Home

Post high school USA beis medresh advice

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:29 pm
HI! so my DS went to a reg yeshiva in 9th grade (out of town) and it wasn't a fit so he transferred to a wonderful warm chiofetz chaim school (OOT), he is looking at post high schools. I would LOVE him to be turned onto learning, he isnt yet I would love him to stay learning long term. We are a bit more yeshivish than most of his classmates (eg no smartphone, tagged laptop). he is a gr8 kid w friends w gr8 middos . they just may go to learn a couple yrs post high school and I would love him to stay longer. (my only son). He wants to look at St Louis, EY (the lighter chofetz chaim school), I am thinking why only chofetz chaim I mean I know he has learnt this way a few yrs but last yr he worked in camp with more yeshivish guys and was interested to transfer to ner yisroel 12th grade but the school said not a good year to transfer, should I have him look there for beis midrash any advice on St Louis. WITS? Denver? other schools that would encourage a deep love for learning long term? he is smart but super needs the dorm environment as he has only sisters at home and needs motivation to be inspired; sorry to be so confusing
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 3:12 pm
I don't know much about beis medrash but if he was interested in Ner Yisroel, definitely don't rule it out because it was hard to transfer this year. BM is a different hanhala and staff and there are lots of changes in the student body and it's not abnormal to switch then.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:44 pm
THANK YOU can you lmk who to contact
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:49 pm
https://nirc.edu/yeshivaapplicationform/
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 4:57 pm
He is actually more likely to stay in long term learning if he goes to a CC beis medrash than Ner Yisrael. While Ner Yisrael is a great option it definitely is more pro college and working than CC b'hashkafah.

I wouldn't say St. Louis or Rochester if he is looking for a more yeshivish crowd. I don't have enough info about WITZ or Miami but they are known for more in town yeshivish boys (relatively anyways). I know guys love Cherry Hill and Vegas - used to be Vancouver. I don't know much about Boca or CCJ but those are more options to look into. In general each branch has its own flavor so it's worth doing some research.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:12 pm
I wouldn't call Ner Yisroel pro college at all. They enable it, if a boy so desires, to make it work that he shouldn't have to leave yeshiva while getting a degree and help with credits. My husband was in Ner Yisroel for 20 years without going to college and never had any push in that direction. The hashkafa of Ner Yisroel is to let every bochur grow in the best way possible for himself without focusing on externalities and labels. Their kollel is huge, many of whom will go to college, many of whom will go into klei kodesh, and not a small number will it stay and learn long term.

CC is not pro college, but from what I've heard, and I don't have personal knowledge of it, after 7 years they're encouraged to go out to the klal, which is great for many young men but not all. I venture to guess that a large, large number of men in the kollel in Ner Yisroel is there for quite a bit longer than 7 years.... You can't even get an apartment on campus till about then and there are waiting lists....
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:20 pm
My husband just suggested looking into EY first to get that love of learning.

He also thinks Ner Yisroel might not be the right fit right now to develop that, it's very big and someone like your son might not get the extra push he needs in beis medrash where most of the boys there already have an intrinsic motivation at that age.

And he confirmed what I thought: in all his time there, he never got any sense that he should go to college. Perhaps even the opposite at times.
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I wouldn't call Ner Yisroel pro college at all. They enable it, if a boy so desires, to make it work that he shouldn't have to leave yeshiva while getting a degree and help with credits. My husband was in Ner Yisroel for 20 years without going to college and never had any push in that direction. The hashkafa of Ner Yisroel is to let every bochur grow in the best way possible for himself without focusing on externalities and labels. Their kollel is huge, many of whom will go to college, many of whom will go into klei kodesh, and not a small number will it stay and learn long term.

CC is not pro college, but from what I've heard, and I don't have personal knowledge of it, after 7 years they're encouraged to go out to the klal, which is great for many young men but not all. I venture to guess that a large, large number of men in the kollel in Ner Yisroel is there for quite a bit longer than 7 years.... You can't even get an apartment on campus till about then and there are waiting lists....


Sorry, you're right. I didn't really mean hashkafically, I guess I meant more practically. Maybe, because like your saying, it's more individually based, it's not as expected in Ner Yisrael. My husband was "pushed" to stay in learning, now he gives shiur. If he wouldn't have been in an environment that heavily promotes long term learning (though we don't promote learning forever OP if that's what you want - we aim to create marbitzei Torah), he would have gone to college at 22.

(Not a relavent point but just for the sake of clarity, the seven years begin from when you get into kollel not marriage. For example my husband got married at 24, got into kollel - basic criteria need to be in the RY shiur for 3 years upon arrival to Queens, certain number of chaburas, and certain number of blatt - at 26, and was in kollel for 7 years from then. Only after a year of semicha did we move oot.)
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 5:43 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My husband just suggested looking into EY first to get that love of learning.

He also thinks Ner Yisroel might not be the right fit right now to develop that, it's very big and someone like your son might not get the extra push he needs in beis medrash where most of the boys there already have an intrinsic motivation at that age.

And he confirmed what I thought: in all his time there, he never got any sense that he should go to college. Perhaps even the opposite at times.


That's probably because Ner Yisrael is filled with much more yeshivish boys than CC, guys that don't even think about college until later if ever. My husband was on his way and needed to be sold on learning and his Rebbeim never gave up on him.

My point was that if OP is looking for a Yeshiva that will really encourage learning no matter his "plans", then CC might do that vs not bringing the subject of college up. If he needs more dare I say regular boys, Ner Yisrael sounds like a better fit.

I very much agree with the EY idea for an older guy but usually an 18 year old is not ready for EY unless heavily supervised.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:10 pm
Right, it depends on the yeshiva but many boys who go to the right yeshiva at a young age because they don't have their own drive yet but want it end up doing very, very well making good kesharim and being influenced by the avreichim around. Those who are settled in yeshiva usually wait longer before going to a big box or very yeshivish institution. But it's imperative to do homework on this.

OP, does his 12th grade rebbe give hadracha? My understanding is that it's par for the course for rabbeim of that shiur to help place their talmidim.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:15 pm
I don't know much about it, but you can look into Ohr Hatorah (Rabbi Hoffman) in Baltimore. I know they emphasize the rebbe/talmid relationship to encourage individual growth.
https://ygohrhatorah.org/#
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:32 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Right, it depends on the yeshiva but many boys who go to the right yeshiva at a young age because they don't have their own drive yet but want it end up doing very, very well making good kesharim and being influenced by the avreichim around. Those who are settled in yeshiva usually wait longer before going to a big box or very yeshivish institution. But it's imperative to do homework on this.

OP, does his 12th grade rebbe give hadracha? My understanding is that it's par for the course for rabbeim of that shiur to help place their talmidim.


St Louis has a BM so unless a guy is specifically looking to switch the Rebbeim are not going to bring it up. Additionally, the Rebbeim there are only going to be most helpful re switching to another branch. If he wants to switch out of the system its probably worth calling people who know more about other Yeshivos besides CC.
Back to top

Perrys




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
HI! so my DS went to a reg yeshiva in 9th grade (out of town) and it wasn't a fit so he transferred to a wonderful warm chiofetz chaim school (OOT), he is looking at post high schools. I would LOVE him to be turned onto learning, he isnt yet I would love him to stay learning long term. We are a bit more yeshivish than most of his classmates (eg no smartphone, tagged laptop). he is a gr8 kid w friends w gr8 middos . they just may go to learn a couple yrs post high school and I would love him to stay longer. (my only son). He wants to look at St Louis, EY (the lighter chofetz chaim school), I am thinking why only chofetz chaim I mean I know he has learnt this way a few yrs but last yr he worked in camp with more yeshivish guys and was interested to transfer to ner yisroel 12th grade but the school said not a good year to transfer, should I have him look there for beis midrash any advice on St Louis. WITS? Denver? other schools that would encourage a deep love for learning long term? he is smart but super needs the dorm environment as he has only sisters at home and needs motivation to be inspired; sorry to be so confusing

st Louis is a great yeshiva. Pm if you want to hear more about it
Back to top

amother




Azure
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:35 pm
Boca and CCJ branches only accept la crème de la crème. If your ds is not a top Bochur, he will not get accepted into Boca and CCJ. Miami has a greater acceptance rate.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
St Louis has a BM so unless a guy is specifically looking to switch the Rebbeim are not going to bring it up. Additionally, the Rebbeim there are only going to be most helpful re switching to another branch. If he wants to switch out of the system its probably worth calling people who know more about other Yeshivos besides CC.

Oh I thought he wasn't in a yeshiva with a BM (STL was brought up as an option)... But you're right that they'll probably only know about the various branches.
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 8:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Oh I thought he wasn't in a yeshiva with a BM (STL was brought up as an option)... But you're right that they'll probably only know about the various branches.


My bad! My reading comprehension skills today could use some polishing Can't Believe It You're right, if there is no BM then the Rebbeim should be expected to help.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] Late or High?
by yo'ma
4 Today at 12:55 pm View last post
Lakewood Girls high school
by amother
211 Today at 7:19 am View last post
Threatening not to go to school or day camp
by amother
148 Today at 3:46 am View last post
I’m Graduating Medical School Now, AMA 62 Yesterday at 11:51 am View last post
Shein links for a newly minted high school teacher!!!!
by amother
28 Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:30 pm View last post