Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you feel about cooking?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

hodeez

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:49 am
I much prefer baking

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:49 am
I hate cooking. I make dishes that take minutes to make. That way everything takes a very short time to get a meal ready.
And I hardly bake.

Brownies

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:55 am
Hate it. I have a cleaner a couple of times a week but I often think that I would prefer to have a cook and do the cleaning up myself. BH my husband and kids really like my food...it's not because of that... it just seems so never-ending and time consuming - especially in comparison with the time it takes for the food to be consumed!! I wish I enjoyed it as I find it to be a major part of being a Jewish wife and mother, especially living OOT with few options for takeout or even just buying a few things to supplement a Shabbos meal.

scruffy

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:56 am
I love the freedom of cooking and how you give everything your own twist.

I became my family cook back in middle school and cooked supper, Shabbos and YT since then.

enjoying kids

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:57 am
In theory I love cooking, but I don't have time. I hate rushed cooking that takes place when I'm exhausted after a day of work, with kids screaming all around.

imaima

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:08 am
sun inside rain wrote:
Just curious, do you feel like cooking is no big deal bec you're not cooking much on a regular shabbos and yt only comes out a few times a year? Or does it feel like it's hard and a lot, like you always need to cook and by the time you're done, it's time to cook for the next shabbos or yt?

The second option

Seriously I want to give you a hug just for starting this thread.

I hate having to always cook!!!
I like occasional cooking of interesting foods, but not when it's my daily chore.

saybesser

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:11 am
I love cooking I have so much fun like experimenting and trying to be creative and artsy but I dislike baking because it's more science and I can't have too much fun mixing things up

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:15 am
I LOVE COOKING! I started cooking meals when I was 11 I had a children cookbook and made recipes from there. The same with baking, I head a Roald Dahl baking book as a kid and I started baking... I still now have a few cookbooks I use reguraly Hoffy's from Antwerp (THEY HAVE A COOKBOOK), Ottolenghi (duh), Peas love and Carrots and I friend of mine bought me Raizel Frieds L'kevod shabbos kodesh but I'm afraid since I'm on lowcarb diet I have nothing to cook from that book!!! Mostly My husband cleans up after I cooked dinner because I did the groceries and cooking and the like.

Yeah I love cooking...... share me all the recipes you got from heimish to sephardic

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Same. But I never freeze because I would rather cook up a new pot than find freezer space and wash containers. Washing containers is the absolute worst as they are slimier than the pot.
Also, I would definitely leave the soup in the pot so that I only have to wash it once when we finish the soup.
can totally relate to washing slimy containers. it was a game changer when I got disposable containers. worth every penny!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:22 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I LOVE COOKING! I started cooking meals when I was 11 I had a children cookbook and made recipes from there. The same with baking, I head a Roald Dahl baking book as a kid and I started baking... I still now have a few cookbooks I use reguraly Hoffy's from Antwerp (THEY HAVE A COOKBOOK), Ottolenghi (duh), Peas love and Carrots and I friend of mine bought me Raizel Frieds L'kevod shabbos kodesh but I'm afraid since I'm on lowcarb diet I have nothing to cook from that book!!! Mostly My husband cleans up after I cooked dinner because I did the groceries and cooking and the like.

Yeah I love cooking...... share me all the recipes you got from heimish to sephardic
OMG Hoffy‘s has a cookbook? how come that they don‘t sell it in the restaurant! is it good?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:24 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I hate cooking. I make dishes that take minutes to make. That way everything takes a very short time to get a meal ready.
And I hardly bake.

wow, can totally relate to that! would be very happy to hear your quick recipes please!

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
OMG Hoffy‘s has a cookbook? how come that they don‘t sell it in the restaurant! is it good?

They used to sell it in their restaurant too, the daughter sells it in her own store iirc and you can buy it online. It has the heimishe recipes but for Max 6 persons...
I can sent u pics but it’s all written in Dutch but they have recipes for Holishkes, helzel, krupnik....

I baked the honey cake and it was a huge succes the paprikash chicken wasn’t and the kugel is too fat, stuffed paprika is good and there is a history about their family.
I hope now that kleinblatt comes with their baking book 😂

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:49 am
I'm a pretty decent cook (according to my audience anyway) but I have no interest in cooking. Maybe if I didn't have to cook for Shabbos every week and get dinner on the table every night and feed hungry hordes 3 meals a day plus snacks then I would enjoy it more. And it's not just the cooking - it's the meal planning and the shopping and the schlepping and putting all the groceries away and then all the chopping and washing of dishes. Plus, it never ends!

I know my husband and kids enjoy cooking and baking when they do so voluntarily. The best present I get for my birthday every year is a birthday Shabbos, when DH and the kids do all the planning, shopping, cooking, serving, and cleaning.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:58 am
I’m a good efficient cook after ten years of catering and the restaurant it I’m STILL burned out and my last event was in 2018.

Thankfully all the adults and especially my husband and son (25, ASD) make sure the test of us are fed most of the time. I like eggs and rarely do I eat them because there’s nothing else to eat.

That said I keep my cooking simple. I buy fish ‘scraps’ at my local grocery store for cheap and throw seasons on it and bake It. I use whole pieces of meat with bones by throwing spices on and baking It. I have some whole eggplant I’ll be making into babaganouch and some zucchini I’ll be boiling to make a zucchini mush salad. Caramelized onions are the biggest amount of work for the zuchini

We have a sous vide and use that for most meats and boneless chicken thighs. We cook to a certain temp and then finish on oven or grill.

Today I’m making a few quick dishes for Shabbat and my hub will do the rest. I have to make a cooking video for my class, so I’ll have to talk it through but I think that’s the most effort I’ll make today.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Fri, May 07 2021, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:01 am
I've loved food and everything to do with food since infancy.
So of course I love cooking and baking too. It's also my most significant creative outlet as I'm not artistic or crafty.
I don't really mind the clean up anymore either.
I find cooking very therapeutic. I get into a 'flow' that really focuses and relaxes me and boosts my mood.
I hate being disturbed though when I'm cooking so it was much harder when the kids were young and needy for attention.
As one poster also described, I cater to very limited eaters and that does kill some of the joy unfortunately. It would be so nice to experiment more or just to cook whatever took my fancy.

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:03 am
I love cooking but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to cook a whole shabbos (menu planning, shopping, cooking, baking, cleaning up, setting the table) each and every week.

keym

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:10 am
I love cooking. I even live the shopping and preparing process.
But I hate dealing with picky eaters and allergies, and I hate, hate the clean-up and putting away.

moonstone

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:20 am
I hate grocery shopping and cooking, would much rather clean. I don't love cleaning, but would choose it over cooking any day.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:32 am
I dislike cooking. I do it because I have to.

Twinster

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:34 am
I love cooking and experimenting (and of course all the tasting). But I can’t stand the mess it creates and I dislike the cleanup. It’s not so much the cleaning itself that I dislike, but the fact that it comes once I’m already exhausted from the cooking.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen