Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Indoor date for “older” shidduch NY

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:46 am
Any recommendations welcome…
Setting up a couple in their 50’s. 2nd time around for both. Any recommendations for indoor places to go in NY. Specific names of places please. Evening date. Ideally somewhere conducive to relaxed conversation.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:53 am
Love the lobby in 4 Seasons Manhattan.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:16 pm
https://shidduchshuk.com/shidd.....nges/

Highly recommend the TWA JFK lounge

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:33 pm
Lounge or activity?

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:39 pm
People in their 50’s shouldn’t go to lounges like 20 year olds. Should go out to eat or to coffee shop.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:48 pm
Why can't they go out for a dinner date?
Also, they should set it up themselves. Let the man plan the date.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:01 pm
Mollie wrote:
People in their 50’s shouldn’t go to lounges like 20 year olds. Should go out to eat or to coffee shop.

Why not? Also, in many lounges you can get coffee and tea….

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:02 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Why not? Also, in many lounges you can get coffee and tea….

Because they’ll be sitting next to all the young yeshiva guys and BY girls. It’s not socially appropriate. At least not in NY (this is a NY forum)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:46 pm
Mollie wrote:
Because they’ll be sitting next to all the young yeshiva guys and BY girls. It’s not socially appropriate. At least not in NY (this is a NY forum)

I never heard of such a thing! Why do young couples have a monopoly on lounges? That’s ridiculous!

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:01 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I never heard of such a thing! Why do young couples have a monopoly on lounges? That’s ridiculous!

Are you from NY? Do you know the dating scene here? They can do whatever they want, I just think it’s socially off. Let him call her himself and take her out to a restaurant.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:16 pm
Mollie wrote:
Are you from NY? Do you know the dating scene here? They can do whatever they want, I just think it’s socially off. Let him call her himself and take her out to a restaurant.

I live in NY, but I’m not from here, and I didn’t date here until later in the relationship. Should a married couple also not go to a lounge because that’s where young couples go? (Asking seriously)

Mollie

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:37 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I live in NY, but I’m not from here, and I didn’t date here until later in the relationship. Should a married couple also not go to a lounge because that’s where young couples go? (Asking seriously)

Yes, as a previous poster mentioned, a lounge like TWA on a regular night can have up to 20 different frum young yeshiva dating couples, sitting on the couches sipping drinks. A married frum couple, or a couple in their 50’s would look out of place. If they want to go, nobody will stop them.
Proper dating etiquette for an older couple is to go to a coffee house or restaurant.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:45 pm
Mollie wrote:
Yes, as a previous poster mentioned, a lounge like TWA on a regular night can have up to 20 different frum young yeshiva dating couples, sitting on the couches sipping drinks. A married frum couple, or a couple in their 50’s would look out of place. If they want to go, nobody will stop them.
Proper dating etiquette for an older couple is to go to a coffee house or restaurant.

Um….I’ve been to the hotel a few times, and there are plenty of married couples there. They don’t look out of place at all. Why does etiquette dictate that it’s only for young people?

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 5:21 pm
The fact that you think that us old people can’t go to a lobby is ridiculous. Everyone should be paying attention to their own date. You are supposed to be paying attention and getting to know the one you are there with, not checking out the scene.
I’m not sure if you are old and want to be wined and dined or if you are young and thing that old people should just dry up, curl into a ball and die (alone of course). (You know what old married people still do? Even with their cellulite and wrinkly bodies? Ewww!!)

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 6:01 pm
Every lounge that I’ve ever been to had some older couples as well. Some were probably married. It’s a totally normal place to go relax and talk.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Every lounge that I’ve ever been to had some older couples as well. Some were probably married. It’s a totally normal place to go relax and talk.

This.

If the suggestion was to meet at a hot dance club or college bar then they might stand out, but in a hotel lounge?

Hotel lobbies are perfectly normal places for people of all stripes (even -- gasp -- non-Jews) to meet and have a drink.

They are not the exclusive domain of 20-year-old frum daters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries