Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Must read Reading material for kids
1  2  Next

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:15 am
Hi,

My kids are BH avid readers; I am always stocking up our library with new books. I would like to introduce my kids to the amazing books we grew up with (going back 20,30 years...). Jewish or clean non Jewish. Unfortunately I can’t remember any book titles although I remember enjoying plenty of good reading materiel. Light enjoyable reading, nothing heavy. For 8 & 11 year old girls.
Any of you wonderful ladies can recommend any books your kids or yourself have enjoyed? Thank you!!

s1

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:19 am
Ballet shoes
Chalet school
Malory towers/St Claire’s
Little house on the prairie
On the banks of plum creek
What Katy did
Heidi
Alice in wonderland

I’m always looking for good kosher reading material for my kids!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:22 am
If you're American you probably didn't grow up with her, but I would reccomend anything g by Noel Streatfeild.

Her first book was Ballet Shoes, whichbis a great place to start, but all of her books are excellent. (Just because its called ballet shoes doesn't mean it's pretty pretty and all about dancing. It's very clean, and and really deals with struggle to find ones place and values as well as being a good story.)

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:25 am
I'll add an Ausralian author who I've recently discovered, Mary Grant Bruce. I don't know how easy it is to find her books in print, but most of them are available for free download from Faded Pages, if you have a kindle.

Start with her Billabong series, and then explore the rest.

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:31 am
s1 wrote:
Ballet shoes
Chalet school
Malory towers/St Claire’s
Little house on the prairie
On the banks of plum creek
What Katy did
Heidi
Alice in wonderland

I’m always looking for good kosher reading material for my kids!

Thank you for the list Salut

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:31 am
Elfrida wrote:
If you're American you probably didn't grow up with her, but I would reccomend anything g by Noel Streatfeild.

Her first book was Ballet Shoes, whichbis a great place to start, but all of her books are excellent. (Just because its called ballet shoes doesn't mean it's pretty pretty and all about dancing. It's very clean, and and really deals with struggle to find ones place and values as well as being a good story.)

Thank you!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:33 am
Enid Blyton was a prolific author, if not exactly quality literature, and girls this age should enjoy her books.

There are school stories and adventure stories. Easy to find in print and also available on Faded Pages.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:42 am
Yang the youngest and his Terrible Ear- 5th grade level.

Anne of Green Gables series

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:43 am
Elfrida wrote:
Enid Blyton was a prolific author, if not exactly quality literature, and girls this age should enjoy her books.

There are school stories and adventure stories. Easy to find in print and also available on Faded Pages.

Thank you! Faded pages is a website?

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Yang the youngest and his Terrible Ear- 5th grade level.

Anne of Green Gables series

Thank you!! Will check these out too!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:05 am
Pamela wrote:
Thank you! Faded pages is a website?

Yes, Faded Pages is a website where out of copyright books are available for free download. Google it and you should get there easily.

They are based in Canada, and follow Canadian copyright law, by which copyright expires fifty years after the death of the author. According to American law, copyright lasts for seventy years after the death of the author.

Gutenberg is another website for free downloads which follows America copyright law. They also have some children's books, but I think a more limited range.

ETA
Some of the books on Faded Pages are also out of copyright under American law. For instance, the Anne of Green Gables series is available on both websites. You can always check the author biography if you want.

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:06 am
Am a huge reader.. my all time favorites at that age were:

Charlotte's web
Half Magic (Edward eager)
Magic by the Lake
The Saturdays

All squeaky clean

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:19 am
OP - have you checked out the secular booklist available for free download at chinuch.org? It reviews a bunch of non-Jewish books for different ages and tries to identify issues that might concern frum parents. I am probably more relaxed than many on here, so I am referring to the Secular Booklist as a way of qualifying my suggestions, so that you can check for yourself if you are more conservative.

Roald Dahl wrote some very enjoyable books for that age. His books typically don't contain any s_xual content or profanity, but the Secular Booklist marks most of them as questionable or unacceptable for other reasons, such as mild language ("stupid," "heck," etc.) and bad middos. Up to you. My DD has loved all but one of the ones she read.

The original Wizard of Oz books are great. There are fourteen of them. The handful reviewed by the Secular Booklist are marked OK or OK?. My DD is on #4 now, and so far loves them.

The Boxcar Children could be a good option. I have not been pre-reading them cover to cover, but I have been getting my DD the original series by the original author, published from the 1920's to the 1970's. They seem very clean from what I've seen. DD really likes these too, and she is on #6 I think now.

Both the Wizard of Oz and the Boxcar Children have been continued after the original authors' deaths, with new and modern books being added to the series. Without pre-reading 100%, I feel safer sticking to the books published decades ago, but there may be good ones that are more recent too.

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:22 am
Elfrida wrote:
Yes, Faded Pages is a website where out of copyright books are available for free download. Google it and you should get there easily.

They are based in Canada, and follow Canadian copyright law, by which copyright expires fifty years after the death of the author. According to American law, copyright lasts for seventy years after the death of the author.

Gutenberg is another website for free downloads which follows America copyright law. They also have some children's books, but I think a more limited range.

ETA
Some of the books on Faded Pages are also out of copyright under American law. For instance, the Anne of Green Gables series is available on both websites. You can always check the author biography if you want.

They are not hard copies?

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Am a huge reader.. my all time favorites at that age were:

Charlotte's web
Half Magic (Edward eager)
Magic by the Lake
The Saturdays

All squeaky clean

Thank you! Will check these out

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:24 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
OP - have you checked out the secular booklist available for free download at chinuch.org? It reviews a bunch of non-Jewish books for different ages and tries to identify issues that might concern frum parents. I am probably more relaxed than many on here, so I am referring to the Secular Booklist as a way of qualifying my suggestions, so that you can check for yourself if you are more conservative.

Roald Dahl wrote some very enjoyable books for that age. His books typically don't contain any s_xual content or profanity, but the Secular Booklist marks most of them as questionable or unacceptable for other reasons, such as mild language ("stupid," "heck," etc.) and bad middos. Up to you. My DD has loved all but one of the ones she read.

The original Wizard of Oz books are great. There are fourteen of them. The handful reviewed by the Secular Booklist are marked OK or OK?. My DD is on #4 now, and so far loves them.

The Boxcar Children could be a good option. I have not been pre-reading them cover to cover, but I have been getting my DD the original series by the original author, published from the 1920's to the 1970's. They seem very clean from what I've seen. DD really likes these too, and she is on #6 I think now.

Both the Wizard of Oz and the Boxcar Children have been continued after the original authors' deaths, with new and modern books being added to the series. Without pre-reading 100%, I feel safer sticking to the books published decades ago, but there may be good ones that are more recent too.

I wasn’t aware of chinuch.org’s book list! Thank you so much!!

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:25 am
Frindle and anything by Andrew Clements is great, very fun and entertaining
The Magic Treehouse Series is also a great series

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:32 am
Like 2nd grade age:
Secrets of droon (has magic)
A-z mysteries
Cam jansen

Older:
Guardians of gahoole
Old Nancy drew and old hardy boys
Bobbsey twins if you can even find it...
Mrs piggle wiggle
Royal diaries (historical fiction of princesses and queens)
Boys against girls - some a bit inappropriate but absolutely hilarious
Ramona series by Beverly Cleary and her other books
Encyclopedia brown

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:33 am
Pamela wrote:
They are not hard copies?

No, that's why I qualified it by saying you would need a kindle or similar. You download the files. Though I suppose you could download them in pdf format then print them. It would take a lot of paper.

A kindle isn't cheap, but isn't outrageously expensive, and with so many books available for free download is a good investment. Then you can keep the real books for Shabbos.

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:34 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Like 2nd grade age:
Secrets of droon (has magic)
A-z mysteries
Cam jansen

Older:
Guardians of gahoole
Old Nancy drew and old hardy boys
Bobbsey twins if you can even find it...
Mrs piggle wiggle
Royal diaries (historical fiction of princesses and queens)
Boys against girls - some a bit inappropriate but absolutely hilarious
Ramona series by Beverly Cleary and her other books
Encyclopedia brown

Thank you for taking the time to to write the list
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room