Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is this good enough for mm?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:01 am
I was planning to send popinsanity popcorn and a liquor. Dh says its not good enough. Its not food...
I dont know.... I see plenty mm with choco and liquor, or nuts and choco. Why is this diff?

mirror

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:08 am
Popcorn may be considered animal food (corn). Just add an apple or orange to the mix and it's okay.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:15 am
It sounds like food to me.
Ask your rabbi if you’re concerned.

Bubby6

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:24 am
You only have to give one real mm. So the rest can be popcorn and whatever. Pop insanity is so exspensive. That's very generous of you.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:52 pm
Yum do you wanna give me? The deep pop insanity colors and the liquor bottle will look really good together.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:53 pm
I LOVE popsanity unfortunately my bank account does not lol. If someone wanted to send me some I would be thrilled. I may or may not share with the husband and kids.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:56 pm
I don't know pop insanity but you just gave me the brilliant idea of making a huge pot of homemade fresh popcorn to include in our mm. Thanks.

egam

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:58 pm
mirror wrote:
Popcorn may be considered animal food (corn). Just add an apple or orange to the mix and it's okay.

Knowing the price of this popcorn brand, I can assure you it’s not even close to animal food. They are hinting about it with their brand name 🤣
It’s not a regular popcorn. It comes in different fancy flavors, like caramel or chocolate.

egam

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was planning to send popinsanity popcorn and a liquor. Dh says its not good enough. Its not food...
I dont know.... I see plenty mm with choco and liquor, or nuts and choco. Why is this diff?

Definitely enough.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:06 pm
Sounds like food to me. Does dh mean not enuf bc it seems stingy or not yotze lefi Halacha? I think he’s wrong on both counts.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:12 pm
That sounds awesome! Popisanity is not at all cheap and I would never buy it. If someone would give it to me in mm I would be THRILLED! Such a treat! And with a little liquor? Two luxury items most people never allow themselves? This is a fantastic mm. I would be very excited to receive it.

Malkqueen

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:17 pm
I have heard that there is an opinion that holds that MM must consist of foods that are ready to eat for a seuda, I.e. nosh doesn't count. Is this what your husband is referring to?
My mother always gave one person (usually the person who hosted us for the seuda) a challah amd grape juice. I believe she did this to cover all halachic opinions of what is considered a valid MM.

rakcna

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:23 pm
Just wanted to chime in. We hold that the mitzvah is "real food", as in not nosh. So we give at least one package with bread, meat, chicken, salad, chumus, or something like that (two items).

Then the other packages can be whatever.

Lately I have been just doing them all as real food because people appreciate it. This year I am doing onion rolls, beer, and homemade roasted garlic chumus.

But I have also done a smores pack (graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows), brownies and beer, time for tea (tea biscuits, honey candy, and tea bags), circus (peanuts, popcorn, and cotton candy)...

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:51 pm
My husband is makpid that the thing we give has to be at least a kzayis/ reviis (or at least 2 items do). Could that be his issue?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:52 pm
Sounds like a great mishloach manos.

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:53 pm
AYLOR, but I don't see an issue.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:53 pm
We give one real food mm (roll and deli) to be yotzi the mitzvah levhatchilsh

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:33 pm
what on earth is POPINSANITY???

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
what on earth is POPINSANITY???

Its a very gourmet popcorn. The flavors are cookies n cream, cinnamon bun, Caramel coconut. In my local grocery store it sells for $12 for a bag that is 12oz.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:40 pm
Since I've done it before, I think its fine.

Most of the MM I get are a few pieces of random junk food, so I don't really see the difference. AIUI, it just has to be ready to eat. I've gotten those "soup in a jar" things, which are kitchy-cute, but don't fulfill the mitzvah AFAIK.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics