Home

Bringing dd home from seminary for Pesach?
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:31 am
Chayalle wrote:
Where will girls who stay be for Pesach? Will the seminaries be making Pesach for the girls?

The seminaries made RH and Sukkot, they will surely take care of Pesach.
Although, DH and I will be fully vaccinated shortly and if my niece wants to take a test, I will have her in my home. We haven't had her yet so far because we have been super super careful.
Back to top

shabbatiscoming




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:32 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
In addition, they are talking about not allowing citizens to leave Israel other than for certain exceptional cases, so that there will be no issue with having to allow them back in.

It is pretty accepted that letting too many Israelis fly is what brought in the British and South African mutations. We don't need more....
Source? I tried finding this on the web, no luck.
Back to top

syrima




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:38 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

no idea how long this will be for.
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:43 am
Chayalle wrote:
Where will girls who stay be for Pesach? Will the seminaries be making Pesach for the girls?


Even before COVID, many girls stayed in Israel for Pesach and managed just fine. Seminaries already provide what is needed.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:46 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Pesach was hands down my favorite part of my seminary year. My parents offered to bring me home but for some reason I chose to stay. I really felt sorry for all my friends who missed out.

Pesach was amazing when I was in sem, but these girls are not going to experience any of what made your and my Pesach in sem so wonderful Sad
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Even before COVID, many girls stayed in Israel for Pesach and managed just fine. Seminaries already provide what is needed.


Yes, but they did not have their meals in the seminaries, so that's how they managed just fine. That might not be possible now.

FTR I stayed in Israel for Pesach during my Shana Bet of seminary.

(and had one Seder by a family who then asked me to come help, and basically treated me like the cleaning lady. That post by amother about taking a girl in exchange for help is rather triggering for me, bringing back less than fond memories - though I imagine that's not what she means - hopefully....)
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:03 am
Chayalle wrote:
Yes, but they did not have their meals in the seminaries, so that's how they managed just fine. That might not be possible now.

FTR I stayed in Israel for Pesach during my Shana Bet of seminary.

(and had one Seder by a family who then asked me to come help, and basically treated me like the cleaning lady. That post by amother about taking a girl in exchange for help is rather triggering for me, bringing back less than fond memories - though I imagine that's not what she means - hopefully....)


Oy that doesn't sound great...

I think the seminaries will have what to offer their students. They figured out how to open this year, with their quarantines and all those crazy arrangements. How to change how they normally do things to make it work. I am sure they will not just kick all the girls out and say "Ok we don't wanna deal with this, the year is over!"
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:13 pm
When do you have to book tickets by? When do you have to decide by? Has seminary been in touch with the parents regarding Pesach?
Back to top

amother




Pink
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:51 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I believe as of right now, and someone tell me if I am wrong, the israeli government is only allowing citizens back in to israel, so I would think that if a student leaves, they will not be allowed back in.


This was only correct for a few weeks. I know a girl who just went back yesterday after coming to us for a family simcha. She was stuck home for a month or so but then as long as she had a negative covid test before flying and can quarantine when she gets there she was able to come back. I'm not sure if chaim vchessed org was involved but she's back in the country no problem.

And as far as the seminary and ishur they seem to think the ishur will work for non citizens as well. Possibly only those with a student visa from the beginning of the year but they are working under that premise. They've been really amazing in dealing with all these covid regulations and keeping the girls taken care of amazingly well so I trust them that they know what they are doing. Having said that they still haven't confirmed pesach plans so we don't know yet what will be for sure.
Back to top

amother




Oak
 

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:24 pm
I have a son and a daughter there now. Neither one is making plans for pesach because they don't want to get stuck here after Pesach. I guess we'll see when it gets closer.

My dd has a friend whose sister is getting married soon. She's planning to come back to the U.S. for the wedding but she knows she's taking a chance and she might not be able to go back right away. She decided it's worth the risk, she'd rather miss seminary than her sister's wedding.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:30 am
If I continue to wait to decide, will there still be tickets left or is there so much demand for tickets at that time of year, that there won’t be any left? I still can’t wrap my head around paying for seminary, and then coming home for almost a month and paying for another flight..
Back to top

amother




Magenta
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:34 am
I stayed in seminary for pesach in April 2002. It was right after 9/11 and during an intifada so we were not allowed to go anywhere as the seminary was very nervous about terrorist attacks.

We were allowed to go somewhere local only for the first seder but all the rest of the meals, including our second seder was done in seminary. We kashered a kitchen and they gave us utensils and we had a blast. On chol hamoed, the seminary organized activities on campus and we had so much fun. It was literally the highlight of my year.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:52 am
I wish and she wish she could stay but not sure her seminary is going to have staying be an option. It sounds like all the girls are going home for Pesach..
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:13 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I believe as of right now, and someone tell me if I am wrong, the israeli government is only allowing citizens back in to israel, so I would think that if a student leaves, they will not be allowed back in.

But Pesach is two months away and after Pesach is three months away, it is impossible to know now what the situation will be like. By April the entire population 16 and up will be long vaccinated - who knows what the policies are going to be like by then.
They might still forbid foreigners from entering or they may permit foreigners, it’s not completely far-fetched that students will be allowed back in by then.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I continue to wait to decide, will there still be tickets left or is there so much demand for tickets at that time of year, that there won’t be any left? I still can’t wrap my head around paying for seminary, and then coming home for almost a month and paying for another flight..


Yes. We couldn't afford it at all so didn't. My girls all went to different seminaries. Only one had so few girls that they couldn't be open or otherwise helpful. My dd went to Russia. Which isn't an option this year, I know.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish and she wish she could stay but not sure her seminary is going to have staying be an option. It sounds like all the girls are going home for Pesach..

Like I said we'd be happy to have a sem girl stay by us and play with our kids while we work. Smile We're not in Jerusalem though.
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:31 am
chanchy123 wrote:
But Pesach is two months away and after Pesach is three months away, it is impossible to know now what the situation will be like. By April the entire population 16 and up will be long vaccinated - who knows what the policies are going to be like by then.
They might still forbid foreigners from entering or they may permit foreigners, it’s not completely far-fetched that students will be allowed back in by then.

Maybe. Maybe not. They can't force the vaccine and many people are not willing to get it. Plus we don't know how long immunity from the vaccines will last.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:33 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Even before COVID, many girls stayed in Israel for Pesach and managed just fine. Seminaries already provide what is needed.

Mine didn't but we were a group and figured things out ourselves. We did have to pay for it though.
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish and she wish she could stay but not sure her seminary is going to have staying be an option. It sounds like all the girls are going home for Pesach..


Why don't your contact admin and clarify this?
Back to top

cat81




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 12:16 pm
My dd is planning on going next yr but we have no plans on bringing her back for pesach. One of my best times during seminary was staying there for Yom tov.

Having said that my nephew plans on coming home for pesach this year as is most boys.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Help! How to start cleaning for pesach with lil kids
by amother
3 Yesterday at 11:49 pm View last post
Pesach Drop-Off Birthday Treat for One
by amother
5 Yesterday at 4:49 pm View last post
My daughter took covid vaccine in Seminary (Israel)
by amother
202 Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:01 pm View last post
Pesach rental in a warm place
by amother
2 Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:47 am View last post
Pesach Cookbook Recommendation
by amother
2 Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:36 am View last post