Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kid's Sneakers $$$$?????
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mizle10

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:59 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Why? That is crazy!

Welcome to Montreal:)
While I’m at it, a brick of American cheese is $30.

mizle10

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:00 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Why? That is crazy!

But regardless of how venettinis are priced by you, the Jewish stores are still not selling quality running shoes. They’re trendy junk, for the most part.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:02 am
mizle10 wrote:
But regardless of how venettinis are priced by you, the Jewish stores are still not selling quality running shoes. They’re trendy junk, for the most part.

Not in my experience. My kids shoes are still in great condition after a full season of being worn.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:04 am
LOL, I use brass lechters that I found at Goodwill. They sit on a tray that I found at a garage sale.

I don't wish ill on anyone who has silver lechters that cost thousands of dollars. Not in the least!

Good quality shoes are important for spine and joint health, no argument there. My problem is with shoes that are of questionable quality, but have a brand name that is the most important part about them.

TBH, I remember when I was a teenager, I thought I would DIE if I didn't have a pair of checkered Vans, and getting the fake version was out of the question. I had to save my allowance to pay for them with my own money. Oh how proud I was that day I wore them to school! LOL

If your child will be outgrowing these shoes in a year (DD outgrew shoes on a monthly basis) then spending a lot is not a good investment, unless they have younger siblings who will benefit. If your child needs orthotics or high quality shoes due to a medical condition, then by all means invest - then pray that your insurance will cover part of the cost.

I only wear Naot shoes, because they fit me like a dream, and make my back happy. They are very expensive, but they last for 10 years or more. I don't care if anyone knows that I'm wearing Naot or not, and I don't care what people think about that.

A great way to figure value, is to take the original purchase price, and then divide by the number of years you will be able to use it. For example a good quality down coat will cost $200, but if it lasts 10 years, then you are only paying $20 a year for a nice warm coat.

Now, will I be passing theses brass lechters down to my grandchildren? Probably not! Still, I think I paid $6.00 for 4 of them, and I've had them for almost 20 years now. Not too bad!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:23 am
Blessing1 wrote:
What I can't fathom is spending money, any amount, especially $300-$500!!! on golden goose sneakers that look worn out and ragged. I'm literally scratching my head over this. I don't get it.

Its a matter of taste. I don't get the whole oversized dress look, or cottagecore. Or those sneakers.
So I don't buy them.

A lot of limited edition, very expensive sneakers are bought by collectors. I don't get sneaker collecting, although I actually know people who earn decent money as sneaker resellers. I also don't get my late MIL's teacup collection, and I'm sure my kids are puzzled by my fondness for Caithness glass.

As I said, I'm just tired of anyone who disagrees with another person's decisions being mocked and belittled.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:27 am
I get my $25 shoes from amazon. Free returns so I can order a few sizes and great customer service.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:31 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I've no doubt that there is peer pressure in some of the style selection. But yes, we prioritize shoes.

I'm just tired of anyone who prioritizes different things being mocked and belittled as "sheep."

I think people do that when people prioritize "what ever is currently in" or "whatever their friends are wearing" without developing their own real priorities and without considering their own real needs (including budgetary concerns.)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
LOL, I use brass lechters that I found at Goodwill. They sit on a tray that I found at a garage sale.

I don't wish ill on anyone who has silver lechters that cost thousands of dollars. Not in the least!

I had an elderly neighbor - a well-to-do woman - who used the brass candlesticks her mother had packed into her suitcase when she put her on a kinder transport as a 5-year-old.

They were clearly what she prioritized and needed when she blessed them each week.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:36 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Its a matter of taste. I don't get the whole oversized dress look, or cottagecore. Or those sneakers.
So I don't buy them.

A lot of limited edition, very expensive sneakers are bought by collectors. I don't get sneaker collecting, although I actually know people who earn decent money as sneaker resellers. I also don't get my late MIL's teacup collection, and I'm sure my kids are puzzled by my fondness for Caithness glass.

As I said, I'm just tired of anyone who disagrees with another person's decisions being mocked and belittled.

A matter of taste to spend $500 on sneakers that look old, ragged, dirty and worn? I don't think so. It's a matter of getting them because they're brand name even if they look ugly. If it would be a matter of taste, people with that taste would get them even if they weren't in style or they'd get a $20 shoe and wear them out and make them dirty. But they'd never do that because it's not brand name. It somehow became acceptable to wear dirty and torn clothing if they're brand name. No one would buy the same dirty sneakers if target would sell them.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:45 am
Expensive worn out sneakers are a win win if they are super comfortable ... because they'll always look brand new, they'll never look worn out Wink

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:55 am
Blessing1 wrote:
What I can't fathom is spending money, any amount, especially $300-$500!!! on golden goose sneakers that look worn out and ragged. I'm literally scratching my head over this. I don't get it.

Reviews say that they're extremely comfortable, use fine leather (most sneaker leather is not fine, and most sneakers are mostly non-leather), and hand finished by craftsmen.

Not my taste. Not my kids' taste. But not a moral failing.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:06 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Expensive worn out sneakers are a win win if they are super comfortable ... because they'll always look brand new, they'll never look worn out Wink

Ha good point!

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:08 pm
my girls only wear sneakers or booties never spent 120. one of my girls are very hard on shoes and they are garbage after about 4 months (holes) she like Skechers they are like 60-80 depending on sales. Now that I have some kids in adult sizes I feel those just tend to cost more. also famous footwear is a good place to look .

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:26 pm
I buy $12-$15 shoes/sneakers from walmart.

byisrael

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:41 pm
the actual look is not so different then the worn/distressed skirts, socks, t-shirts in style

I would never spend so much on a shoe but I think they are cute (never heard of them before this thread)

People are allowed to have a different taste then you. The problem is when so many parents have no backbone and buy things they don't like and cant afford because of peer pressure.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:59 pm
I’m clothes and style and fashions but I don’t do $100 sneakers. Simply because I really don’t think they last any longer or look any cuter then Adidas, Zara and Lacoste sneakers that I buy for my son.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 5:08 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Wearing good sneakers isn't a character flaw. Any more than wanting a nice lechter (I use brass candlesticks that belonged to my grandparents), to put your kid in a nice Shabbat outfit (we never spent much when the kids were young, its not something "done" in our community) or anything else. Why do people here need to belittle others in order to support their own decisions?

Hear hear hear hear. I have never agreed with anything on this site more.

emma07

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 6:11 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
A matter of taste to spend $500 on sneakers that look old, ragged, dirty and worn? I don't think so. It's a matter of getting them because they're brand name even if they look ugly. If it would be a matter of taste, people with that taste would get them even if they weren't in style or they'd get a $20 shoe and wear them out and make them dirty. But they'd never do that because it's not brand name. It somehow became acceptable to wear dirty and torn clothing if they're brand name. No one would buy the same dirty sneakers if target would sell them.
nonsense I buy them because I like them and can afford them!

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 6:41 pm
Before pesach someone linked geox sneakers from Amazon for $20. Got them for my daughters. Super cute.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 6:51 pm
emma07 wrote:
nonsense I buy them because I like them and can afford them!

Can you please explain liking sneakers that look old and worn out? Liking them to the point of spending $300-$500 on them? Do your kids wear all their shoes worn out and dirty or only those one's because they're brand name? Do you like worn out dirty clothing or only brand name $500 worn out dirty clothing? I'm really trying to understand the logic.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics