Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Jewish kids music - I just CAN’T. Will my kids be okay???
1  2  Next

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:12 pm
Vent incoming!

I see videos of my adorable nieces and nephews singing Uncle Moishy-style Jewish children’s songs, and I find it so heartwarming and adorable to see young kids sing about Torah and Mitzvos. And I wish my kids would have that temimusdike sweet enthusiasm.

But I tried playing that kind of stuff for my toddler and couldn’t last more than 5 minutes before I started taking psychic damage and had to shut it off.

And I really didn’t think I was one of those crotchety “hates kids stuff” adults - I genuinely enjoy Sesame Street, Story Pirates, My Little Pony, etc.

I know there are different approaches to sheltering kids and non-Jewish media, and I guess I feel like it’s my fault my kids will never have that sweetness because of their mother. My two year old adorably sings “Dog Day”, but maybe she could have been singing “I Love My Siddur” if not for me?

Argh!

So I’m gonna get two kinds of responses: “you’re fine, honey, your kids are gonna be fine” and “well, if it actually means something to you, yeah, you gotta sacrifice, even if it hurts. And obviously you’re not willing to make the sacrifice, so lie in the grave you’ve dug and answer to HaShem after 120.”

Last edited by bigsis144 on Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:14 pm
What? I didn’t do uncle moishy as a kid and I certainly don’t as a mom. We’re not a Jewish music family. Can’t stand the Jewish music superstar phenomenon. I’m ok. More than ok. My kids are ok. More than ok.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:15 pm
Mitzva Blvd?
Marvelous Midos Machine?
So many out there, different styles.

keym

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:19 pm
I hate, hate, hate Uncle Moishy. So they listened to that at the babysitter.
613 Torah Avenue and Marvelous Middos Machine, I found more tolerable.
Shmuel Kinda, even better.

My kids are into Rabbi Juravel, and that makes me want to hit my head.
Our compromise is only in bed, softly so I don't have to hear it.

And I taught my kids to appreciate Shwekey and Benny Friedman at a young age.

yamaha

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:19 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

So I’m gonna get two kinds of responses: “you’re fine, honey, your kids are gonna be fine” and “well, if it actually means something to you, yeah, you gotta sacrifice, even if it hurts. And obviously you’re not willing to make the sacrifice, so lie in the grave you’ve dug and answer to HaShem after 120.”

I hear ya. You're ok Smile

Do you wish they were singing those songs? Do you wish they could be perfectly sheltered? Do you think they would be better off with Jewish songs?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:26 pm
You don’t have to like it .
If your kids enjoy it then lower the volume and let them.
Only good lessons to be learned.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:29 pm
yamaha wrote:
I hear ya. You're ok Smile

Do you wish they were singing those songs? Do you wish they could be perfectly sheltered? Do you think they would be better off with Jewish songs?

To be honest, I didn’t grow up with Uncle Moishy in my house, but I very enthusiastically learned and sang EVERYTHING I learned in school. Much of it was in Hebrew (I went to a Hebrew-immersion school until 2nd grade), rather than American frum Jewish kids songs, and I can still sing many of those songs from memory, as well as mnemonic songs for things like who wrote which books of Tanach, Yaakov’s brachos to his sons, etc.

And for my older kids, that is totally not their personality and they hate that kind of stuff at school. So I worry about that little window of time until they’re 3-4 where mayyyybe mayyybe I can have the greatest amount of influence on them?

Ya know what, this is me being a “if I do everything perfectly, I can give my kids a perfect life” control freak again. Not as in I actively control their lives, but I make myself miserable and guilty for not being in total control of an outcome.

Imamother is my therapy on some days...

imasinger

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:31 pm
Lol, when my oldest was little, I would entertain friends -- "what does Mommy say about this music?". She would respond gleefully, and of course, without comprehension, "Insipid!"

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:34 pm
We don't play much music for the kids at home. They hear plenty of that stuff at preschool and day camp. But then they come home and sing the catchy ones over and over again. So it's not like you're going to escape hearing it.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:34 pm
My mom couldn't stand our kiddie music and always shut the tapes we turned on. I remember when I was little I said to my sister that when I'll be a mom, I'll never shut my kids tapes.
I always have kiddie music on, some do grate my nerves, but too bad, it's for the kids.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
My mom couldn't stand our kiddie music and always shut the tapes we turned on. I remember when I was little I said to my sister that when I'll be a mom, I'll never shut my kids tapes.
I always have kiddie music on, some do grate my nerves, but too bad, it's for the kids.

I wouldn’t shut off something my kids like - I just wouldn’t buy it in the first place?

I don’t really have a house setup to play music at low volume for my kids without hearing it myself.

And there really is kid music I don’t mind, and my toddler loves to dance and sing with me. But it’s to an Alanis Morissette parody with the lyrics “The Night I Started Sharing A Room with My Sister”.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:50 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I wouldn’t shut off something my kids like - I just wouldn’t buy it in the first place?

I don’t really have a house setup to play music at low volume for my kids without hearing it myself.

And there really is kid music I don’t mind, and my toddler loves to dance and sing with me. But it’s to an Alanis Morissette parody with the lyrics “The Night I Started Sharing A Room with My Sister”.

We don't really listen to that stuff in our house either. But we do listen to Jewish music. So my sons sing a lot of ishai ribo and yonatan razel right now. And some of the more american ones I can tolerate.

I enjoy hearing a sweet young child sing achat shaalti!

I'm not a fan for the indie kids music out there in the secular world anyway. So it's not an issue for me.

But I'd probably give them their own mp3 player with bluetooth speakers if I felt they needed uncle moishy.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:52 pm
A lot of kids' music gets on my nerves. Also can't stand trumpety Jewish music with little boys and old men. If you're okay with secular music, I love Raffi and the Laurie Berkner band as children's options that don't make me want to tear my hair out.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:55 pm
I don’t enjoy music( noise) in the house so we rarely have anything playing here.... but my kids hear jewish songs on the school bus and in school. My teens have their own devices with earbuds so they hear( jewish) music when they want...

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:59 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
A lot of kids' music gets on my nerves. Also can't stand trumpety Jewish music with little boys and old men. If you're okay with secular music, I love Raffi and the Laurie Berkner band as children's options that don't make me want to tear my hair out.

That EXACTLY.

Uncle Moishy ripped off one of the tunes from VeggieTales (“The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything” became “The Mitzvah Kids, We Can Do Anything”) and my husband couldn’t figure out why it bothered me so much since it was essentially the same tune.

Besides the plagiarism and losing the glorious silliness of the original lyrics (“I never bathed in yogurt and I don’t look good in leggings”, as sung by a talking cucumber), the actual musical quality went down when it became a “trumpety Jewish song with little boys and old men”. The musical arrangement was a clone of every other Uncle Moishy song.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:41 pm
But then I feel guilty for not just enjoying, but preferring silly songs like “Oh, Where is My Hairbrush?” or “Riding on A Seagull” over songs that have Jewish content. Maybe the former are harmless, but are they “empty calories” compared to songs about middos and mitzvos? I dunno, I think silly joy and imagination have their place too, and my kids are happy to dance with a mother who is singing and dancing with them. But my Inner Critic won’t leave me alone.

Stars

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:52 pm
Kiddie headphones are my best friend.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:04 pm
There wasn’t a whole lot of Jewish music specifically for children (other than secular Israeli children’s songs like “Ginah li” and “oogah oogah oogah” and the occasional “ I have a little dreidel” ) when I was a kid. We all learned regular music for general audiences even if we didn’t know the meaning of every word. Not having English-language religious songs supposedly tailored to our age group didn’t cripple us in any way.

I’m with you, big sis 44: I find contemporary Jewish children’s music nauseating. Not the music so much as the lyrics. And the phony voices! Yeccch! (This is true of both religious and secular performers. I can’t abide Barney for that reason. I like Raffy and Boz Scruggs because they sing in normal voices and don’t put on that cloying high-pitched condescending-to-little-people voice. Kids are young, not stupid.)

I’n general I’m not fond of ANY religious lyrics in English, whether written for children or adults. They just sound false and affected to me. You can get as sentimental and goofy as you like in Ivrit and it sounds fine and sincere, but the minute you try to say it English it’s stomach-turning. (Often I prefer the Hebrew lyrics even when the original is English and Ivrit is the translation. )

No, DON’T “ sacrifice” your sanity and teeth. Studies have shown that children who grow up with Uncle Moishie do not grow up any happier, smarter or in any other way better than children who grow up Uncle Moishie-free.

Besides, the man gets on your nerves. How do you think that will affect your level of patience and tolerance for your children both during and after a listening session?

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:46 pm
I have music playing most of the day for my kids and playgroup I tend to tune a lot of it out lol.the Jewish ones are ok but some times the kids just like the silly preschool songs like baby shark monkeys jumping on the bed and such its ok not every song needs a meaning. If you don't like kiddie music play mordchi Shapiro that's fine too. My kids used to listen to all the Jewish music now they are listening to secular stuff like Disney channel songs it all makes me crazy if my head hurts I don't want any music on I got my kids mp3 players lol. I think it's ok to have both I refuse to make my kids feel bad or myself to listen to something we enjoy as long as it's appropriate. I am not big into music myself but I get in my moods so I can understand why people need it

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:50 pm
Just do your best
All any of us can really do with Hashem’s Help
Hugs and hatzlocha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers