Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you accept a large holiday bonus if you planned....
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:11 pm
to quit a week later?

Is there an understanding that a holiday bonus is a sign of good will from an employer to an employee to show appreciation and foster a continued good work relationship?

Or are you just entitled to it because it's being given out and it's perfectly fine for you to quit the next day with no guilt?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:29 pm
When I was young and immature at my first job I got a nice bonus and then quit. My very angry boss said that he’d hoped it’ll work out and just gave me a nice bonus. I wanted to give it back but knew he wouldn’t accept it. I still feel stupid today (almost 10 years)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:39 pm
I wouldn't. Maybe tell them you're leaving and see what they say.

trixx

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:41 pm
I'd think you're entitled to it regardless but it's bad etiquette to accept knowing you plan on leaving.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
to quit a week later?

Is there an understanding that a holiday bonus is a sign of good will from an employer to an employee to show appreciation and foster a continued good work relationship?

Or are you just entitled to it because it's being given out and it's perfectly fine for you to quit the next day with no guilt?

Have you given notice? Are you planning on quitting the job with no notice? Unless there are extenuating circumstance, you should always feel guilty about quitting the next day without proper notice.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:50 pm
best to be upfront
sure you have earned it
you want to leave on a good note
and have good recommendations and referrals on your resume

STovah

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:50 pm
In larger corporate settings it’s fairly common to wait until after receiving a bonus to switch jobs.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:53 pm
Holiday bonuses are usually for the past year of work, not a down payment on the following year. I think it is appropriate to accept, since you've already earned it.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:09 pm
Like everyone else said- it’s a reward for the past work- not for the future.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:10 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
Holiday bonuses are usually for the past year of work, not a down payment on the following year. I think it is appropriate to accept, since you've already earned it.

My thoughts exactly. I would accept, because it would be a reward for the past year of good service - not a bribe to keep you working in the future.

You earned that bonus. It's yours.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:14 pm
they made the choice to announce the bonus and when the payout would be. Take it - its yours. (give reasonable notice).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:21 pm
Thank you for responses.

I was asking because I always give my housekeeper a full week's pay this time of year for a holiday gift/ bonus. Of course normally she's also put in hard work all year. That was not the case here.

This year was odd in that she started beginning of October. But she had worked for me in the past and I was always happy with her (she left because she had a baby and hadn't worked for me for nearly a full year) and so even though I would not typically give so large a bonus to someone who had just started, I did because there was an existing relationship. She took the money, worked one more day, then quit on me with no notice.

I'm rather angry about it and wondering if my feelings are justified.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for responses.

I was asking because I always give my housekeeper a full week's pay this time of year for a holiday gift/ bonus. Of course normally she's also put in hard work all year. That was not the case here.

This year was odd in that she started beginning of October. But she had worked for me in the past and I was always happy with her (she left because she had a baby and hadn't worked for me for nearly a full year) and so even though I would not typically give so large a bonus to someone who had just started, I did because there was an existing relationship. She took the money, worked one more day, then quit on me with no notice.

I'm rather angry about it and wondering if my feelings are justified.

Oh, this is a different story and almost typical of cleaning ladies. You can't compare a cleaning lady job to an office job, different working etiquette.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Oh, this is a different story and almost typical of cleaning ladies. You can't compare a cleaning lady job to an office job, different working etiquette.

Meaning what? That it's normal? That it's ok?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
to quit a week later?

I think that everyone would have a decent amount of guilt. I mean bonuses are great but its an awful feeling for an employer to give someone a bonus who goes and leaves him the very next day.

NotLazySusan

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
to quit a week later?

I would only accept if they knew I was leaving and still offered the bonus.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:41 pm
Quite a different story- can see why you are upset

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:13 pm
I see why you are upset - but it wasn't a retention bonus - it was money for the holidays.

I hope you find someone new and wonderful soon.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Meaning what? That it's normal? That it's ok?

It's normal for a cleaning lady. I don't expect better.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:52 pm
A bonus is not a bribe to get you to stay another year, but your reward for a job well done the previous year. Take the money and run, girl.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette