Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO videos for DS20 experiencing psychosis now

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:21 pm
DS20 is normally a very smart, yeshivish masmid.

He’s in the throes of mental illness, most likely bipolar disorder.

In between doctor visits now, he’s agitated and paranoid and restless. He’s angry at himself that he can’t learn.

I thought of the video I’d read about recently of Rabbi Meir Shapiro and started watching it with him, but he couldn’t follow it.

Any other videos you can suggest? Perhaps an old Hasc Concert? I’d rather buy something at Nigunmusic or something like that, than find something on YouTube where he can click around to other videos that may scare him.

Oh he resents when I tell him not to go outside on his own, he tells me I’m treating him like a baby (true, but he did dangerous things outside the other day), so he won’t appreciate kiddie videos!

Please send ideas!! And hugs to this Amother going through hell!!!

Kiwi13

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:26 pm
What does he like to watch? Why can't he pick?

I'm so sorry for what he and you are going through. I have bipolar, and I've been there. It's really hard, but it can get better. He can have a normal life again, sooner than you might think.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:27 pm
What about a video game/computer game/game with you? Might be more engaging than a video.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:31 pm
Maybe something like this? https://mostlymusic.com/collec.....ction

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:54 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/vide....._cu_r

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:22 pm
If he is a danger to himself and in psychosis, he doesn't need videos. He needs Hatzolah NOW!

Please don't push this off. The sooner he gets treatment, the better the prognosis.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:29 pm
OP, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

I recently spoke with someone who had been treated for psychosis. She shared that during her episode, she was unable to concentrate on anything, not even her favorite movie. So if the neurotransmitters or biochemicals or whatever are out of whack, that's what needs to be dealt with.

It may be that your son responds differently, but if he doesn't at least you'll know why Sad

Wishing him refuas hanefesh...

ETA - I agree with FF. People in the grip of psychosis are in danger, because the illness can overtake their freedom of choice (chas v'sholom).

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:34 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
OP, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

I recently spoke with someone who had been treated for psychosis. She shared that during her episode, she was unable to concentrate on anything, not even her favorite movie. So if the neurotransmitters or biochemicals or whatever are out of whack, that's what needs to be dealt with.

It may be that your son responds differently, but if he doesn't at least you'll know why Sad

Wishing him refuas hanefesh...

Yes to this. My dh went through a psychotic period and he couldn't focus on anything. He tried bits and pieces of random hobbies (musical instruments, videos, listening to music, building things) but it was very choppy and disorganized. Just offer him whatever he is usually interested in and give him space. (And get him the help he needs which I am sure you are). Major hugs.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:22 pm
Oy! Major hugs OP!

Hashkifa.com
I think they have some excellent videos.
(Didn’t watch but looked very good)

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:29 pm
Did u check him for Lyme disease? Or post covid inflammatory disease? They can present as psychosis/bipolar

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:53 pm
I think people need to stop making assumptions about what OP is or is not doing with her son in terms of his medical care.
I think people need to stop judging and telling her what she's doing wrong.

The ones who are just supporting and encouraging please continue.
if you have ideas for things to keep him busy or access to HASC videos share.
Send hugs
and warm words.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 4:01 pm
Hugs from a mother whose been there with her DD.

(some of the concentration issues she had were from the meds. She was able to get off certain meds that affected her concentration, once she was stable.)

It's a tough, tough ride. Loads of hugs. Loads.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 5:34 pm
People you need to read the original post carefully before jumping on the op. She clearly said her son is in between Dr visits. She is taking care of her son in the best way possible. She is coming on imamother for chizzuk and tips for helping him cope.
Op, I daven that his dr is the right shaliach to bring him to recovery very soon

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:08 pm
OP I came across this today and wanted to share it with you.
HaShamayim Misaprim

A Niflaos HaBorei film
Www.jewishcenterforscience.com

There are a series of Jewish (frum) science themed programs:
Outer space
Iceland
The Amazon

I didn’t watch but they look great. There’s a free trailer go see if he likes it.

(If he likes nature movies - Disney+ had a whole section of nature movies (but obv not from a frum perspective)

I really hope this helps and he has healing.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Oy! Major hugs OP!

Hashkifa.com
I think they have some excellent videos.
(Didn’t watch but looked very good)

Yes! Hashkifa!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I think people need to stop making assumptions about what OP is or is not doing with her son in terms of his medical care.
I think people need to stop judging and telling her what she's doing wrong.

This is what OP wrote:
Quote:

He’s in the throes of mental illness, most likely bipolar disorder.

In between doctor visits now, he’s agitated and paranoid and restless. He’s angry at himself that he can’t learn.

Oh he resents when I tell him not to go outside on his own, he tells me I’m treating him like a baby (true, but he did dangerous things outside the other day)

OP, I have bipolar disorder, fast cycling. It's a nightmare to deal with, especially when your head is spinning in a million different directions. It doesn't matter if you're "to up" or "too down", it's equally bad. VIDEOS DO NOT HELP!

PLEASE, get him checked into a facility if he's a danger to himself or others! I hope you've put in an emergency call to his doctors to get him seen sooner. He doesn't need to suffer like this, and neither do you.

B'H, with some trial and error with my meds, I am living a (usually) stable and functional life. I still have highs and lows, but they are so much more manageable now. I'm self aware enough to get help when I need it, and I know when I'm going off the rails.

With the right help, it CAN get better. Hug
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics