Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Considering Aliyah to Beit Shemesh
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:50 am
Hope the image posts. Guess it didn’t. Sorry.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:53 am
Dental work is 5 dollars for a root canal!

What do you mean it costs more here?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:56 am
DrMom wrote:
Interesting, I know many people who split their time between Israel and US and they all get their dental work done in Israel because it is more affordable here.

I also know several Israeli dentists who work in the US either full time or part time - because they can charge so much more there. Actually DH once had business with a company that offered complete dental work plus luxury accommodations in Israel for Americans - because it still came out cheaper than the same work in the U.S.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:59 am
tophat wrote:
You brought beds? I thought we'd get furniture when we get there to fit the apartment.

For most people, buying furniture here is the right call. It happens that we only sent out lift after buying a house with large bedrooms (and hallways) so we sent American beds. But I would recommend buying furniture here. It's more likely to fit the house.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:10 pm
So what do people moving to Eretz Yisrael do with their appliances? Sell or donate them and buy all new in EY?

Should I bring my sewing machines?
Food processor?
Blender?
Bread machine?
Kitchen Aid?
Hair dryers and curling irons?
Lamps

Sell and buy new for everything? Including Pesach appliances? How did you all afford to replace all your things? Advice please!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:12 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
For most people, buying furniture here is the right call. It happens that we only sent out lift after buying a house with large bedrooms (and hallways) so we sent American beds. But I would recommend buying furniture here. It's more likely to fit the house.

Do they have double (or full sized) beds in Israel? What are the dimensions of a twin bed and full bed there please?

tree of life

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:20 pm
tophat wrote:
You brought beds? I thought we'd get furniture when we get there to fit the apartment.

I agree as areal estate agent In beit shemesh I reccomend to buy beds here so you can choose the size of beds as bedroom sizes are different in each house

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
So what do people moving to Eretz Yisrael do with their appliances? Sell or donate them and buy all new in EY?

Food processor?
Blender?
Bread machine?
Kitchen Aid?
Lamps

Sell and buy new for everything? Including Pesach appliances? How did you all afford to replace all your things? Advice please!

I don't know about sewing machines, but we gave away all our small appliances and bought new ones in Israel. It was just part of the cost of moving.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:28 pm
Do they have double (or full sized) beds in Israel? What are the dimensions of a twin bed and full bed there please?

They have all size beds. You can order 80 cm, 90 cm, 1 meter, 1.2 etc.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:29 pm

Food processor?
Blender?
Bread machine?
Kitchen Aid?
Lamps

I gave away everything when I moved and bought all new here.
you don't want to mess with electricity. It's not worth the hassle IMO of dealing with converters and transformers.
I don't know anything about sewing machines, but everything else, yes, donate or sell and buy here.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:30 pm

Food processor?
Blender?
Bread machine?
Kitchen Aid?
Lamps

Apartments are small here. I only know two people who have a pesach oven. Most people I know have toaster ovens and store them in a storage room on the bottom level oh the building during the year.

Everything you listed besides the hair things needs a transformer. Do you want to shlep a big box that weighs 15 pounds and is half the size of a keyboard around with you evety time you want to use an appliance?

Appliances that has detachable plugs may have the same models in Israel or Europe. We use the same plugs as Europe. You can call the companies and see if it's possible to order a European plug to attach.

You don't understand how many people I've seen in the past two weeks are trying to get rid of american lamps that need a converter. Nobody wants them!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:58 pm
Wow, ok, thanks everyone...can someone estimate two things for me please:
1. The amount you spent on new furniture when you arrived (couches, dining room set, beds, closets)
2. The amount you spent on new small appliances (including kitchen appliances, Pesach appliances, and lamps)

Also, will we need to purchase a new laptop because the charger needs to be the Israeli voltage? Thanks so much!

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:15 pm
Wow, ok, thanks everyone...can someone estimate two things for me please:
1. The amount you spent on new furniture when you arrived (couches, dining room set, beds, closets)
2. The amount you spent on new small appliances (including kitchen appliances, Pesach appliances, and lamps)

Also, will we need to purchase a new laptop because the charger needs to be the Israeli voltage? Thanks so much!

A converter should work fine for a laptop. Many people buy them in the USA. Again you can call the company and see if they have a European plug you can buy.

I moved here when I was a teen with my family so I don't know the cost.... my family didn't have much money and most families I know were the same and got couches and dining sets second hand and cheap ikea beds.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:19 pm
If you know a young couple, a college student, or a new ger who needs kitchen appliances, it's a huge mitzva to give them away.

Before I made Aliyah, I had a friend who was going through the conversion process, and she drove me around all the time to do errands. She was scheduled for gerus a few weeks after I left, and she was worried about how she could afford to set up a kosher kitchen. I gave her all of my appliances, and when I was packing I also realized I had duplicates of pots and pans, so she got those, too.

Second hand laptops are dirt cheap here, and this website is a good resource so you can get the basic idea of what kind of prices you'll be looking at for replacing appliances. https://www.zabilo.com/en/ I've ordered from them several times. They speak English, and they have amazing customer service.

Facebook pages for the community you are moving into are also excellent ways of finding bargains and sales. People are wonderful, and willing to help. Anything you are looking for, just ask, and you'll get lots of answers.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:21 pm
Electronic devises are so so crazy expensive here. Easily 3 times the prize. Most of my stuff are with European plugs, so not a problem here. The American stuff I use adapters. I recently wanted to buy a sewing machine. I knew which one I like. It costs 300$ in Europe. Here it was 800$, I didn't buy it

Teomima

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 4:00 pm
blessedflower wrote:
Electronic devises are so so crazy expensive here. Easily 3 times the prize. Most of my stuff are with European plugs, so not a problem here. The American stuff I use adapters. I recently wanted to buy a sewing machine. I knew which one I like. It costs 300$ in Europe. Here it was 800$, I didn't buy it

You can buy certain electronics and small appliances online from Amazon UK or other european destinations.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 5:22 pm
What are some sites to find fully furnished homes for long term rentals?
What a reasonable prices?
Open to anglo communities in Beit Shemesh, Ramat Beit Shemesh, Chashmonaim, Ramot, other anglo communities....

nylon

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 5:57 pm
Most laptops (phones, tablets...) are dual voltage and all you need is a new plug or an adapter, since they are designed for travel. It will say 100-240V, 50/60 Hz. Anything that says that--you can bring it and just get a plug adapter.

Unless your appliance is dual voltage, which is unlikely, don't bring it. Hair dryers will sort of work, but not as well, and they will burn out faster. Anything with a motor requires a transformer, which is bulky and shortens the life of the appliance.

tree of life

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
What are some sites to find fully furnished homes for long term rentals?
What a reasonable prices?
Open to anglo communities in Beit Shemesh, Ramat Beit Shemesh, Chashmonaim, Ramot, other anglo communities....

Hi I can try help you I'm a real estate agent in ramet beis shemesh looking forward to hearing from you without pressuring you

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 7:05 am
Somebody said baking soda from the US. You can get it here 600 grams at 9.90 nis on sale.
If you are fine with give away items once you are in israel look at Agora.co.il. all free!!! Install a smart agent (sochen chacham). You need a bit of siat hadishmaya and time but it's worth it IMO. Also yad2.co.il but there you have to pay.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions