Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Who should pay?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:07 pm
I would think mom should pay for it.
She was sending a gift. Let's say the tax was on 70 dollars. She would have paid it. She didn't know about the tax either way. If she knew, she would not have sent the $1 gift to sister B. So it's on her for agreeing.

Its not sister B's responsibility to know how much the gift was. .Maybe the gift was $45, maybe it was $105. Why would she think her $1 thing would make the difference??.

But the assumption is that mom wanted to send the gift to sister A and would have happily paid the tax, had there been one. And sister B's addon would not have made a difference.

Plus, whenever you ship something, they tell you up front what the cost is. Mom should have seen the price go up when she added the $1 gift. Or at least read the fine print. (Not sure how it works but I assume she was notified. You can't just spring a new charge on at the end. )

Those are my thoughts. But I'm gonna ask ds and dh when they get home.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:22 pm
DS said mom pays.
Mom accepted responsibility to send gift. She should have realized the price before she shipped it.
Sister A for sure shouldn't pay- she is receiving a gift.
Sister B is not responsible for a tax on something that mom wants to send.

He added one more thing: apologies have no bearing on anything here.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:26 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I would think mom should pay for it.
She was sending a gift. Let's say the tax was on 70 dollars. She would have paid it. She didn't know about the tax either way. If she knew, she would not have sent the $1 gift to sister B. So it's on her for agreeing.

Its not sister B's responsibility to know how much the gift was. .Maybe the gift was $45, maybe it was $105. Why would she think her $1 thing would make the difference??.

But the assumption is that mom wanted to send the gift to sister A and would have happily paid the tax, had there been one. And sister B's addon would not have made a difference.

Plus, whenever you ship something, they tell you up front what the cost is. Mom should have seen the price go up when she added the $1 gift. Or at least read the fine print. (Not sure how it works but I assume she was notified. You can't just spring a new charge on at the end. )

Those are my thoughts. But I'm gonna ask ds and dh when they get home.

Actually in Israel vat is often only calculated when it reaches Israel so it's not crazy that the mother wasn't told at checkout.
I've had that happen to me.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:30 pm
I think it depends on who could afford it more and if everyone is so close to their money that it's an issue for all of then to pay the tax, they should split the bill in 3!!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:31 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Actually in Israel vat is often only calculated when it reaches Israel so it's not crazy that the mother wasn't told at checkout.
I've had that happen to me.

Ok. But let's assume the gift was $80, and there was no sister B. The gift reaches Israel and they are informed there is a $17% tax. Would mom have paid for it? Presumably yes. She would not have wanted to burden sister A to pay a tax on a gift she received.

Mom had no idea about the threshold for the tax. Hence, the price for the gift was not on her radar. If it was, she would not have accepted sister B's request.

Sister B is not required to make these calculations. Mom could say yes or no. Sister B asked for a favor, mom agreed. So Mom has to pay.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:35 pm
By the way, for those of you who like these types of Choshen Mishpat questions, there is a fascinating book of stories where they present a scenario and at the end, there is a question, like who pays?
Its called the Lost Scotch. I think the author is Rabbi Avrohom Bookman.
At the back of the book are the answers and the relevant sources and reasoning explaining the answers. There are 2 books in the series.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette