Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
To Cancel a Costco Membership I have to hold for 19 minutes?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:41 pm
Id have to either go to a Costco store, or do it by phone and theres a 19 minute hold time.

Ridiculous.

Stars

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:47 pm
Due to covid 🙄

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:51 pm
When I need to cancel, I usually press the option for buying new service. They answer the phone right away and then you can tell them that you want to cancel.
It's a no brainer. No one wants to hear that you want to cancel. They want to service the customers that are signing up with them.
Good luck!

miami85

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:43 pm
I just put my phone on speaker, do something else while I'm waiting and then pick up when they say hello.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:15 pm
Have you never waiting on the phone for a long time because there were other customers in front of you in line?
19 minutes is nothing.
If you really want to cancel, you either have to wait on line or go in person.
If ou dont want to go in person you have to wait. Do as the poster said above, just put it on speaker and do other things. Its not such a big deal.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:38 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
When I need to cancel, I usually press the option for buying new service. They answer the phone right away and then you can tell them that you want to cancel.
It's a no brainer. No one wants to hear that you want to cancel. They want to service the customers that are signing up with them.
Good luck!

I always wondered about that if its halachicly allowed or if thats genevas daas. The store specifically pays more workers for sales than customer service for a reason and it can make them upset/ lose new customers. I would be curious to ask a rav

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:49 pm
All these companies that make it so hard to cancel. I read that Optimum makes it impossible; may I never have to cancel mine! I wonder if it's possible to simply dispute the charge on the grounds that you tried to tell them to stop charging your card but couldn't get through. It's YOUR money, you don't have to pay them. I wonder if enough people do this, companies will change the way they do things. They rely on people just giving up and keeping the membership rather than dealing with the hassle, which is pretty scammy.

number

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:54 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I always wondered about that if its halachicly allowed or if thats genevas daas. The store specifically pays more workers for sales than customer service for a reason and it can make them upset/ lose new customers. I would be curious to ask a rav
Their doing it this way is genaivah. I personally would try the official way and if it doesn’t work, try every extension I can until I get through to someone. Obviously waiting on hold a few minutes doesn’t fall into that category. But if I never get through, yes I would try the new customer line. I wouldn’t ask a rav either. There’s no need to get robbed.

number

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I read that Optimum makes it impossible; may I never have to cancel mine!
I’ve cancelled optimum but I had to jump through so many hoops. They gave me the wrong info and then charged me for doing it wrong.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:01 pm
Done, after 19 minutes of hold when that phone was needed for work.

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:40 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Literally the last thing I'm calling a rav for.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:41 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

wow that is such eidelkeit I would never even have thought of that... go you!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:49 pm
number wrote:
I’ve cancelled optimum but I had to jump through so many hoops. They gave me the wrong info and then charged me for doing it wrong.

Optimum pulls that even when you don't do it wrong. Dealing with them now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:29 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Optimum pulls that even when you don't do it wrong. Dealing with them now.

Optimum is in a class by themselves. I didnt have internet with Optimum for about a month, they came down, told me it was fixed and a few hours later, I was back at square one (I changed to Verizon). It was terrible. They told me Id get refunded for the time I didnt have internet. Yeah, right, I think they gave me less than ten dollars for a month... liars...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics