Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How many bottles for a nine month old

gumby

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 4:50 pm
I only nurse once in the morning and once at night. My baby, who is nine months old eats a ton, three meals a day plus a pudding or yogurt. He usually has one bottle a day of formula, about eight ounces and about one once of prune juice diluted with about six ounces of water. I notice he has gotten much skinner since he started this( he did not grow though). Do you think I should give him more formula? The doctor is the type who says things like the baby will tell you what he wants... if he wanted more formula then he would gulp down the bottle, but he doesnt do that and always plays by that last two ounces. Anybody have any ideas or went through anything like this.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 5:57 pm
Why did you start the water/juice bottle?
Perhaps if you gave formula at the time when he usually has that, he will gain a little weight.

Also, has he grown a lot taller recently? That may account for his 'skinniness'.

zigi

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 6:02 pm
my ds nurses when he wakes up cereal bottle at 11
nurse and food at 3 food at 6 then nurse at 7 if I don't nurse I give him a bottle so I guess 4 8oz bottles a day.

gumby

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 7:35 pm
The doctor said I should give him the juice bottle because after I slowed down with nursing he was getting constipated.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 9:07 pm
Maybe smaller amounts of formula, more often during the day?

Rochelro

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 10:13 pm
My aunt who's a nurse and lactation consultant told me that babies of around that age still need to drink 24 oz. of liquid a day. I guess you don't really know how much he's getting by each nursing, but maybe try and give him only 4 oz. at a time spread out throughout the day. The fact that he won't finish all 8 oz. may jut mean it's too much for his stomach at one time. I find with my baby also, it works better if I give him less ounces, more often. Good luck!

raizy

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 10:21 pm
my kids never took more then 6 onces at a time. spaced out throughout the day... one formalla bottle a day is not enough... think of every nursing as a bottle. so he would need 4 to 5 bottles a day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics