Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I’m too overprotective of my son😩
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 6:05 am
There are two issues here. First, you can tell your son "Hold my hand, or you will have to ride in the stroller." The second he wiggles free, scoop him up and strap him in tight. Do this Every. Single. Time. He needs to know that you mean business, and holding your hand is not negotiable.

Second, is more important. You use words of fear, terror, panic. There are a lot of "what if's". None of this is necessary to be a good mom. Sit down and think realistically. WHAT exactly are you afraid of? Do you have a way of controlling that situation, or preventing it? Then DO THAT, and let go of your fear.

Parenting always comes with some degree of worry, but living in a constant state of tension is not healthy for either of you. You have to look at the risk/benefit analysis. You let him run around on the playground, and that's good. "What if he gets hit by lightning?" Well, what are the odds of that happening? Not very high, that's for sure. So you take a chance, and let him play.

He wants to run around in traffic. "What if he gets hit by a car?" That is highly probable, so you choose not to allow that to happen, no matter how much he begs to run wild in the street. That's good parenting.

Every time you have a fear, ask yourself if this is something that could really happen in a million years, or just something that triggers you. Be logical, do research if you have to, and then make INFORMED decisions from a place of intelligence, not emotion. You will be a much happier mama, and be more confident in your decisions. You won't be second guessing yourself all the time, and your child will grow up to trust you because you will be calm and firm with your rules.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:33 am
I teach my toddler that if he runs ahead too much, he must go back to the stroller.
I explain to him that he must walk alongside me because I can’t run so fast.
Not sure though if at 19 months they’re told about her to understand this. Mine is a bit over 2.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:39 am
Einikel wrote:
Skip hop makes them so Carter’s should have it.

Agree. We have the skip hop one and LO loves wearing her backpack. They’re cute, not dog like.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:53 am
Op listen to franticfrummie. And a leash. No need to buy a new one IMHO. Gmach or 2nd hand is ok.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:19 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Thanks guys! I’m gonna go with the harness backpack in the future. Any local stores sell them here in Boro park? Please let me know.

How do I *not* be so overprotective? I know it’s my first and my mum was the same way with me too (also the oldest child here) but even if we’re at a friends house I keep a really really sharp eye on my son 🙈🙈🙈

It’s not normal Sad

That is normal. Why do you think it’s abnormal?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:23 am
I got my toddler the push car from Step 2. It’s great. I use it a few times a day to go to the bus stop with it. I also take him to the park in it. You may want to look into getting one for the summer

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:57 am
With the backpack, if he holds your hand, he could hold the handle. If he runs off, then you hold the handle.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics