Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bridal Shower

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:38 am
I was invited to a bridal shower but have never been to one before.
What the proper etiquette with bringing gifts?
I have no experience or practical knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance!

Fabulous

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:40 am
Ask the person who is arranging it. Some prefer you chip in to a big gift, some prefer you buy something from the registry, some prefer a gag gift or a real
Gift. It’s really what was pre arranged.

watergirl

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:53 am
The purpose of a bridal shower is a literally to shower the bride with gifts. Generally, those who have bridal showers also have guest registries. That information is typically written on the invitation, but if it is not, you should ask the hostess where the couple is registered. A bridal shower gift does not exempt you from a wedding gift either, if you attend the wedding. Also, wedding etiquette in terms of bridal showers means that if you are invited to the shower, you will also be invited to the wedding. Just something to keep in mind if you choose to attend the shower.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:09 am
The short answer is that you bring the gift to the shower. In my experience opening the gifts is part of the "entertainment". Depending on what kind of shower it is, the wrapping will be used to make a giant hat for the bride which she will wear and be photographed in. There are also some other typical shower games but making something from the wrapping paper seems to be pretty universal. The only time this didn't occur was when the shower was a relatively small brunch type of affair at a very fancy venue.

It really never hurts to ask the hostess but - again in my experience - if there is a theme or a joint gift of some kind of a registry - the hostess will have told you about it in the invitation. Since the "party girl" isn't hosting the event, normal etiquette about mentioning gifts doesn't hold since the hostess can freely provide information about gift giving without being viewed as gauche. But call her up - at the minimum ask if there is a theme. I have been to ones that are lingerie and others that are specifically cooking or baking themed.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:11 am
Agree with above posters- gift giving is the point of the shower and usually opening the gifts is a part of the festivities. There should have been registry information on the invite, but if not reach out to hostess (not bride) and ask if there is one or is there a specific theme. For my sisters shower that I hosted, we didn’t want people spending so much on engagement gifts so we said get anything but under $25 only. If you are unsure, ask

Also to above poster, very interesting about the wrapping paper. I’ve never seen or heard of that before

Amarante

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:16 am
[quote="amother [ Floralwhite ]

Also to above poster, very interesting about the wrapping paper. I’ve never seen or heard of that before[/quote]

There is the even “zanier” competition where the group divides into teams and makes a wedding dress from toilet paper. LOL

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:16 am
I've been to different showers and there's a range of what could happen- entertainment, crowd size, food, in terms of a gift.

Ask the person who's arranging the shower and she'll be happy to tell you what is expected of you.

I had a friend who's not domestic and didn't want a KitchenAid etc. and instead every guest gave her a book. She loved it Smile

That's very atypical but my point is to find out what the program will be and what the expectations are.

Also often it's a surprise so you wouldn't want to accidentally give anything away..

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:17 am
Posters above said it all,
But if the gift is whatever you want a great gift is a bunch of color coded knives.
I like the ones that say parve, dairy, meat
If you want more add the cutting boards and maybe a pack of stickers

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I've been to different showers and there's a range of what could happen- entertainment, crowd size, food, in terms of a gift.

Ask the person who's arranging the shower and she'll be happy to tell you what is expected of you.

I had a friend who's not domestic and didn't want a KitchenAid etc. and instead every guest gave her a book. She loved it Smile

That's very atypical but my point is to find out what the program will be and what the expectations are.

Also often it's a surprise so you wouldn't want to accidentally give anything away..

Yes, just wanted to stress that usually the party is a surprise for the bride. Don't ask her about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 7:04 pm
Thank you all who took the time to explain and educate me Smile
I'll ask the hostess if there is a theme

watergirl

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yes, just wanted to stress that usually the party is a surprise for the bride. Don't ask her about it.

Really? I’ve been to a LOT of showers and not one was a surprise.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:14 am
watergirl wrote:

Mine was a surprise. Although I probably suspected my friends would make me one, but I knew nothing about it.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:40 am
watergirl wrote:

Ok, I've never been to one that wasn't (at least in theory). But because it's a possibility, I would ask for clarification from whoever sent the invitation.

Frenchfry

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:51 am
Amarante wrote:
The short answer is that you bring the gift to the shower. In my experience opening the gifts is part of the "entertainment". Depending on what kind of shower it is, the wrapping will be used to make a giant hat for the bride which she will wear and be photographed in. There are also some other typical shower games but making something from the wrapping paper seems to be pretty universal. The only time this didn't occur was when the shower was a relatively small brunch type of affair at a very fancy venue.

It really never hurts to ask the hostess but - again in my experience - if there is a theme or a joint gift of some kind of a registry - the hostess will have told you about it in the invitation. Since the "party girl" isn't hosting the event, normal etiquette about mentioning gifts doesn't hold since the hostess can freely provide information about gift giving without being viewed as gauche. But call her up - at the minimum ask if there is a theme. I have been to ones that are lingerie and others that are specifically cooking or baking themed.

Lingerie???? Really???
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette