Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can I lose weight and drink a milkshake every day?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 3:51 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies!!
I actually skipped the milkshake today!!!
I had a whole wheat bagel scooped out loaded with vegetables and some tuna....
I think my calorie counting had it at 430....
so not so bad.....
what is viscera internal fat?
Also, for the poster that mentioned she's on weight watchers, the milkshake is all you can eat the whole day? wow, how many calories did they put on the milkshake?
anyways, if I do have a milkshake, which I probably will, I'll probably put it on 650 calories.....
I'm thinking to try to keep it to once or twice a week.....
not extreme either way (not cold turkey, but not 6 times a week like I was doing!!!)
When I used to live in Israel, they had this awsome low fat iced coffee that katzefet sold....
I totally miss that!! and the frappe from Greens....
I'm assuming those are lower in calories because they mix in so much ice and I'm pretty sure there's no ice cream involved
all you israelis go get yourself a katzefet Ice Coffee!!!

pause

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:04 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
The problem with the milkshake is that since its all sugar you will spike your blood glucose
Glucose is toxic in the blood
Your body can only handle 1-2 tsp at a time
When it goes higher than that then insulin comes to push the glucose out of the blood into the cells
INSULIN IS THE FAT STORING HORMONE
In other wards the body will protect itself by turning all sugar to fat and once that mechanism is turned on everything you eat will turn to fat even if it’s healthy.

Besides that it will increase appetite and cravings for more and more sweet things
Because your glucose goes up and then crashes the body says I NEED MORE.

True that calories in equal calories out
But we are not mechanical machines we also have hormones to account to how our body metabolizes the food we eat

Also there’s a psychological aspect
This may be an addiction
Please find other ways to decompress

If you still want to have it I would calculate it as 16 oz of pure icecream
Calorie wise it’s safer to over calculate this treat

I was going to post similar to this, and I was glad to see that someone else already mentioned it before page 3.

Calories in calories out doesn't take into account the type of calories and what they do to your metabolism, energy, hormones, etc. Relying on a sugar high as a substitute for a meal is a really poor choice for both sustainable weight loss and health.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:22 pm
pause wrote:
I was going to post similar to this, and I was glad to see that someone else already mentioned it before page 3.

Calories in calories out doesn't take into account the type of calories and what they do to your metabolism, energy, hormones, etc. Relying on a sugar high as a substitute for a meal is a really poor choice for both sustainable weight loss and health.

I hear you. it makes a lot of sense.
but then how does CICO work? like all these sites (nutritionix etc. eatthismuch etc.)

pause

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear you. it makes a lot of sense.
but then how does CICO work? like all these sites (nutritionix etc. eatthismuch etc.)

If you eat balanced meals they work, but if you don't, you will have a hard time seeing significant weight loss and/or you will kill your metabolism, making it harder to maintain any weight loss you do manage. And that's besides the health issues that can arise from spiking your sugar levels like that.

mizle10

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:42 pm
Fitness pal puts 16oz of homemade vanilla milkshake at 1120 calories.

They also have one listed at 500-800 calories.
I don’t know if yours is necessarily over 1000 calories but it can easily be a lot more than 450 or even 650.

STovah

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:59 pm
The vanilla milkshakes I’ve seen prepared at the local cy ice cream places must have well more than 650 calories. The medium has a very generous 4 scoops of ice cream plus whatever else is added.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:10 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Fitness pal puts 16oz of homemade vanilla milkshake at 1120 calories.

They also have one listed at 500-800 calories.
I don’t know if yours is necessarily over 1000 calories but it can easily be a lot more than 450 or even 650.

OMG!!! that's toooooooooooooons!!!
no wonder I didn't lose weight last week!!
If I was putting the milkshake in as 450 and it was really 1120!!!!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:11 pm
Make your own using a 10 oz cup and fit and free ice cream. The bought concoctions are meant to be an indulgence and use up the full allotment of calories for the day

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make your own using a 10 oz cup and fit and free ice cream. The bought concoctions are meant to be an indulgence and use up the full allotment of calories for the day

Hey I like this idea.
but the expresso in it is what gives it a kick.
I don't know how to make my own.
anyone can post little (not one that takes up the whole counter) machine that can make me expresso?
and on the topic of ice cream, my friend told me she buys this peanut butter sugar free ice cream that is delicious- it's 130 calories a serving...
we could try that out too!!!

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:17 pm
You can buy instant espresso. I get it for shabbos sometimes. You can also get a nespresso machine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You can buy instant espresso. I get it for shabbos sometimes. You can also get a nespresso machine.

sorry for my ignorance, what's instant expresso?
I know where I order my coffee, I see this huge machine and they put coffee grounds in this metal cannister and it goes through the machine. I would buy a liquid? does it taste as good as fresh?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:28 pm
You can make instant espresso like you make instant coffee its good for baking or mixing in a drink like you want to make. Its not amazing if you want to drink it plain.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey I like this idea.
but the expresso in it is what gives it a kick.
I don't know how to make my own.
anyone can post little (not one that takes up the whole counter) machine that can make me expresso?
and on the topic of ice cream, my friend told me she buys this peanut butter sugar free ice cream that is delicious- it's 130 calories a serving...
we could try that out too!!!

Buy ground coffee beans and use a French press or Aero press.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaDMuU-j9uo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMuDiq-Tvaw

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:33 pm
This looks great and is instant. It's meant for drinking, not like the King Arthur version that's meant for baking.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....cec33

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:34 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I looooove my nespresso!! I have the smallest model. It takes up very little space and makes amazing coffee, espresso, omg the lattes... the best thing ever!

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OMG!!! that's toooooooooooooons!!!
no wonder I didn't lose weight last week!!
If I was putting the milkshake in as 450 and it was really 1120!!!!!

A bagel is also a lot of calories. Whole wheat or not. You’re better off with whole wheat bread.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:40 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
A bagel is also a lot of calories. Whole wheat or not. You’re better off with whole wheat bread.

It was scooped. still more than bread....235 calories was what I put in for it (I once weighed a scooped bagel on my scale at home and the oz correlated with that)
but it's a meal I think it's fine. vegetables are really little, than .5 cup tuna....
whole meal was a bit over 400.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:45 pm
I'm going to tell you how to make something delicious and thick with fewer calories (I was going to say far fewer but even this can add up)

So here's what I'm using.

1 c unsweetened soy milk (Westsoy) or, for even fewer calories, and more protein, Pacific Hemp milk
About 2 tsp stevia, dissolve in a little warm water. This depends on how sweet you like it
(you may need to experiment and you may need to add more after you add the yogurt below, but if so, only barely mix because you don't want to lose the thickness. With time you can get your measurements more exact.)

2 tsp really good vanilla (I use flavorganics)
if you like them, generous amounts of cinnamon & ginger
I use a tsp of coconut sugar but you can use honey or agave if they agree with you. You need some real sweetener, otherwise you taste the stevia too much. But not if you use fruit, see below.

I use 3-4 tbsp cocoa. Sometimes I mix in a tsp or two of coffee. Best if you dissolve in a drop of hot water. (Or get the liquid coffee concentrate if you want.) Sometimes I just make it plain vanilla (in which case a bit more vanilla & less sweetener).

Mix all this very well. Then add a tray of ice cubes & blend just until not too many big pieces.
(You could also use frozen bananas or strawberries if you like that better, although of course it adds calories. Or even frozen coffee cubes.)

Now add 3/4 - 1 cup of PLAIN GREEK YOGURT & pulse for just a second to mix. This makes it really really thick. Sometimes I put in a few more whole ice cubes at the end to keep the whole thing cold. This, of course, is more for summertime. In the winter I'm more likely to make cocoa.

You will need a special oversized straw. I buy them on Amazon. Also my Bubba extra large mug with cover.

I make this for breakfast & often am full til later afternoon.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:37 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I'm going to tell you how to make something delicious and thick with fewer calories (I was going to say far fewer but even this can add up)

So here's what I'm using.

1 c unsweetened soy milk (Westsoy) or, for even fewer calories, and more protein, Pacific Hemp milk
About 2 tsp stevia, dissolve in a little warm water. This depends on how sweet you like it
(you may need to experiment and you may need to add more after you add the yogurt below, but if so, only barely mix because you don't want to lose the thickness. With time you can get your measurements more exact.)

2 tsp really good vanilla (I use flavorganics)
if you like them, generous amounts of cinnamon & ginger
I use a tsp of coconut sugar but you can use honey or agave if they agree with you. You need some real sweetener, otherwise you taste the stevia too much. But not if you use fruit, see below.

I use 3-4 tbsp cocoa. Sometimes I mix in a tsp or two of coffee. Best if you dissolve in a drop of hot water. (Or get the liquid coffee concentrate if you want.) Sometimes I just make it plain vanilla (in which case a bit more vanilla & less sweetener).

Mix all this very well. Then add a tray of ice cubes & blend just until not too many big pieces.
(You could also use frozen bananas or strawberries if you like that better, although of course it adds calories. Or even frozen coffee cubes.)

Now add 3/4 - 1 cup of PLAIN GREEK YOGURT & pulse for just a second to mix. This makes it really really thick. Sometimes I put in a few more whole ice cubes at the end to keep the whole thing cold. This, of course, is more for summertime. In the winter I'm more likely to make cocoa.

You will need a special oversized straw. I buy them on Amazon. Also my Bubba extra large mug with cover.

I make this for breakfast & often am full til later afternoon.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!
Thanks for this!! thanks for all the ideas everyone!!
I actually saw in evergreen once a coffee expresso sold in the fridge section, like a little bottle of pure dark coffee. I'm wondering if I can just use that and skip the whole expresso grinding business.
I love the idea of yogurt in it...makes it so healthy and filling!!

cbg

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies!!
I actually skipped the milkshake today!!!
I had a whole wheat bagel scooped out loaded with vegetables and some tuna....
I think my calorie counting had it at 430....
so not so bad.....
what is viscera internal fat?
Also, for the poster that mentioned she's on weight watchers, the milkshake is all you can eat the whole day? wow, how many calories did they put on the milkshake?
anyways, if I do have a milkshake, which I probably will, I'll probably put it on 650 calories.....
I'm thinking to try to keep it to once or twice a week.....
not extreme either way (not cold turkey, but not 6 times a week like I was doing!!!)
When I used to live in Israel, they had this awsome low fat iced coffee that katzefet sold....
I totally miss that!! and the frappe from Greens....
I'm assuming those are lower in calories because they mix in so much ice and I'm pretty sure there's no ice cream involved
all you israelis go get yourself a katzefet Ice Coffee!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but I think your milkshake is closer to 1100 calories
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise