Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can I lose weight and drink a milkshake every day?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So today I tried asking the guy for amounts, he said he has no idea....
It's a 16 oz. cup, there's no ice (I'm pretty sure, I can double check that)
so all there is
vanilla ice cream
red milk
carmel (I told him to half it, so maybe 2 tbs.???)
expresso (no calories)

I know this sounds so obsessive with food, I don't obsess with food, but I'm pretty picky (I won't eat anything whereever) and like you nailed it, it's a ritual that works for me/my job (this place is near my work- but not too near!!! I need to drive for like 2 minutes....far enough to decompress- and I happen to looooooove what I do, it's crazy fulfilling, but it's also really, really high intensity, I'm always ON)
also, I'm the type of person I can eat the same exact food every day. no problem. I don't need a ton of variety. I'm happy to just have the things I like and finished.
Same with Shabbos, I make the same menu every single week. B'H works amazing for my family too.

Sounds good!

So theoretically:
Half a cup of vanilla ice cream
1 cup milk
Half a cup of whipped cream
2 tbp caramel
Espresso.

Sound about right?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:14 am
Rappel wrote:
Sounds good!

So theoretically:
Half a cup of vanilla ice cream
1 cup milk
Half a cup of whipped cream
2 tbp caramel
Espresso.

Sound about right?

Yeah, thanks for helping out,I think it has more ice cream though...
it's crazy thick!!!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:19 am
I don’t know anything about calorie counting and calorie deficits, but my friend is a nutritionist and her big thing is BALANCE. Make sure you are eating balanced meals. She says you can also balance it by day or week. So if one meal is very carb heavy, another meal could be protein heavy and that’s ok.

And make sure to get in at least 5 fruits and veggies a day

What are you having for breakfast and supper?
Why don’t you try having a healthy lunch and a small scoop of ice cream for dessert?

rising hero

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don't offer it!!!
I'm still in shock over this!!
I mean, it's 2021!!!!

They don't offer it or they can't? You asked them if they could? Also like someone mentioned do less or no whipped cream.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 2:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, thanks for helping out,I think it has more ice cream though...
it's crazy thick!!!

Alright Smile well, once you fix that list, it will be easy to calculate.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 2:25 am
Madam F. wrote:
They don't offer it or they can't? You asked them if they could? Also like someone mentioned do less or no whipped cream.

But that's all the fun! LOL

If you're going to have a food, have a food. Not a half, almost, not even satisfying food. Then you end up snacking to fill up your dissatisfaction

spikta

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 6:58 am
I think that if you already tried it for a week and you didn't lose any weight you pretty much answered your own question. If the milkshake is non negotiable, you can look into how many calories you're eating at your other meals. For a while I was tracking calories in MyFitnessPal and it was surprising how many calories even "small" meals have. A bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich can be 400-500 calories. A healthy salad with cheese, avocado, nuts and dressing can clock in at 600-700+ calories.
Creating a 500 calorie deficit is not easy, and the dancing probably burns less than you think. Especially if it's making you more hungry afterwards. Generally speaking, many studies have shown that exercise without food restriction isn't very effective for weight loss. People tend to overestimate how much energy they expend and overcompensate with food.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:14 am
Expect it to be about 600 calories

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:24 am
Can you buy it and put away half of it for the next day? It won't be the same, but maybe it will satisfy the craving?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.
If I want to lose a few pounds over the next month or so....
and I'm eating a healthy breakfast/supper etc.
Can I drink a milkshake for lunch and still lose weight?
I love ordering a daily Carmel/Expresso Milkshake after work...it's a real pick me up for me...
I've tried other "Skinny frappes", nope doesn't do it.
This milkshake is made with 1) vanilla ice cream 2) bit of milk 3) a little carmel 4) shot of expresso
It's thick and delicious and keeps me full for hours....
I order a 16 oz. and it has whip cream on top of that....

Sounds delicious now I want!

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:40 am
https://www.carvel.com/nutrition
Using carvel thick shakes (milk shakes) as a guide, assume there is at least 600+ calories in the shake and work from there

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:31 am
Another idea is to make a healthier version at home yourself. Fat free vanilla ice cream (or frozen yogurt), skim milk, and then whatever caramel sauce you can get and espresso.

You can play around with ingredients like if you don’t like it like this try upping the ice cream to low fat instead of fat free or low fat milk instead of skim but at least this way you’ll be able to calculate the calories yourself and have some control over it.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:15 am
The problem with the milkshake is that since its all sugar you will spike your blood glucose
Glucose is toxic in the blood
Your body can only handle 1-2 tsp at a time
When it goes higher than that then insulin comes to push the glucose out of the blood into the cells
INSULIN IS THE FAT STORING HORMONE
In other wards the body will protect itself by turning all sugar to fat and once that mechanism is turned on everything you eat will turn to fat even if it’s healthy.

Besides that it will increase appetite and cravings for more and more sweet things
Because your glucose goes up and then crashes the body says I NEED MORE.

True that calories in equal calories out
But we are not mechanical machines we also have hormones to account to how our body metabolizes the food we eat

Also there’s a psychological aspect
This may be an addiction
Please find other ways to decompress

If you still want to have it I would calculate it as 16 oz of pure icecream
Calorie wise it’s safer to over calculate this treat

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:16 am
Losing weight has to do with calories in and out so yeah if your calories stay below say 1200 you should still lose weight.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:24 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Losing weight has to do with calories in and out so yeah if your calories stay below say 1200 you should still lose weight.

Yes but you need to take into account hormones
Think about how when you get your cycle the scale goes up
Also premenopausal/menopausal women gain some weight even though their eating habits stay the same
Insulin is a hormone
INSULIN IS THE FAT STORING HORMONE AND OPENS THE APPETITE

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:34 am
Look up 16oz milkshakes at a few different chains to get a sense of the likely calorie range. Steak n Shake, Denny's, and so on.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:29 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Yes but you need to take into account hormones
Think about how when you get your cycle the scale goes up
Also premenopausal/menopausal women gain some weight even though their eating habits stay the same
Insulin is a hormone
INSULIN IS THE FAT STORING HORMONE AND OPENS THE APPETITE

It doesn't matter what your appetite wants or not. You'll lose the same amount of weight eating 1100 calories of healthy foods than 1100 calories of junk. there are just other benefits to junk or healthy choices. if you're talking about a lifestyle that's one thing but if I just want to 5'6 and 110 pounds I can still do that and eat junk.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:33 am
Whether you lose weight or not, feel free to reach out to me about the diabetes you’ll likely develop over time consuming a shake a day. I’m just glad I caught mine before my toes had to be removed.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:35 am
I’m on weight watchers so looked it up there.
An average milkshake is equal to the total amount of food I can eat a day.
They claim that if I ate “free” foods the rest of the day (no oil, fat, sugar, flour, most grains, processed foods) I could lose weight having one milkshake. But the rest of your diet would be very limited.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
It doesn't matter what your appetite wants or not. You'll lose the same amount of weight eating 1100 calories of healthy foods than 1100 calories of junk. there are just other benefits to junk or healthy choices. if you're talking about a lifestyle that's one thing but if I just want to 5'6 and 110 pounds I can still do that and eat junk.

Just because that works for you, does not mean it works. It also doesn’t mean you won’t develop viscera fat complications internally. Insulin IS A THING!

Yes, weight on a scale does not indicate overall health. The thing is that fat people who eat well can be healthy. I’m healthy. I’m happy.

Devastating your health no matter what you weight by eating garbage daily is never going to be a good choice!
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise