Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Laureate oklahoma or center for change for eating disorder
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 7:37 pm
amother Birch wrote:
That would be really amazing, thank you. How do you want to get me your phone number? Do you want me to post under my screen name briefly?

Yes that would be fine if it's ok with you

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 8:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes that would be fine if it's ok with you

OP please pm me. I'll leave this under my screen name for a bit then switch it to anonymous. Thank you!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 9:41 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
Once a patient goes to residential, the relapse rate becomes much higher and full recovery becomes less likely. If her therapist isn’t bringing up FBT, I’d recommend looking into therapists who specialize in that and at least getting an evaluation.

I know it’s confusing and tempting to just send her away, but you can be saving your daughter’s life.

Relapse rate is higher once she goes to residential? Full recovery becomes less likely?? Where did you get this info from? And FBT does not work for everyone. And ppl who send their children to residential after being unsuccessful at home are saving their child’s life.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:12 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Relapse rate is higher once she goes to residential? Full recovery becomes less likely?? Where did you get this info from? And FBT does not work for everyone. And ppl who send their children to residential after being unsuccessful at home are saving their child’s life.

I seem to have hurt a lot of people with my comment. I can only imagine what it's like to have a child with an eating disorder.

To be completely transparent, I struggled with an eating disorder for years as a teen and young adult. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of people go to inpatient, residential etc and I've seen amazing things happen there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are inevitable risks to going to a higher level of care. I myself have been to multiple higher levels of care and wouldn't be here without them. My point is that there are certain risks to higher levels of care that outpatient treatment doesn't pose. Eating disorders are very competitive illnesses and once a patient sees other patients who are "sicker" they often feel the need to get sicker too. Patients also often learn new behaviors while in a residential treatment center etc. The transition home is also very difficult. This often leads to a revolving door of treatment.

Like you said, FBT doesn't work for everyone and in that case, of course a higher level of care can be necessary. However, there is a common misconception that residential is the "best" option for long-term recovery. At the end of the day, the real work happens at home though and not in a higher level of care.

Many therapists, even eating disorder therapists, don't bring up FBT or outpatient therapy and instead default to residential. Unfortunately, this gives many patients/parents the idea that residential is the best option and is a "cure" for eating disorders. However, this is completely inaccurate. Residential is a stabilization, in order to be able to do the work in outpatient. No matter how effective the residential treatment program is, when your child returns home, they will face the same challenges and will need the same, intensive support.

The first time I went to a residential treatment center, like most people, I expected to come home completely cured. Unfortunately, I was in for a rude awakening when I realized that it was almost just as challenging to eat as it was before I went. I ended up back in residential just a couple of months later. This is the case for most patients, unfortunately.

Residential has its place, of course, but it shouldn't be the first line of treatment, unless medically necessary. Therapy like FBT etc should first be pursued because those have been proven to work long term and have very low relapse rates.

If your child's doctor/therapist is recommending a higher level of care due to medical reasons, PLEASE follow their suggestion. Your child's life comes first. However, if your child is medically stable, please please look into FBT. I promise, your child will thank you one day.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:27 pm
To both of the posters who have daughters with eating disorders-
I just want to give you a brief word of chizzuk. It may seem like there is no hope. But I had an eating disorder for 5 years. It dominated my life. But bh now I am happily married with 2 children and a healthy body image. I still watch my weight but I am relatively normal. I am not as thin as I was but I actually think I am beautiful. I am also very happy.
So just know there is hope.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:26 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
To both of the posters who have daughters with eating disorders-
I just want to give you a brief word of chizzuk. It may seem like there is no hope. But I had an eating disorder for 5 years. It dominated my life. But bh now I am happily married with 2 children and a healthy body image. I still watch my weight but I am relatively normal. I am not as thin as I was but I actually think I am beautiful. I am also very happy.
So just know there is hope.

BH! Thank you for the chizuk! So happy for you that you are over it BH! How old were you when you started? Are there still things that trigger you? When my daughter was in laureate there was a lady there with her after having her first baby, she was fine for a few years and then got triggered from the birth. I'm so scared for something like that to happen to my daughter

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:07 am
Can the ones who are over it share what helped you recover? We’re you inpatient? For how long were you sick? Did you do fbt therapy?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:50 am
I've been fine despite 2 pregnancies. Actually it was my first pregnancy that inspired me to stop for good (until then I was 90% fine but having little slip ups every 3 months or so- when I got pregnant I decided I wasn't going to allow myself those slip ups any more). And being a mother made me realize I couldn't put my kids at a disadvantage with unhealthy behaviours anymore. So I eat healthy and I exercise and I am very slim but not super unhealthy skinny. And I am grateful it is all behind me.
Also I did loads of CBT (outpatient). I was in therapy at 3 different pooints in my life. I can't pretend I was receptive at all those points but I did pick up the skills and attitudes I needed to guide myself through difficult times. Now I would love to be in therapy but on't have the tine, but I feel in touch with myself and think I would spot any real crisis before it came on.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:53 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I've been fine despite 2 pregnancies. Actually it was my first pregnancy that inspired me to stop for good (until then I was 90% fine but having little slip ups every 3 months or so- when I got pregnant I decided I wasn't going to allow myself those slip ups any more). And being a mother made me realize I couldn't put my kids at a disadvantage with unhealthy behaviours anymore. So I eat healthy and I exercise and I am very slim but not super unhealthy skinny. And I am grateful it is all behind me.
Also I did loads of CBT (outpatient). I was in therapy at 3 different pooints in my life. I can't pretend I was receptive at all those points but I did pick up the skills and attitudes I needed to guide myself through difficult times. Now I would love to be in therapy but on't have the tine, but I feel in touch with myself and think I would spot any real crisis before it came on.

Forgot to mention that it was outpatient because my parents just thought I was being imature. They didn't realize I had a real issue. My mother thinks that mental health is for weak people and people who have mental health issues are just lazy. BH my father paid for 1/week therapy when I was a teenager. But my mother thought I was just a spoiled brat and acting out. So don't take my experience as an argument for/against certain types of treatment. This was the only option available to me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children