Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Kippah in work
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:49 am
my dh got a job but he takes off his kippah when working.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:56 am
In some fields, that's the norm. It's less common than it used to be, but not at all unheard of. And I promise you that some very frum men have gone bareheaded at the office. It doesn't mean he's giving up on religion.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:59 am
Is he a lawyer, or something similar?
If NOT, I’d be concerned. (It’s 2021, not 1950.)

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Is he a lawyer, or something similar?
If NOT, I’d be concerned. (It’s 2021, not 1950.)

I wouldn't. Antisemitism and discrimination are still, unfortunately, alive and well, and not everyone works in philo-Mosaic firms in Boro Park and Lakewood.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:04 am
I know a frum neurologist who takes off his kippah at work. He has found that with the kippah on, patients are more reticent to discuss personal, s*xual issues. He wants patients to get comfortable.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:34 am
It's understandable that he took it off for work, I get it that he feels less on the spotlight this way.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:46 am
When I was in college I had a professor who seemed like a frum man but didn't wear a kippah. He wore a narrow-brimmed grey fedora of the type most American men aged 55 and up wore in the street at that time (not the insanely wide-brimmed black fedora that typified yeshivish men in the past three decades), which he removed and put on the desk when he came in and replaced when he left. Years later I learned that not only was he a frum man, he was a VERY frum man and president of a prominent Orthodox shul. I wouldn't blame any frum man if he felt uncomfortable wearing a kippah in his workplace. It must feel like having a target painted on the back of their shirt.

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
When I was in college I had a professor who seemed like a frum man but didn't wear a kippah. He wore a narrow-brimmed grey fedora of the type most American men aged 55 and up wore in the street at that time (not the insanely wide-brimmed black fedora that typified yeshivish men in the past three decades), which he removed and put on the desk when he came in and replaced when he left. Years later I learned that not only was he a frum man, he was a VERY frum man and president of a prominent Orthodox shul. I wouldn't blame any frum man if he felt uncomfortable wearing a kippah in his workplace. It must feel like having a target painted on the back of their shirt.
thats true!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 1:38 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Physics? He was really great - and very frum - man.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 1:57 pm
Men that take off their kippah for work, usually cover their head with something else like a hat, cap, scrub cap.... I don't think it's acceptable for frum men to be bareheaded at work and I don't think there's any workplace that requires a bare head in this day and age.

samantha87

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Men that take off their kippah for work, usually cover their head with something else like a hat, cap, scrub cap.... I don't think it's acceptable for frum men to be bareheaded at work and I don't think there's any workplace that requires a bare head in this day and age.

You would be surprised. My white collar dh was significantly set back on account of wearing a kippah in a job in NY.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:17 pm
samantha87 wrote:
You would be surprised. My white collar dh was significantly set back on account of wearing a kippah in a job in NY.

Is the only option to go bare headed or he can wear a hat or cap, which many men do?

samantha87

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Is the only option to go bare headed or he can wear a hat or cap, which many men do?

Fancy office environment - hats are not an option.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:26 pm
samantha87 wrote:
Fancy office environment - hats are not an option.

I guess this is where mesiras nefesh for yiddishkeit and being proud to be a jew comes in. As well as seeking guidance from a Rav.
I thought a kippah is common to be seen anywhere in this day and age, especially in NY. People that look down on a jew will look down on him regardless if he wears a kippah or not.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And....

Does his job involve making brachos or doing mitzvohs that require the wearing of a yarmulka?

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I guess this is where mesiras nefesh for yiddishkeit and being proud to be a jew comes in. As well as seeking guidance from a Rav.
I thought a kippah is common to be seen anywhere in this day and age, especially in NY. People that look down on a jew will look down on him regardless if he wears a kippah or not.

It's not necessarily a matter of being dissed. In some places, wearing a kippah is like putting up a sign "Please assault me." If I worked in, say, an unemployment office or department of corrections or public school in a nonwhite-majority neighborhood (or even some white-majority neighborhoods), I wouldn't want to be wearing a banner that says "observant Jew." Sure, you can tell by the way I dress, but there is still room for doubt. I could be an OTD Amishwoman.

OP didn't say where or in what field her dh works.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:39 pm
DH works in a large professional company (over 10,000 people at his location) he is the only person wearing a kippah.

I think it's a huge kiddush Hashem.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So, OP: What are you looking for by posting that? Clearly this bothers you, or you wouldn't post. Are you looking for sympathy (poor you, how awful, we'll daven for you both); righteous anger (how dare he, what a disgrace, you should tell him this is unacceptable); typical imamother advice (is there a rav you can talk to? Does your dh have a mashpia? Have you considered therapy?) or what? You didn't ask any question and this thread has evolved into a discussion that doesn't really have anything to do with you.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:47 pm
zaq wrote:
It's not necessarily a matter of being dissed. In some places, wearing a kippah is like putting up a sign "Please assault me." If I worked in, say, an unemployment office or department of corrections or public school in a nonwhite-majority neighborhood (or even some white-majority neighborhoods), I wouldn't want to be wearing a banner that says "observant Jew." Sure, you can tell by the way I dress, but there is still room for doubt. I could be an OTD Amishwoman.

OP didn't say where or in what field her dh works.

This is so sad that it's still happening in today's day and age in the workforce. But those that don't like jews don't like us regardless if wearing a kippah or not. He has the same chance of being assaulted just because he's a jew.
I don't think it's common for frum men to take a job where they'll need to take off their kippah. I think it's generally non negotiable.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:48 pm
zaq wrote:
So, OP: What are you looking for by posting that? Clearly this bothers you, or you wouldn't post. Are you looking for sympathy (poor you, how awful, we'll daven for you both); righteous anger (how dare he, what a disgrace, you should tell him this is unacceptable); typical imamother advice (is there a rav you can talk to? Does your dh have a mashpia? Have you considered therapy?) or what? You didn't ask any question and this thread has evolved into a discussion that doesn't really have anything to do with you.

I'm pretty sure it's the same poster who's been starting kippah related threads like it's going out of style
Personally I'm a little confused about the whole thing- if I was a troll, I would want to talk about muuuch more interesting things
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics