Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
REcipe for hamentashen with yeast?

chocolate fondue

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 4:56 pm
Where I live, (in London) the bakeries make a soft hamentash dough, I guess with yeast and I really prefer it to the cookie dough kind. Does anyone have a recipe for such hamentashen?

Imawoman

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:03 pm
1 package (2-1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/3-cup sugar
1-teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1-cup warm water
1/3-cup vegetable oil
1 large egg

Egg Wash:

1 large egg
1-tablespoon water

Filling

Purchased filling of your choice!

Combine all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together all liquid ingredients. Gradually add dry ingredients to the liquid to form a dough. Knead dough for 5 - 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Spray a large mixing bowl with Pam and place dough inside. Spray Pam on dough and cover loosely with a towel until dough doubles in size.

Punch down dough. Divide into thirds on a lightly floured surface. Roll out each piece until it is ¼-inch thick. Cut out 3 -inch rounds. Reroll scraps. Place filling in the center of each dough round. Fold three sides up to form a triangle, leaving some filling exposed in the center.

Place hamentashen 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Cover again and let rise at room temperature until nearly double, about one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush tops of the hamentashen with the egg wash. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:03 pm
my mil uses her challa dough recipe.

chocolate fondue

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:32 pm
thanks so much - now I jsut have to find the energy to make it Smile (I'm preg and TIRED!!!! Boruch Hashem)

egam

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 2:45 pm
This dough is very easy to make and work with.

Yield: 60 hamantaschen using a 3" round cutter

4 cups flour
3/4 cup pareve milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast
1 beaten egg
Heat milk, sugar, and margarine. Cool to lukewarm. Measure warm water into bowl and add the yeast. Stir and set aside until it bubbles.
Add milk mixture, eggs, half the flour, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add rest of the flour and mix to form soft dough. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Dough can be stored in fridge for 2 days.
Divide dough into 3 balls. Roll each ball out approximately 1/4" thick. Cut out round shapes with glass. Fill with desired filing. Press corners together into triangular shape. If you do not want filling to be seen, pinch dough closed and bake side down. Let rise 1/2 hour. Smear with egg. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until golden.
This dough can also be used for kokosh cake (chocolate yeast roll) and cinnamon buns.

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 11:42 am
Imawoman, how many hamentashen does your recipe make?

su7kids

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:19 pm
egam wrote:
This dough is very easy to make and work with.

Yield: 60 hamantaschen using a 3" round cutter

4 cups flour
3/4 cup pareve milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast
1 beaten egg
Heat milk, sugar, and margarine. Cool to lukewarm. Measure warm water into bowl and add the yeast. Stir and set aside until it bubbles.
Add milk mixture, eggs, half the flour, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add rest of the flour and mix to form soft dough. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Dough can be stored in fridge for 2 days.
Divide dough into 3 balls. Roll each ball out approximately 1/4" thick. Cut out round shapes with glass. Fill with desired filing. Press corners together into triangular shape. If you do not want filling to be seen, pinch dough closed and bake side down. Let rise 1/2 hour. Smear with egg. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until golden.
This dough can also be used for kokosh cake (chocolate yeast roll) and cinnamon buns.

I went to make this recipe, and it says to add eggs, but there is no mention of the eggs except the 1 beaten egg. Anyone know if this will work if I don't put in any more eggs. I assumed that beaten egg was for painting the top of the hamantashen when its baking.

HELP.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus