems

Most schools aren't even pretending to have any kind of social distancing in place.

I feel like we're on the Titanic. Some people are heading for the life rafts, some people are complaining because the buffet is closed, and some people are looting the state rooms.

It's like herding cats. Really. 😺😾🐱

Some of us are overly cautious, some of us don't care one bit. Some are trying to make sense of the rules that change every other day. Personally, I don't rely on miracles, and err on the cautious side.

One thing we can agree on, is that EVERYONE is getting crankier by the minute. This is not normal. Nothing like this has happened since the Spanish Flu, and that was 100 years ago. Let's be honest, we're making it up as we go along, because nothing we do is guaranteed and we have no real frame of reference.

And all many of us are saying is keep the guidelines consistent.
Shoe stores never should have been totally closed. Even in April. They should have been mandatory masks. One person at a time, but never closed.
The day the governor publicly encouraged outdoor masked protests with no limit is the day he should have removed the restrictions on outdoor masked unlimited prayer services.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:13 pm
meh. That's someone not following the rules he made. Its horrid leadership - but its not hypocrisy.

If that's not hypocrisy, then what is? When I was growing up, a hypocrite was someone who told his child not to smoke even though he did it. Kids were dropped off at synagogue on Saturday mornings by parents who were going shopping. Saying one thing and doing another is a form of hypocrisy.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:20 pm
southernbubby wrote:
If that's not hypocrisy, then what is? When I was growing up, a hypocrite was someone who told his child not to smoke even though he did it. Kids were dropped off at synagogue on Saturday mornings by parents who were going shopping. Saying one thing and doing another is a form of hypocrisy.

The smoking message is "we don't do things that are bad for our health, and smoking is bad for our health"....

The shul message is "religion is important".

these are moral things.

The laws aren't moral. They are attempts to manage public health.

juggling

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

You can have food delivered. The change in policy was that you can't go *to* the restaurant to pick up the food and bring it home. You absolutely can order in, and the restaurant owners will be grateful for your support during this difficult time.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:23 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I 100% agree. I am frustrated when people say "Well the politicians are targeting us therefore we should not take any precautions". You can be frustrated and upset with politicians but that should never be a factor in medical decisions!

It's more like saying that if it's safe for Cuomo to invite his elderly mother for Thanksgiving (he cancelled due to public pressure) then it's probably safe for everyone. He wouldn't make an unsafe decision. Dr Birx travelled out of state with her grandchildren so it couldn't be that dangerous. This is what people base their decision on. If it's safe for thousands of people to march in close proximity to protest, the same should be true of other crowded outdoor gatherings. Walmart is allowed during shutdowns so shopping there must be safe and therefore all similar shopping must be safe.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:29 pm
The smoking message is "we don't do things that are bad for our health, and smoking is bad for our health"....

The shul message is "religion is important".

these are moral things.

The laws aren't moral. They are attempts to manage public health.

But the mayor who goes and works out in the gym an hour before he shuts it down or who shuts down restaurants in his city but who crosses state lines to eat out sends a very mixed message, just like the parents in the above examples.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics