Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Legitimate shidduch question
Previous  1  2  3

Java

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Wow lots of moral judgment is being attached to shoveling snow.

While we are at it, we should probably ask many other equally important questions when doing shidduchim research:

Do they drive a car that has scrapes, bumps or broken parts?
Do they leave toys outside on their lawn or put everything away at night?
Is there garbage on the ground outside their house, or do they clean it up right away?
Is their home well kept, fresh paint, new windows, well kept grass and beautifully kept landscaping?
Are there weeds in their grass?
Do they have cracks in their sidewalk or driveway?

All these things can "indicate" something or another if you want to look for issues. But at some point it gets a little ridiculous.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Does leaving weeds in their grass or toys on their lawn, or driving a clunker have the potential to cause serious harm to other people? No. Does not shoveling their sidewalk? Yes

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:30 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
You're comparing apples and oranges. Does leaving weeds in their grass or toys on their lawn, or driving a clunker have the potential to cause serious harm to other people? No. Does not shoveling their sidewalk? Yes

Not if the norm in the community is to walk in the street or drive everywhere.

I am talking about a random family that does not have a business out of their house. They just live there. People in their community do not shovel. People walk in the street if they walk anywhere. People mostly drive. I really do not understand why this is not comparable to all the examples I gave.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:32 pm
Wow lots of moral judgment is being attached to shoveling snow.

While we are at it, we should probably ask many other equally important questions when doing shidduchim research:

Do they drive a car that has scrapes, bumps or broken parts?
Do they leave toys outside on their lawn or put everything away at night?
Is there garbage on the ground outside their house, or do they clean it up right away?
Is their home well kept, fresh paint, new windows, well kept grass and beautifully kept landscaping?
Are there weeds in their grass?
Do they have cracks in their sidewalk or driveway?

All these things can "indicate" something or another if you want to look for issues. But at some point it gets a little ridiculous.

Everything you listed is totally different than the snow issue... Not shoveling the snow, when people need to use the sidewalks, shows a lack of caring for others. Everything you listed, in no way puts others in danger (except maybe cracked sidewalk, if it's a trip hazard)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everything you listed is totally different than the snow issue... Not shoveling the snow, when people need to use the sidewalks, shows a lack of caring for others. Everything you listed, in no way puts others in danger (except maybe cracked sidewalk, if it's a trip hazard)

I could come up with creative ways the things I listed could be dangerous. They are just as creative as "others being put in danger ". Which "others "? No one walks on the side walk in front of my house and I don't have any visitors? Which people am I putting in danger exactly?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:50 pm
I didn't read whole thread so sorry if I am repeating.

The question is if parents have their property shoveled if that is MINHAG HAMAKOM -
customary in their neighborhood.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:58 pm
I could come up with creative ways the things I listed could be dangerous. They are just as creative as "others being put in danger ". Which "others "? No one walks on the side walk in front of my house and I don't have any visitors? Which people am I putting in danger exactly?

If noone uses the sidewalk in front of your house, its fine not to shovel. I'm talking about areas where people actually use sidewalks, like Brooklyn.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette