Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tti or other program for premed?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:06 pm
Please share which express bachelors programs may be useful for someone who is considering medical school in the future.

Both in terms of program curriculum and prerequisites; and how acceptable such express bachelors would be at a decent medical school.

Or, which college level tests a HS student at take now that could be useful later on: cleps, jses or smth else?

Thanks

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:14 pm
Hi! Dh is a 3rd year med student. I’ll try to ask him an Qs u want me to.
For starters, it’s extremely competitive now and you can’t take short cuts. A 4 year degree from a reputable university will increase chances of acceptance.
There is a site called SDN (student doctor network) it’s extremely helpful for anyone starting out

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:21 pm
Hi!
Another med students wife here.
I can't stress this enough, but an accelerated bachelor's degree is NOT the way to go.
Medical school is extremely competitive, and it's hard enough to get in as it is, from a reputable undergrad and a good MCAT score, and of course you need extracurriculars as well. I myself have done a lot of research and am up to date on my knowledge - Don't waste your time with a accelerated program.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:51 pm
Is there a « safe » place for a frum girl to attend college these days? I went twenty years ago, and it was already quite iffy, with all the liberal professors, environment, some yucky curricula in literature and other stuff...

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there a « safe » place for a frum girl to attend college these days? I went twenty years ago, and it was already quite iffy, with all the liberal professors, environment, some yucky curricula in literature and other stuff...

That’s not really for strangers on the internet to decide for u. Plus, are u really considering med school when ur concerned about college?
If it makes u feel any better, dh does have a frum girl in his class.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Im just curious, and I don't mean for you to take this the wrong way, but you do know there is no "frum" medical school, right?
She is going to encounter thus stuff sooner rather than later.
I know the curriculum in medical school, she will encounter all the "stuff" you posted. It's just how it is.

I know some frum med students who went to brooklyn college, city college (the Sophie Davis program which is amazing if she can get into), stern (yu), and touro. But if its a frum girl, why doesn't she join JOWMA? She can get great resources there and mentors, and have peers I'm the same situation as her, which is really helpful!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
That’s not really for strangers on the internet to decide for u. Plus, are u really considering med school when ur concerned about college?
If it makes u feel any better, dh does have a frum girl in his class.

We cross posted - I agree.

For what it's worth, dh has multiple frum girls in his class..

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:04 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
We cross posted - I agree.

For what it's worth, dh has multiple frum girls in his class..

Ye, I hope my reply isn’t snarky. If she’s going to follow thru with this- she needs to find herself a good knowledgeable Rabbi. There are going to be things that come up along the way. It’ll help her now and for the future to have sound guidance..

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:38 pm
Ye, I hope my reply isn’t snarky. If she’s going to follow thru with this- she needs to find herself a good knowledgeable Rabbi. There are going to be things that come up along the way. It’ll help her now and for the future to have sound guidance..

Definitely.

Also, hi fellow ima who's in a similar situation as me 🙋🏼‍♀️

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:40 pm
Definitely.

Also, hi fellow ima who's in a similar situation as me 🙋🏼‍♀️

Hi! I may have once PM’d u.. was that u? I’m in NJ, dh is in RWJ med school..

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:43 pm
Hi! I may have once PM’d u.. was that u? I’m in NJ, dh is in RWJ med school..

No, not me, but nice to meet you!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:44 pm
No, not me, but nice to meet you!

Oh ok! I’m happy another med school wife is on here! Where do u live?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:48 pm
Touro, specially Touro Manhattan
With a "quick" bachelors degree she's going to have trouble getting into medical school. Don't bother with cleps etc

Touro is a great and safe place for undergrad education for a girl who has been attending BYs until that point. It helps ease girls into the "real world" without sudden culture shock. And she won't be exposed to a super left wing liberal anti religious atmosphere. Medical school is a much a more professional atmosphere and she won't be studying things like "gender studies" when she ultimately gets there. She'll be studying medicine.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:49 pm
Oh ok! I’m happy another med school wife is on here! Where do u live?

Want to take this to PM? 🤗
I'll go back to amother after you see this...

Last edited by amother on Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Stern.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:52 pm
To add to what I wrote above:
Touro is NOT a Bais Yaakov school by any means. It's an actual college. What you're escaping there is the overt religious persecution that is going on at many universities today. It's also an all female environment though if you're daughter is planning on going to med school she should be doing research in labs etc at the same time and that will be a mixed gender environment. So will medical school. And practicing medicine for that matter.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Touro, specially Touro Manhattan
With a "quick" bachelors degree she's going to have trouble getting into medical school. Don't bother with cleps etc

Touro is a great and safe place for undergrad education for a girl who has been attending BYs until that point. It helps ease girls into the "real world" without sudden culture shock. And she won't be exposed to a super left wing liberal anti religious atmosphere. Medical school is a much a more professional atmosphere and she won't be studying things like "gender studies" when she ultimately gets there. She'll be studying medicine.

L.O.L.

Inclusion and diversity is a big part of medical school.
While it may not be called Gender studies, its definitely in the curriculum, whether its how to address patients or classmates who identify differently. Or the history of certain backgrounds, etc. Nothing to with the science of medicine, but definitely part of the curriculum.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:04 pm
OP, my sister just got into med school. It was a grueling process, coming from Touro with a top GPA and pretty high MCAT score, plus medical experience and a bunch of extracurriculars. So far, she is the only premed student from the Touro Flatbush applicants to have been accepted (as far as she knows). Med school applications are up by 20%. Who knows if it's a trend or a temporary pandemic stat, but either way, it's REALLY hard to get in, even with top grades.

As other posters mentioned, don't take any shortcuts at all. Taking any CLEPs or doing an accelerated degree looks bad to schools. My sister's classmate had a similar GPA and higher MCAT score but was waitlisted. My sister suspects that part of the reason is that this girl is only 21 (my sister is a few years older) and has done everything in a rush. (Another big factor might have been the interview.)

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:06 pm
L.O.L.

Inclusion and diversity is a big part of medical school.
While it may not be called Gender studies, its definitely in the curriculum, whether its how to address patients or classmates who identify differently. Or the history of certain backgrounds, etc. Nothing to with the science of medicine, but definitely part of the curriculum.

This. Pretty much every secular workplace has mandated LGBTQ+ seminars etc....

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:07 pm
Want to take this to PM? 🤗
I'll go back to amother after you see this...

I missed it! Sure u want to pm
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics