Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What should 8 month old be doing all day?

mom21n2

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 3:15 pm
My babies mostly lay around, sometimes they hang out in the exersaucer or the jumperoo. Of course, they get occasional tummy time. What else should they be doing all day?? I don't want them just lying around while the nanny talks on the phone. Then again, I have no idea what to tell her to do with them.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 4:24 pm
My 7 month old hardly lays around all day, shes so busy playing, exploring, crawling, pulling herself up etc...Tell her to put out toys, plastic cups, get down on the floor and encourage them to crawl around!

GetReal

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 4:25 pm
Do they roll over, crawl? I want my baby (younger than yours) to learn new things, so I try to have him on the floor with toys a good chunk of the day.

mom21n2

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 4:43 pm
They roll over, and the bigger one tries to crawl but hasn't been able to hoist his whole self up yet. The little one's neck gets tired just from being in the exersaucer.

abismommy

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 4:54 pm
please don't take this as criticism, but if your little one's neck gets tired for being in the exersaucer, then maybe he doesn't have the neck control for it and shouldn't be in it for that long? it could hurt his/her neck and back!
gross motor skills might be delayed (esp. it they were preemies - guessing here, don't know) and it might warrant at least checking out...just concerned, not trying to be hurtful ch"v.

mom21n2

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 5:00 pm
Of course we don't leave her there that long embarrassed I just meant that she wasn't up to sitting/crawling/moving around yet. I think they are both on track, maybe not advanced, but not really delayed either. But the doctor seems concerned which is why I'm asking. If she hadn't said anything, I probably wouldn't even be second guessing our current course of action.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 5:00 pm
At 8 months old we were at 2 solid meals a day I think.... so between 2 solid meals, 3 naps (we were still at 3 naps a day at that point too I think), bottles, playtime, reading time, going out to run errands, taking long walks, bathtime, and the occasional storytime or kid-oriented event, they had full days.

I think we still had the swings at that point too though they were starting to outgrow them. So between swings and crawling time and sitting in the playpen with toys time and reading time.... it was like a mini version of curves around here. Smile But the point is, don't stay home all day--- Target, the post office, the mall-- it's all a big adventure to them. Today we had a playdate which cancelled so instead of the playdate we went to the post office, Office Max, and Borders. Then we came home and one twin took a second nap. We're transitioning from 2 to 1 nap a day now at 14 months. But at 8 months both twins were mostly at 3 naps a day.

Enjoy!

mom21n2

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 5:06 pm
I think they are missing playtime and reading time. (Well, they EAT books...) How much time should that be at this age? They do all the other stuff. (They don't get out much b/c of the cold weather, our being in the heart of Brooklyn, and my aversion to malls/enclosed germ-filled areas. This should change in the Spring.)

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 5:14 pm
at 8 mo old I Prob read to them an hour a day in 15 min snippets.

getting out every day is key for us, germs or no germs. I figure the mall is prob cleaner than home, lol.

sorry about typos-- baby on lap Smile

atlastamom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 5:43 pm
what did your dr. say about the younger baby who is not able to sit or hold the head up? my baby was a preemie and he had torticollis so the dr. told me that he needs to be on his stomach for 2 hours during the day to strengthen the neck muscles. I really worked on this and now he is much better (at 7 months) he can finally roll over and is scooting around on the floor... do you have a bumbo seat? my baby really likes that too.

zigi

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 6:56 pm
on the floor with a play gym for tummy time, sitting up with help played with like bouncing on a lap or held to standing. the longer they spend on the tumy they will get better head and neck control. lie on the couch or floor and have the baby lie on your stomach. do you have a carpet or foam play mat it makes it more comfortable for them.

lostIma

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 7:20 pm
well lets see my baby is 7and a half months and hes cruising alll over the house, gets into everything, eats whatver he finds, doesnt let me live.. lol -b'h
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics