Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How exhausted are you after giving birth?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:15 am
When do you feel fully ready to take care of your kids again and do things like bathe them, make supper, go to work, put them to sleep, exercise, and fight with them. Do you rely heavily on help from others? Did it make a difference if it was your 4th or 8th or 12th child and how?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:17 am
Day after, bh. My mom was the same way. It’s a very personalized thing.

lovingmommy3417

This is very specific to each individual. I am up and normal within a week. Some people it takes longer.
It also depends on what kind of birth, how long labor was, etc.

amother
Burgundy

My first 3 children, the next day I was back to myself.
After my 4th I felt like I had been hit by a truck and it took a full 6 weeks for me to recover each time.
All of my labors were basically the same- easy with an epidural. My 4th was slightly harder.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:31 am
I had all c's and I am a zombie for about 6 weeks. I can barely walk for most of the time in the hospital - about 4 days.
My parents may come for a week or so after a birth but that doesn't mean it is helpful. (love my parents Heart )
DH may drop older kids off in school or daycare but I am up and about going up and down stairs slowly.
We usually get meals delivered for about a week once I am home from the hospital and it is so so helpful.
By then I can handle life, cooking simple meals, doing laundry but I am exhausted for another few weeks. I don't usually truly recover until the baby sleeps for about 5 hours at a stretch.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:39 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

So you're cleaning, cooking, caring for 10 children, working, thinking, etc. all a day after giving birth? Do you ever get tired in general? Does it hit you later?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:40 am
3-6 weeks
I literally cannot fathom how anyone is completely back to normal the day after. Is your body not physically tired? Does your v@gina /perineum not hurt? Do you not have cramps from nursing or engorged breasts from not? Are you not tired from waking up to feed your baby every 2-3-4 hours? If baby has older siblings do they not try to touch the baby if you should dare put the baby down while you try to eat something or drink a coffee? Do you not bleed more if you move around? Do you never feel the epidural effects in your back?

greengrapes

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:48 am
I feel like I was hit by a truck for the first 6,7 weeks. Also doesn't help that my babies dont sleep

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:56 am
For me it’s not about exhaustion it’s about pain. My first was Vaginal (vacuum extraction + episiotomy) and my 2nd was c/s. Recoveries were diffident but both painful. But the first morning I was home
With #2 (3 days after birth) yes I was up doing breakfast and lunch and school send off etc

Mayflower

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When do you feel fully ready to take care of your kids again and do things like bathe them, make supper, go to work, put them to sleep, exercise, and fight with them. Do you rely heavily on help from others? Did it make a difference if it was your 4th or 8th or 12th child and how?

After my first, it took me a few weeks to feel even slightly normal. I think both my body and my mind were in shock. B'H I didn't have other kids yet to take care of.

After my 2nd and 3rd, I felt much better. I think as soon as I came home from the kimpeturim home (after about a week) I was able to take care of the children. A meal train and my husband took over the cooking for a few weeks.

I went back to work only after 6 months and cannot imagine going back earlier. Physically I find it hard to function and concentrate all day without a break as long as the baby doesn't sleep through the night, and emotionally I find it easier to leave a 6 mo old baby with a babysitter than a 6 week old baby.

Currently expecting my fourth and I'm very curious how it will play out this time.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:59 am
First week can't get up without feeling very very weak. The next week a lot better. By 3-4 weeks I feel like I can do laundry, go out for lunch, mani pedi, a walk, and other non stressful activities. Takes me about 6 weeks to feel about up to normal life again. Takes about a year to feel like a human though. Can't explain it.
Obviously it all depends how much the baby sleeps cuz today I feel like a zombie.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So you're cleaning, cooking, caring for 10 children, working, thinking, etc. all a day after giving birth? Do you ever get tired in general? Does it hit you later?

10 children? Heavens no. Never.
But, yes, I am cooking, cleaning, thinking, caring for my other children, etc all a day after getting home from the hospital. Walking to my baby’s first dr appointment 3 days pp.
I’m back at work within 3 weeks. My choice.
I get a bit tired, but nothing coffee can’t help. It has never hit me yet, bh!
I also space my kids so that I’m not taking care of a baby along with my newborn.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:11 am
I have way more energy after giving before then before. I jump straight back into life and bh it doesn't seem to affect me.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:15 am
Right away. I cooked supper the day my baby was born bh. I am slightly more exhausted in the mornings since the baby keeps me up at night. However, once I'm up I'm doing the regular. My baby is 10 days old I have been cooking supper since the day she's born. I have been doing all my regular stuff. I have been working from home since I'm really bored but haven't gone back to the office since I don't want to take the baby out in the cold.

rowo

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:41 am
Wow!
There really are such different experiences!
I totally thought everyone feels like they’ve just gone through the wringer, only some people hide it better.
But I guess not.

I’m just amazed that here are women who feel almost normal and like themselves a few days after giving birth!

After difficult pregnancies, after giving birth, I feel more human, but totally wiped out and exhausted.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:45 am
I don't believe anyone that says they're back to normal within a day. That's not possible and not derech hateva. A women post birth is considered a choleh mesukan for 3 days and can be mechalel shabbos and does not have to fast yom Kippur.
Some people have no choice but to care for their kids right away but they're not back to normal, it's just impossible. We're all human beings.
I usually feel better after about 3-4 weeks but my last baby was born at a very hectic time, erev yom tov/erev wedding/erev school, and he cried non stop. By the time he started settling down, corona came and the kids were home. I never had a chance to totally get back to myself after his birth. I'm always exhausted.
I also find that I have more energy the 1st few weeks and at about 2 months a wave of exhaustion and weakness hits.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Same, just exhausted - my naps are essential for me to function.

I just had my 4th and my mom really pitched in cuz she is scared I will overdo it.

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:48 am
I take it slowly. First I go away usually. Immediately, I'm anything but ready. I can't look at anybody besides my husband and baby. After abt a week in half, I start very slowly. Bh I now have big kids that can pitch in, so house cleaning and laundry is left for the last. Full swing like before at abt 6-8 weeks.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:51 am
I felt amazing after giving birth. I had tons of energy and was in minimal pain. It hit me later, when baby was 3 months old. The exhaustion really sunk in at that point.

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:51 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I don't believe anyone that says they're back to normal within a day. That's not possible and not derech hateva. A women post birth is considered a choleh mesukan for 3 days and can be mechalel shabbos and does not have to fast yom Kippur.
Some people have no choice but to care for their kids right away but they're not back to normal, it's just impossible. We're all human beings.
I usually feel better after about 3-4 weeks but my last baby was born at a very hectic time, erev yom tov/erev wedding/erev school, and he cried non stop. By the time he started settling down, corona came and the kids were home. I never had a chance to totally get back to myself after his birth. I'm always exhausted.
I also find that I have more energy the 1st few weeks and at about 2 months a wave of exhaustion and weakness hits.

I had a baby right before corona hit and never had a chance to get back to myself fully. Bh my husband was out of work quite a bit so it made it easier but was still hard. I'm having a very close gap and having another baby iy"h. This time I hope will be a calm time and I'll be able to take my time and space as needed. I'm actually feeling better now than I did a yr ago.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics