Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Professionals please weigh in- did peppa pig cause this?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:44 am
Did it cause it? No. Is it possibly contributing? Yes. It you feel it's necessary then it doesn't really matter, does it? Just do what he needs for now and let the criticism roll off your back (unless there's anything constructive, in which case think about it).

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:51 am
All of the above. Critical people are critical and like to target people who are nice and sweet the way you are. If it isn't one thing, it's another.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:52 am
I am a very non talkative person and my son had language delays. (Yiddish speaking)
During Covid he had a lot of screen time and picked up English all on his own.
I don’t think this is what is causing the language delay.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 9:21 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Whoever said learning 2 languages at once causes language delay - that might be true, but it's worth it.
The biggest mistake I made with my kids was stopping to speak in English because one kid was barely speaking at 2.5 or 3. That was the advice I was given, seeing as we are in Israel and I am fluent in Hebrew. Well, 20 plus yrs later the kid has no language problems at all,but he and my other kids are unhappy that they weren't given the gift of a second language.

Think about the alternative. If a second language is causing a language delay, the child will most probably have learning delays throughout school, some social delays in early childhood, and continuing language delays (like comprehension and processing) throughout his 20 plus years.
Is it really worth it so that he’s not “ unhappy that they weren't given the gift of a second language” ?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Think about the alternative. If a second language is causing a language delay, the child will most probably have learning delays throughout school, some social delays in early childhood, and continuing language delays (like comprehension and processing) throughout his 20 plus years.
Is it really worth it so that he’s not “ unhappy that they weren't given the gift of a second language” ?

This is not the case though. Typically if there's a language delay due to multiple languages it's very short term and the child develops normally on their own.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
This is not the case though. Typically if there's a language delay due to multiple languages it's very short term and the child develops normally on their own.

Right. But the multiple language thing isn’t the cause of OP’s son’s language delays. As I included in my first post, it can make it worse. It was a word of advice to just stick to one language.

Miri1

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 11:20 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Whoever said learning 2 languages at once causes language delay - that might be true, but it's worth it.
The biggest mistake I made with my kids was stopping to speak in English because one kid was barely speaking at 2.5 or 3. That was the advice I was given, seeing as we are in Israel and I am fluent in Hebrew. Well, 20 plus yrs later the kid has no language problems at all,but he and my other kids are unhappy that they weren't given the gift of a second language.

If a kid has a predisposition to a language delay, the multiple languages will exacerbate the delay.
Hence the recommendation to stick to one language.

Perhaps you should reframe this for yourself:
Stopping to speak English with your child helped them to develop a solid first language, including all the crucial social and emotional expression that goes along with that.
You gave the gift of a first language.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 11:42 am
Off topic but it sounds like your child is watching for hours a day. It’s really not good for him, especially at this age. There’s got to be another way to keep him occupied and do household work. Many kids get zero screen time at that age, and the moms figure it out.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:06 pm
Screen time doesn't cause language delays. I speak four languages and every time I was learning a new one, my parents exposed me to movies/TV shows in that language and it taught me a lot. Obviously in general the less screen time the better, but even so, it's not even clear where the causation is. Too much screen time is said to cause this that and the other, but it's also true that challenging kids are more likely to get more screen time because the parents are desperate for a break. It's not so clear that screens - - > problems, a lot of the time it's actually problems - - > screens.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:40 pm
Hi, SEIT here.

OP, how much screen time is your son watching?

It should not be more than an hour a day.

1. Best for your son is "shmoozing" with an adult - try to get the conversational "ball"
as many times back and forth as you can.

This can be done by engaging in imaginative play with child - playing house, hatzolah, doctor, etc.

2. Another way is child watches you do your chores while you narrate what you are doing
and add some information:

I am adding an egg. Do you know where eggs come from? They come from chickens.

I am adding in sugar. Do you know what sugar does? It makes food taste sweet.
But too much sugar is not healthy so I will only put in a little...

3. Reading aloud to child is also great for language. Don't just read text.

First study the title of the book and look at the cover picture.

Think out loud.

"Oh look at the cover picture. It looks like a dentist office. I think this book is about going to the
dentist"

"Oh, Shimmy has a problem. He is scared of the bully at school. What can Shimmy do?
He can tell his Teacher. Or maybe tell his Mommy. Let's read on and find out what Shimmy will do..."

"Hmmm....what is happening in this picture?

"How does Shimmy look in this picture - happy? sad? scared? angry?"

4. Arrange play dates. Pay your older kids to play with him.

Hatzlochah!

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:51 pm
Right. But the multiple language thing isn’t the cause of OP’s son’s language delays. As I included in my first post, it can make it worse. It was a word of advice to just stick to one language.

It sounded like you were responding to dodgerblue; I didn't realize you were addressing op.

imaima

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 12:16 pm

Simultaneous acquisition of several languages may create a delay in each of this languages which evens out by the age of ten. And there are multiple benefits of multilingualism. Especially if the other language is English! Everyone needs English anyway, whether in Israel or anywhere else in the world.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 12:20 pm
I’m sorry about your husband. That sounds quite frustrating.
In terms of screen time, again, it’s not causing the language delay. There are many reasons why a child will be language delayed.
How’s his auditory processing? How’s his understanding? Does he follow directions? What words does he have? Does he seem frustrated when trying to communicate? Does it look like he’s struggling to get a sound out?
You’re doing an amazing job by exposing your son to language. Keep that up. Maybe start targeting certain easy words, and see if he’ll repeat it. “In! On! Eat! Up!” Easy 1 syllable words with easy sounds.

Thank you to everyone for all of your responses, empathy, and suggestions. I gained a lot from reading them.

I’m not sure about my son’s auditory processing- I’ll try remember to ask his speech therapist about it the next time we see her. He definitely understands what he’s told when spoken to in English, but doesn’t have all that much of a clue what’s going on when spoken to in Hebrew. His speech is slow, but he does say sentences, and sometimes even complex sentences “Eli said the phone is his, but it’s saba’s.” He also can rattle off all the numbers, but doesn’t have a concept of the quantity they represent. And he can say some pretty big words that he picked up from the shows he watches- like whirlpool, stegosaurus, and pterodactyl, but that doesn’t help him function when his Israeli Ganenet is telling a story in gan. He has trouble pronouncing certain sounds, and his speech isn’t always so clear- it sometimes takes a few attempts before we understand what he is trying to say.

I’m sorry that I haven’t responded to everyone’s individual responses- I found it really helpful hearing about your thoughts and experiences with this. And Amother Forestgreen, your professional opinion was extremely instructive and reassuring for me. I told DH over Shabbos that I’d asked a speech therapist online about a possible correlation between screen-time and language delay, and when he heard that you had said that there likely wasn’t a connection between the two, he backed off with the criticism. And that definitely helps me to be able to focus on getting my son the help he needs and working on language-enriching activities instead of feeling defensive and attacked. And I do know that screen time isn’t great and needs to be limited. I’m doing what I can 🙈

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 12:37 pm
Just saw more of the responses- thank you Cerulean and oneofakind- I found your posts very validating. And imaima thank you for empathy and pointers as well.

And thanks best Bubby for the pointers. Sone of those things I’m doing anyway, but it’s good to know what to focus on and emphasize. And we will try and work on play-dates more after This lockdown. In the meantime, the siblings do play with him quite a bit, which is good. And he loves creative play and reading stories, so we do a lot of that as well. I’m trying to work on asking more complex questions about the stories- with more success some days than others. Baking with me is an activity he really enjoys so we do a lot of interacting and talking around that.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 3:11 pm
Also I forgot to add that my son’s speech therapist feels very strongly that the language he’s learning should be functional. So bc he’s learning in a Hebrew setting, she has switched to doing the speech therapy sessions in Hebrew, and gives a lot of homework related to this- teaching him the colors in Hebrew, reading Hebrew books, encouraging him to join two Hebrew words together- צירוף מילים. She obviously excepts a lower standard of language of him bc we are working in a second language, but she feels that this is what is most beneficial for him.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just saw more of the responses- thank you Cerulean and oneofakind- I found your posts very validating. And imaima thank you for empathy and pointers as well.

And thanks best Bubby for the pointers. Sone of those things I’m doing anyway, but it’s good to know what to focus on and emphasize. And we will try and work on play-dates more after This lockdown. In the meantime, the siblings do play with him quite a bit, which is good. And he loves creative play and reading stories, so we do a lot of that as well. I’m trying to work on asking more complex questions about the stories- with more success some days than others. Baking with me is an activity he really enjoys so we do a lot of interacting and talking around that.

Have him watch Hebrew shows.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

And they have understanding/vocabulary of two languages.

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 11:50 pm
I have a child with verbal Apraxia and at around 18 months he was an energetic child who needed constant companionship and I had a newborn. It was some time around then that I got a cheap tablet and he started watching videos of cars and trains--and it gave me some time to do housework and take care of work etc. And then one day after months of speech therapy I was busy and he'd been watching these videos and could hardly speak so I had no idea if they were having a positive or negative impact he came up to me "I want Hot Wheels"--and from then I knew that the tablet was helping. I found out from research that a child with Apraxia may need to hear a word 1000 times to be able to say it. Thus, I don't think that videos cause a speech "Delay." my own 3 year old has had limited options for socialization this year due to Covid and he watches videos--including Peppa Pig--which is quite funny hearing him refer to "To-mah-toes" and "swim costume" and "sun cream" and he is quite verbal. I'm of the philosophy that langauge in is just as important as language out.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:30 am
Thank you for writing this question Thank you for everyone answering it

I am in a similar place with my son. During Covid I let him watch a lot, this is my only child that I let watch so much at this age. He has a problem speaking and is now in a place that sounds similar to Gan Safa. (It is not free we are paying for it) I was beating my self up of course it is because he spend so much time on the screen.

Thank you for this.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also I forgot to add that my son’s speech therapist feels very strongly that the language he’s learning should be functional. So bc he’s learning in a Hebrew setting, she has switched to doing the speech therapy sessions in Hebrew, and gives a lot of homework related to this- teaching him the colors in Hebrew, reading Hebrew books, encouraging him to join two Hebrew words together- צירוף מילים. She obviously excepts a lower standard of language of him bc we are working in a second language, but she feels that this is what is most beneficial for him.

Another SLP chiming in. I was going to say that you should address functional words and objects to your son.

Teaching colors are not functional. Verbalize everything you do at home "food, eat, bath, play, water, chicken, etc..." Actions and verbs are also important.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)