Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Jelly Roll Cakes

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 3:50 pm
I've never made one before and have no idea how to do it!

How do you bake a cake in a jellyroll pan? I just don't get it!

I need a recipe too, the only one I have (in S[ice and Spirit) doesnt sound too good.

Thanks for the input!

I would like a cake with no special flavoring, just yellow or white cake. Or something that goes with a caramel filling, or was it praline?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 3:53 pm
it's easy. you can use any cake mix.

bake it on a cookie sheet, then, when it's still warm, roll it up (sideways) with a towel.

let it cool. then reroll, with any jam or filling.

cookielady

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 4:31 pm
Be sure to sprinkle cofectioners sugar on the dish towel first so the cake wont stick to it.

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 5:34 pm
6 eggs
6 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp flour
1 tsp bak powder
1 vanilla sugar

make snow with whites and sugar. then add the rest. beat till mixed, not too long. spread in baking paper lined jelly roll pan. bake for about 20-25 min. when done, invert on confectioner sugared dishtowel, removing paper as you go, and roll. let cool. when cool, you unroll, remover dishtowel, and fill with cream to your liking, then reroll and enjoy.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 6:14 pm
How do you keep the baking paper in the pan? I cant even keep baking paper in a regular pan! The sides always come out slanted!

Thanks for the recipe baruchashem.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 6:35 pm
....hello?.....

AGINY

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:13 pm
I haven't made jelly roll in years, but I used to make the Spice and Spirit recipe all the time. It was simple and really delicious.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:07 pm
Can I freeze it?

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:20 pm
Yes.

Not that I've ever made one but my mil makes them for us and keeps them in the freezer. Last time she made one I actually helped a little tiny bit. Tongue Out

And she doesn't use a jelly-roll pan, just heavy-duty tinfoil.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:57 pm
How do you bake with just tinfoil?

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
How do you keep the baking paper in the pan? I cant even keep baking paper in a regular pan! The sides always come out slanted!

Thanks for the recipe baruchashem.

sorry, my computer was on the blink. you basically put the paper in, try to band it as much as you can with your hand for it to fit, and pour the batter in, and push it ito all the corners and ends. enjoy.

bashinda

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 10:39 am
also I read this in Tamar Ansh's challah book:

you put a teensy bit of water and the paper sticks to the pan.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:18 am
you can DEF frreze it if you're filling it with ice cream or whip !

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 7:43 pm
I just made it but when I rolled it up it broke! Now what???

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:36 pm
in that sitch, you could just layer it then. either cut it in half, or three, and smear cream in the midst of each layer, or bake another flat one or two, and do the same. hatzlacha. you really have to watch someone who has done it before to get it right and then practice, practice.......

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:41 pm
Oysh! I don't have time for this! Why is it that every time I attempt to do something creative it ends up horrible! What do you mean layer it?
Let me tell you what look I'm going for....I have a 9 by 13 cake and on top im putting a jellyroll on the side to look like a megillah case and then I have fondant to put so it looks like its coming out of it like parchment...
What do you think?

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:44 pm
great idea, but how about buying a finished jellyroll this time, and after pesach you will practice till you get it. (or if you are in my area, I will gladly teach you how.)

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:57 pm
I don't like jellyrolls though cuz the premade are always made with jelly! Yuck!
I also really wanted to be proud of myself for my presentation cuz it would be all mine! I havent even told anybody about it, I want it as a surprise!

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:29 pm
One last thing I can offer, is I can make it for you, but you have to come and get it. Let me know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins