Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need advice, bungalow owners what do you do?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:49 pm
B"h bought a bungalow. Can you advise me on what to stock there year round and what to shlep back and forth?

Thank you

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:52 pm
Bungalow or summer home?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Bungalow or summer home?

A small house with other owned houses around it, with neighbors?

Whichever you think fits. Point is only we have access and can leave stuff there year round.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:12 pm
We leave in our bungalow:
Linen
Towels
Kitchen stuff
Cleaning supplies
Toys/books/games
We basically only bring clothing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
We leave in our bungalow:
Linen
Towels
Kitchen stuff
Cleaning supplies
Toys/books/games
We basically only bring clothing.

Thank you. I planned linen & towels & cleaning stuff so far. I am up to kitchen and this is where I got stuck. That is a lot of stuff. After a couple of pots, knives, dishes, cups & flatware I started thinking about all the other things I use at home. Do you stock it fully? Crockpot? Small appliances? So many things...baking supplies, measuring & mixing things....you fully 100% set up the kitchen?

minnie mouse

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:30 pm
I stocked my kitchen slowly. Every year I bought 1 or 2 new kitchen items.

amother
White

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:33 pm
summer weekends I try to schlep only fresh food that's cheaper/easier to procure at home (meats, specialty stuff, etc. I try to not stress about remembering every last onion or banana since I can get that nearby)

at the start of the season, I "demote" almost worn out slippers, shoes, clothes, etc, half bottles of soap/detergent for summer use, rotate in spare pantry items such as coffee sweeteners/powdered coffee creamer, etc... when we get ready to close up for fall, anything too spent is chucked without guilt. we can certainly re-stock as needed, or pack special clothes if we need for a special occasion or unusually cold weather, etc...

I try for duplicates of very special stuffies, etc so the weekend goes smoothly, but they usually come come in fall so there's a well-loved one that can take up summer residence next year. a special toy might need to go in the back and forth tote if little one is particular.

linens, cookware, etc. stay year-round sometimes some clothes if something held up well.

I also designate a special tote for back/forth that gets filled during the week - something I bought specific to re-stock, a new magazine that came in the mail to read, etc

Fave

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:34 pm
I leave everything except for food.

amother
White

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:38 pm
kitchen stuff I keep very simple. basics. if something to serve is super fussy, I prep most of it at home. I'd work in my bigger kichen at home and rather relax on the weekend

we do go up in the spring and fall, so I did get the smallest crockpot that meets our needs. I did find that I like it for summer use too - doesn't heat up the place and sloppy joes, bbq sauce chicken, baked beans etc is so summery!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I planned linen & towels & cleaning stuff so far. I am up to kitchen and this is where I got stuck. That is a lot of stuff. After a couple of pots, knives, dishes, cups & flatware I started thinking about all the other things I use at home. Do you stock it fully? Crockpot? Small appliances? So many things...baking supplies, measuring & mixing things....you fully 100% set up the kitchen?

I don't own but we rent an empty one and have to bring up our own kitchen every year.

The list is:
Dairy pan for omelette
Dairy pot for pasta
2-3 meat pots
Instant pot
Real baking pan + Parchment paper
Real: spatula, garlic press, mixing/serving spoons, some salad bowls, knives.

That's it. Disposable cutlery and plates, lots of 9x13 pans so there isn't dishes to do.

Its a lot nicer to own your home obviously and have a second, full kitchen. But we do lots of grilling. With no dishes, clean up takes 10 minutes. It kind of feels like not regular life which is very nice for two months.

If you will come for half a year then yeah get everything.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:32 pm
The difference of home/bungalow is usually if it’s winterized. My bungalow is definitely not, everything including mattresses are covered and put away for the winter.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:22 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
The difference of home/bungalow is usually if it’s winterized. My bungalow is definitely not, everything including mattresses are covered and put away for the winter.

Our bungalow is not winterized. We leave everything there besides food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics